Wheels/Tires Questions and discussion about wheels and tires should be posted here.

Ruined Axel threading. New axel?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2018, 06:02 PM
zal
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,084 Likes on 1,601 Posts

Go OEM, save the headache. Also, you know they would use the proper metal making the axle.

Old 04-21-2018, 06:05 PM
multihdrdr
Club Member
Received 2,237 Likes on 1,813 Posts

Yeah, it won't work for you...your 07 has a 25mm axle (that's almost 1"), 2000-06 is 3/4".

Either Buy a discounted OEM (Boardtracker, Surdyke, Newcastle, etc) or get that V-Twin axle for $44.00 I posted above with link

Old 04-21-2018, 06:07 PM
Campy Roadie
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,063 Likes on 2,501 Posts

Refer to my post early on in this thread. Order the OEM one for a 133 bucks, throw a couple other comsumables in the order and get free shipping. Consider the cost of the axle as "tuition".

Old 04-21-2018, 06:24 PM
Herk driver
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Nomadmax
Refer to my post early on in this thread. Order the OEM one for a 133 bucks, throw a couple other comsumables in the order and get free shipping. Consider the cost of the axle as "tuition".
thanks for the link, that's the route I'm going now. Just need to see what other goodies I want and get that free shipping. Luckily adjure will take the axle back. This has turned into an expensive lesson

Old 04-21-2018, 07:30 PM
CoolBreeze3646
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 19,542 Likes on 6,895 Posts

" This has turned into an expensive lesson"

Suggest you put the pipe wrench away and use the proper tools. If you do not have a service manual, spend the extra $$ and get one. Pipe Wrench's are for pipes, not motorcycles.

Old 04-21-2018, 07:39 PM
bustert
Grand HDF Member
Received 715 Likes on 626 Posts

you can make one from a drill rod, will not be chrome but will be way better steel. that can be repaired by welding the nub and turning to size for new threads and the flat machined. if it were mine, exactly what i would do. bring it to a machine shop for estimate. hd axles are not exotic material.

Old 04-21-2018, 08:40 PM
Herk driver
6th Gear

Originally Posted by coolbreeze3646
" This has turned into an expensive lesson"

Suggest you put the pipe wrench away and use the proper tools. If you do not have a service manual, spend the extra $$ and get one. Pipe Wrench's are for pipes, not motorcycles.
roger that.. I have a decent set back home, was trying to get by with what I had available while away. Was a mistake. Im adding motorcycle repairs to my list of things that shouldn't be rushed along with hair cuts and flying planes.

Old 04-21-2018, 08:43 PM
Herk driver
6th Gear

Originally Posted by bustert
you can make one from a drill rod, will not be chrome but will be way better steel. that can be repaired by welding the nub and turning to size for new threads and the flat machined. if it were mine, exactly what i would do. bring it to a machine shop for estimate. hd axles are not exotic material.
interesting option.. so I assume you just take the old one in so they can take the exact dimensions from which they will make a duplicate from whatever kind of metal I request ? Pardon my ignorance, but is a drill rod a specific kind of steel, or are there variations within that category ? I'm not knowledgeable on alloys

Old 04-22-2018, 09:05 AM
bustert
Grand HDF Member

drill rod is what they make drill bits from
option to have one made is there, but:

they can repair that one. they weld up the buggered part, chuck in a lathe and turn to proper size and cut new threads and machine the flats.
no hill for a stepper.
now for a little tip:
when you have a flatted surface like your jpeg, get a nut for the thread and then add two large as possible set screws opposite each other to engage the flats, tighten down and now you have a nut to grab and NOT the flat. really want to lock it down, dimple the flat under the set screw.

Old 04-22-2018, 03:48 PM
bustert
Grand HDF Member

let us know it you get an estimate and how much???

how long and weight of the axle. fit in priority box?

Quick Reply: Ruined Axel threading. New axel?