Wheels/Tires Questions and discussion about wheels and tires should be posted here.

Are my tires too old?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2011, 08:09 AM
Ron750
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,515 Likes on 6,271 Posts
Default Are my tires too old?

Just bought a 2003 100th anniversary FLHTCUI, with only 2090 miles. I am excited that I got a bike with such low miles, but am concerned about the age of tires. Is there an age when they should be replaced even though they have low miles? The bike is in storage so I haven't checked the manufacture date on tire, but obviously they are at least 8 years old.

Old 03-16-2011, 01:40 PM
LA VIC
Road Master
Received 43 Likes on 41 Posts

Lots of opinions on this one I'll bet. Heat and sun light both can degrade tires. Bikes stored in sheds (especially in the south with high temps)for extended periods of time can see tires degrade fast. The obvious place to see heat related damage in on the side walls. Look for cracks. they won't necessarily be big.You should have none. Now, I have rode on tires with what looked like small spider web cracks on the side walls. They had little tread wear but the bike was stored in a shed for a couple years. Would I chance it again? Nope. I'm a lot older now and don't feel quite as bullet proof as I used to.

Old 03-16-2011, 01:58 PM
Sandcrab
Stellar HDF Member
Received 381 Likes on 226 Posts
Default Depends

Five major automakers, BMW, Chrysler, Ford, Toyota and Volkswagen/Audi, already warn against using tires beyond the six-year point, and three tire producers -- Bridgestone-Firestone, Continental and Michelin -- recommend a 10-year age limit.

The Rubber Manufacturers Association, which represents tire makers, disagrees with age limits. They contend that factors such as storage, maintenance and weather are more important.

Old 03-16-2011, 02:37 PM
CHOPPIN' CHARLIE
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Cool Any doubt or question

Originally Posted by RT750
Just bought a 2003 100th anniversary FLHTCUI, with only 2090 miles. I am excited that I got a bike with such low miles, but am concerned about the age of tires. Is there an age when they should be replaced even though they have low miles? The bike is in storage so I haven't checked the manufacture date on tire, but obviously they are at least 8 years old.
When in doubt, punt! Tires are very important to your safety and it can be said in several ways. But, start with comfort. Old dried out tires cannot compare to a good quality new tire. Take a couple of rides with as is and get new ones for comparison and you will probably grin each time you think of old and new. All other up grades can wait but your safety is first, then comfort, then performance, then bling. I don't like to hear someone say "I can get 500 or 600 more miles on these old worn out tires." I feel the risk is too great to push it. A friend wanted my old tires and against my judgement, I gave them to him and guess what?, we were on the Blue Ridge Parkway when after about 1200 miles he got out my old tires, his rear tire gave out. He was ok but bike, leather clothes & helment wern't. Took a ton of $$ to return to right and I still feel "my fault" but neither of us has mentioned tires as a factor in the wreck. I stop.

Old 03-16-2011, 07:16 PM
Ron750
Seasoned HDF Member
Default Thanks

Thanks everyone. Guess, I'll have to get a quote on new tires.

Old 03-17-2011, 01:00 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,853 Likes on 2,420 Posts
Thumbs up

Thanks everyone. Guess, I'll have to get a quote on new tires.
That is what I would do. I have just fitted new tyres on my 03 Dyna, bought new, but with low miles. It spends all its non-riding time in the dark, but I could see the tyres were showing their age. Also they are Dunlops and they ain't anything to write home about, so it has Avon Venoms on it now!

Old 03-18-2011, 01:47 AM
Ron750
Seasoned HDF Member
Default Update

I talked to the service department where I bought the bike and they said the bike was safery inspected and the tires are fine. Dunlop says they are good for 10 years. So I am gonna pick up the bike and ride it to my local dealer. He also thought they should be good, but told me to stop by and he would check them for me. So before I let my bride ride, I'll make sure they're good or replace it. Tire failure not an option.

Old 03-22-2011, 08:00 PM
SG Guy
Intermediate
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Is there a easy way to tell if the tread is too low? A car tire has the wear bars, is there anything like that on the cycle tire?

Old 03-22-2011, 08:43 PM
Ron750
Seasoned HDF Member
Default Anybody use Doran 360M tire monitoring?

Several dealers and independent mechanics that I trust are telling me that the age of the tire should not be a problem as long as it was stored indoors out of the UV light. So I think I am going to keep the original tires and install visible tire pressure monitors like I had my last bike. Advance Auto sells Victor TPmonitors but only for 32psi and 36psi. http://www.tireqp.com/ sells American made chrome valve stem covers that come every 2 psi. The manual FLHT says F36 R38/40 but my dealer recommends 40 psi both so I am going to get 38 both wheels.
Any time I get on my bike a quick glance tells me if my PSI are WNL. I do like the idea of a wireless monitor that has transmitters either in the valve cover, or in the tire. What do you guys think? link below.

http://www.doranmfg.com/motorcycle-t...ng-systems.htm

Old 03-22-2011, 09:02 PM
lo-rider
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default ?

...So I think I am going to keep the original tires and install visible tire pressure monitors like I had my last bike...
What do you guys think?...
I think you should re-examine your priorities and put the money towards new tires. Your old ones may not even have visible signs of deterioration, but are more than 8 years old, and have age-hardened, losing some of their grip. You will notice an immediate improvement in the ride & handling. What's more important: safe tires or saving time checking the pressure?

Quick Reply: Are my tires too old?