Wheels/Tires Questions and discussion about wheels and tires should be posted here.

Rear tire blowout

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2015, 11:05 AM
brimic
Road Captain
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Rear tire blowout

About a week ago, I dropped my rear wheel (from a 98 fxdwg), a new tire (Shinko), and tube off at a 'power sports' store to have it changed. I had done the front myself, and didn't have time that day to do the rear, and for $25 or so it was worth it to avoid the hassle.
The service manager told me the tube I provided wouldn't work because it had a rubber stem (ordered off amazon- description of tube was poorly written) and needed a steel stem- I didn't argue, and bought one of their tubes.

Last night was the first time I rode the bike with any kind of speed. I had rode it to my GF's house the night before which was 45mph all the way, then a 45-50mph commute to work. On the way home it was open freeway, when I tried passing a semi and hit 70-75, the rear started wobbling really bad, I clutched it and rolled to the shoulder. Back tire was flat.

I had it towed home, put it up on a jack and found no holes/screws/nails in the tire. The tire was off the bead on the left side, and lo and behold I found a nick in the tube that looked like the right place and size from a tire iron.
I'm guessing they weakened the tube on installation, and the first time I put any real stress on the tube/tire, it blew.

I sent the shop a lengthy email this morning, but haven't gotten a call or email back. I want to at least get my money back for the shoddy work they did.

Old 10-20-2015, 11:39 AM
Imold
another old guy

Received 4,617 Likes on 2,727 Posts

Probably won't find anybody that will be as careful with a tube as you are with your own. I'd have to have a tube replaced if I was on a trip with a tubed tire, but I'd probably feel so nervous about it I'd put another one in when I got home. I don't like anyone else touching my wheels or brakes. Anything else, actually.

Lucky on the high speed flat, I had a piece of rebar rip a sidewall open at 60+, had a tube, but a tubeless wouldn't have made a difference with a 4" gash in the sidewall. The tire came off the rim, half on one side, half on the other. Was like riding over a bunch of 2x4", back end bounced all over the place. Didn't have time to think, just instinctively pulled the front brake and leaned forward to get the weight off the rear; must have lifted it a bit, really slammed down hard when it stopped. The way it was bouncing sideways, and farther each swing (only did it 2 or 3 times before hitting the front brake), I'm sure I was close to highsiding. One of my worst scares on a bike. I wish they hadn't stopped making run flat motorcycle tires, felt a lot more secure on those at high speeds.

Old 10-21-2015, 08:23 AM
nibroc
Road Warrior
Received 213 Likes on 160 Posts

youre real lucky ya didn't crash