Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

repalcement head unit

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2014, 02:06 AM
zyban
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default repalcement head unit

Hi all just after some help with a replacement head unit, i recently fitted a Pioneer head unit to my 07 Ultra only for it to shake to pieces in a matter of weeks & no longer work.

While the hu still has a display i no longer have sound, I have had everything tested & the fault is in the hu.

I have a spare Sony dsx-ms60 marine unit i was considering fitting but am hesitant to out lay more money if it will not handle the vibrations either.
what type of aftermarket hu's have other people fitted that have been able to handle the rigours of being fitted to a bike.

Last edited by zyban; 09-16-2014 at 05:54 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 09-16-2014, 07:54 AM
Gannicus
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 410 Likes on 377 Posts

Originally Posted by zyban
Hi all just after some help with a replacement head unit, i recently fitted a Pioneer head unit to my 07 Ultra only for it to shake to pieces in a matter of weeks & no longer work.

While the hu still has a display i no longer have sound, I have had everything tested & the fault is in the hu.

I have a spare Sony dsx-ms60 marine unit i was considering fitting but am hesitant to out lay more money if it will not handle the vibrations either.
what type of aftermarket hu's have other people fitted that have been able to handle the rigours of being fitted to a bike.

I have an 07 Ultra as well. Make sure the support brackets are secure on both sides. (The 07's had an issue with the support brackets.) Re-enforce the brackets and use this install kit. Fits like a glove and your radio won't move. I'm running a Sony 310 with no issues.

http://hawg-wired.com/product_info.p...th/51/pPath/89

Old 09-16-2014, 03:15 PM
zyban
Tourer

that's the kit i am using, i had my local dealer fit so i dont know about the support brackets, how would i get them to reinforce them?

Old 09-16-2014, 05:32 PM
Gannicus
Ultimate HDF Member

that's the kit i am using, i had my local dealer fit so i dont know about the support brackets, how would i get them to reinforce them?
If you are going to the dealer. . Just have them check the brackets to make sure they are tight. The dealer should be aware of the issue. I never take my bike to the dealer unless I'm getting a dyno tune or new cams. Everything else I do myself. If you have the hawg wired kit I mentioned you should be good to go. That is an excellent kit for aftermarket HU's. I would go ahead and install the marine unit and see how that works for you. It may be a little more durable. On another note I would do it myself if I were you. 7 bolts on the fairing and four bolts to take the radio out. Very easy to do. There are some guys on this forum who could almost do it blindfolded . . . If you need help all you have to do is ask. These guys (Including myself) are more than willing to help you.

Old 09-16-2014, 05:39 PM
zyban
Tourer

That would be good, I am mechanically minded just have no idea on how to take the front fairing off.

Old 09-16-2014, 09:38 PM
Gannicus
Ultimate HDF Member

That would be good, I am mechanically minded just have no idea on how to take the front fairing off.

Not a problem. . The only tool you will need is a Torx 27 T handle or a smitty with size 27 on it. There are three bolts holding the windshield on the outer fairing and four bolts on the inner fairing, Two upper bolts and two lower bolts. The left side upper is located at about 7 o'clock just below the speaker. The right side upper is located at about 5 o'clock just below the speaker. The bottom two bolts are located just inside the lower fairing cap towards the front of the neck. After all 7 of these bolts are removed the fairing is loose and the only thing left to do is disconnect the headlight harness and remove the outer fairing. At this point you will need a 3/16 long hex bit socket to remove the 4 bolts on the radio. (after you unplug the harness of course)

Old 10-11-2014, 04:25 AM
zyban
Tourer

Well I went with one of the New Jensen HD1BT Units, Time will tell if it is any good, Will be looking hard at a AQ-MP-5UBT-H Unit when they are released, If they are getting good reviews will update the Jensen & keep it as a Backup unit.