Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

To 1/4 fairing or not...

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2014, 09:00 AM
Dyna_Bagger85
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Default To 1/4 fairing or not...

My bike is getting a major cosmetic overhaul with a 23" 40 spoke wheel, going to Wide Glide triple trees, 2" stretched FLH bags with adapted Switchback mounting hardware, stretched 4" fender that may be chopped down. Building my own 2-1 exhaust out of my V&H short shot staggered's. Going to drag bars from 12" apes, not to happy with my Road 6 bars...feel to flimsy even with poly bushings. Also going from the 17" to a 16x5 rear rim (although an 18" is playing around in my head if I can sell my 16").

So here's my dilemma: I really love the look of the Arlen Ness OG 1/4 fairing and would give my bike a look of a cafe style dyna bagger. The batwing would make it look like every other Dyna bagger conversion...I want something different. Can't make up my mind and funds are about to be available to be able to purchase one.

Old 11-22-2014, 09:02 AM
harleyxlc
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I personally like the SB as is But with your choices, I would go with the AN to make it look different.

Old 11-22-2014, 09:06 AM
Dyna_Bagger85
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

That's the direction I'm leaning. Definitely wouldn't be like any other dyna out there, especially since paint won't be back!

Old 11-22-2014, 09:52 AM
Ape_Hanger
Road Master
Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts

If that's the look you want, go for it. It doesn't matter what me or anyone else on the internet thinks about it.

That said, I like the look of the 1/4 fairing on other people's bikes, but it's not my style. The only person I've talked to in person with a 1/4 fairing told me it's purely for aesthetics and does nothing to block the wind. So after hearing that, I would have absolutely no use for one since it's more form than function and I prefer the look of a naked front end, but it sounds like a certain look is what you're after so I say do it. You can always sell it and change it if you don't like it.

Old 11-22-2014, 04:27 PM
gartec81
Grand HDF Member
Received 838 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by Dyna_Bagger85
My bike is getting a major cosmetic overhaul with a 23" 40 spoke wheel, going to Wide Glide triple trees, 2" stretched FLH bags with adapted Switchback mounting hardware, stretched 4" fender that may be chopped down. Building my own 2-1 exhaust out of my V&H short shot staggered's. Going to drag bars from 12" apes, not to happy with my Road 6 bars...feel to flimsy even with poly bushings. Also going from the 17" to a 16x5 rear rim (although an 18" is playing around in my head if I can sell my 16").

So here's my dilemma: I really love the look of the Arlen Ness OG 1/4 fairing and would give my bike a look of a cafe style dyna bagger. The batwing would make it look like every other Dyna bagger conversion...I want something different. Can't make up my mind and funds are about to be available to be able to purchase one.

Poly bushings suck. Get solid riser plugs. Gets rid of all slop in them bars

Demon cycle stocks them. Ran them on my street bob with my buffalo 12" risers and skinny 24" drags

Also wide glides trees gonna rake your bike a little. Look like someone just kicked your front tire forward a bit.

What style are you going after. Stretched bags with a 23" spoke sounds like the cholo route but then your asking about a fairing and that sort of clashes with a cholo look. Then your slightly raking it with the wide glide trees like a chopper. But your going a wider rear rim. Are you dropping the rear to match the kicked out front. You will be marginally lower in the front with your stock trees on your forks. You have any pics for reference to help visually understand the look your after

Last edited by gartec81; 11-22-2014 at 04:32 PM.
Old 11-23-2014, 08:54 AM
tfalcon
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I love the look of the 1/4 fairing and tbars. A while back I got the arlen ness og fairing and after riding with it I couldn't stand it. Loved the look but the function of it wasn't there for me. I say go for it, if you don't like it you can always sell it.

Old 11-23-2014, 09:25 AM
pab3rd
Club Member

Received 213 Likes on 147 Posts

Have a 1/4 Ness fairing and T bars. Keeps wind off my chest and that is fine. Did not care for the look of a batwing or larger fairing. So happy with it as it is.

Old 11-23-2014, 03:09 PM
FXDBISBOB
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have sea shell HD 1/4 headlight fairing and 13.5 MX BARS. The fairing is mostly for looks. I mean tbars and mx bars look weak without it. The ness one is cheap dollar wise. But the HD one does block some wind from your body slightly. I ride with mid pegs and I got the "Tuck" going mostly. Braaaaaaaap.

Old 11-26-2014, 09:52 AM
Tfree
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 1/4 fairing

Very happy with my Conely's mid Glide 1/4 fairing. its all fiberglass and very sturdy in the wind and does a surprising amount of protection. i had the flat windscreen which acted like a sail in the wind. The 1/4 fairing definetly cuts it's way and is much more stable at speed. The installation was pretty simple also. Make sure you get the headlight extender. Be happy to share my install notes if you like..

Attached Thumbnails To 1/4 fairing or not...-harley-fairing.jpg