Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2005 super glide vibrating

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2015, 09:26 PM
WoodButcher66
Club Member
Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
Default 2005 super glide vibrating

My 2005 Dyna Super Glide Custom has had a bad vibration develop over the past week. I purchased the bike from the original owner in January with 11,600 miles on it. It now has 13025 miles on it. When I got it there was a little vibration in the handlebars, nothing I thought was unusual. Last weekend I noticed a vibration in the right foot peg. The vibration on the handle bars and the foot pegs has gotten worse since then. The vibration starts at low RPMs and intensifies until I get to about 55 MPH. Then it smooths out some.
I have checked everything I can think of. I can’t find anything loose.
I can’t find anything attached to the engine touching the frame other than the front pipe was very close to the right foot peg. I made a slight adjustment to the bracket tying the two pipes together and got a little move space between them.
I did find the front engine mount isolator was coming apart. I got a new one and replaced it according to the manual and the advice I have found on this site. I also did the motor alignment as it is outlined in the manual. The vibration is not as bad. But it is still there in the handle bars and both foot pegs but especially on the right foot peg.
I also noticed this evening there is what I can only describe as an occasional thump on the right foot peg.
Anyone have any suggestions? Any help at all would be appreciated.
TIA

Old 05-12-2015, 08:50 PM
WoodButcher66
Club Member
Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Update:
The vibration in my bike has gotten better. The vibration is more of a "buzzing" in the foot pegs and handle bars than a full blown vibration.
I have replaced the front motor mount as I stated earlier. I have tightened every, and I mean every, nut and bolt to the proper specs according to my manual. I have checked the rear wheel alignment, it was good. I am missing the front exhaust clamp. I have that ordered but I don't see how this can be the problem. I cannot find anything else wrong with this bike.

I checked the front wheel it was good, except for on thing. The wheel bearing on the front lever side is not seated all the way into the wheel. It is sticking out of the wheel approximately 1/8 of an inch. I pulled the front wheel off to check this. The rotor side bearing is fully seated, the spacer between the bearings seems to be touching the inner race on both bearing. The outer race on both bearings are touching the wheel. Everything seems to be tight and as it should be, except the bearing looking like it isn't completely seated. Has anyone else ever seen this?

Any input would be appreciated,
Kevin

Old 05-12-2015, 09:47 PM
dirtdobber
Elite HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

You will have a certain amount of vibs. Small things can cause the buzzing.
Has the bushings in the top tree been replaced? Check em. Wouldn't be a bad idea to check the front and rear mounts while your at it. If is just minor, it'll give you a chance to knöw your bike.