Wheels/Tires Questions and discussion about wheels and tires should be posted here.

Rear tire every 7000mi

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2011, 01:58 PM
shineybike
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Got the e-3's installed. Have put maybe 50 miles on so far. They seem to be fine on the 3" rims. The bike sits slightly higher, I can feel it in my legs when I put my feet on the ground but not really noticeable when I look at the bike. The indy installer said they are noisier than the stock tires and will be more quiet when turning. Not sure I can tell the difference. I'm using counteract balancing beads. I notice a slight vibration but it might just be the new tread. It doesn't change with speed. I'm running them at 36 psi front and 40 rear.

Old 07-11-2011, 06:13 AM
Hitechluddite
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Anybody heard of E3's on a Sportster? I've been running Metz 880 Marathons, got 32k on the front and it looks like it's good for 5k more. The backs I've got 12k, 10k & 10k ready for another and looking to change.

Old 07-21-2011, 01:44 PM
julesdain
Road Captain

Received 97 Likes on 61 Posts

Temperature certainly has alot to do with tire wear. The UV rays also effect tires as they perish the rubber and cause the sidewalls to crack. I have almost 10'000 miles on my orignal D402's and they look like they will last at least another few thousand miles before I'll need to change them as the road temps here are simply alot less than say Texas or Florida.
The temp of the road will in very hot conditions softens the rubber to the point that you are leaving more rubber on the road. The cooler the road then the less tire wear as the rubber is harder, that could also effect the pressure in you tire which in turn will effect your tire wear.

Last edited by julesdain; 07-21-2011 at 02:22 PM. Reason: Spl
Old 07-21-2011, 01:48 PM
killerk95
Club Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, I've got 13,000 on my original tires. Rear could go another 2k probably, but am going out west in a couple weeks so will change it before we leave. Front has a good 4 or 5000 left on it. It really just depends on riding tecnique. If you go into every corner screaming then I guess they'd be shot in 7000. I tend to be safe and conservative I guess. Ride safe out there fellas...

Old 07-21-2011, 01:55 PM
Maclugie
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I am not an aggressive rider. Never more than 7500 miles front or rear on any bike with all different tire brands. I have never personally observed anyone I know get more than 8000 miles out of either front or back tire.

Old 07-21-2011, 02:03 PM
killerk95
Club Member

WOW, at that rate I wouldn't be able to ride due to changing tires and the cost. I wasn't trying to say anything about riding style, just my opinion. On my RKC I got 12 - 13000 on the rears as well, and front usually ran 20k.

Old 07-21-2011, 02:32 PM
julesdain
Road Captain

Received 97 Likes on 61 Posts

Here's an article I found on tire wear. It is a combination of factors which will effect you tire life.

1 tire selection and installation
Tires installed correctly or not directly related to the life of the tire, especially when the replacement tires. Different tire types and patterns, as the tire size and load capacity of the actual differences must not be arbitrarily mixed. Also, if you change your tires can not fully grasp the skills, we recommend you still go to a professional tire repair shop or business office special vehicle replacement.
2 pressure of work
Tire tire pressure is too low or too high, will affect tire life. If the tire pressure is too low, the radial deformation increases, fetal deformation over the wall on both sides, resulting in the phenomenon of tire wear crown shoulders, so that the tire temperature increases will seriously reduce the life of the tire.
If the tire pressure is too high, increasing the rigidity of the tire deformation and contact area decreases, so that the central unit tread pressure, increased wear, resulting in tire wear crowns the central phenomenon, affecting comfort and reduce tire life. Tests show that 25%% if the increased air pressure, tire life will be shortened about 30%%.
3 tire load
Loading of vehicles is larger, the shorter the tire’s life, this is beyond doubt. Especially in the case of overloading, and more highlight. Regular tire manufacturers to produce tires are marked with load index. Tire load index should specify the maximum load corresponding to the use.
4 speed
Regular tire manufacturers to produce tires are marked with the speed level index. Tires should be in the specified speed level index corresponding to the maximum speed for use.
5 tire temperature
Vehicles in the process, the tire due to be done, compression and friction, causing tire temperature increase. High temperature increase tire wear and even easier to puncture.
6 chassis status
Front and rear axle parallel, four-wheel position, brake and chassis other working conditions (torture) mechanical state of technology will have an effect on the tire life. The event of a serious traffic collisions, vehicle owners would have to open the chassis to the professional status of the maintenance station for inspection and adjustment.
7 road conditions
If a vehicle a long time in the gravel road or driving under poor road conditions, tire life will certainly be reduced. This is no exception for off-road vehicle tires.
8 driving habits
This is directly related to owner-related factors. Start too fast, sharp steering, emergency braking, a bad lot in the road at high speed, always up and down the road stopping teeth tire virtually scratch child and obstacles, will result in severe tire wear, thus reducing tire life.
9 tire maintenance
Tire timely transposition, choose the appropriate tread, daily ground maintenance, check tire pressure regularly, timely repair and handling of the stones dug tread, foreign body, are all important factors to extend tire life.
10 Vehicle Maintenance
Many experts say the vehicle maintenance vehicle to “third repair, seven support”, do not wait until a failure occurs before opening to the maintenance station maintenance. The vehicle’s regular maintenance and tire longevity is also closely linked. Four-wheel position, steering knuckle, wheel bearing and suspension system of regular inspections to maintain one less.

Old 07-22-2011, 05:20 PM
Mechanic77
3rd Gear

I'll add to the confusion ....I normally only get around 7500 mi out of my rear tire (402's), but I got 33,000 mi out of my original front tire....and it wasn't shot, I just wanted to try the E3's and the original front was starting to weather check a bit

I will add that I do ride a bit aggressive and ride in higher temps normally and my first E3 is at about 11,000 and it's needing replacement soon....maybe another couple thousand miles....if I push it ....oh, and the front still looks new...

'04 FLHT ridden solo, 40psi front/35psi rear

Old 07-31-2011, 07:09 PM
silvrbill
Road Warrior
Received 57 Likes on 41 Posts

7k is about average for a 200mm rear tire. The smaller tires seem to get better mileage. Some of the new 200mm tire have less tread depth to begin with than the smaller tires.

Last edited by silvrbill; 07-31-2011 at 07:12 PM.