Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need some advice on a sissy bar install

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2015, 12:09 PM
user 8382390
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Need some advice on a sissy bar install

Ok, here it is. 2015 wide glide that has a factory installed short sissy bar. Bought a slims fab farm 24 inch. Slim with infinite wisdom cut a slot for the wires for the turn signal. Should be an easy install. Remove front torx screw, remove rear blinker screws, remove old sissy bar and insert new....no, in Harley's infinite wisdom, the rear turn signal screws are about 3 inches long which means they hit the tire and you can't back it all the way out without removing the rear tire from the bike. Additionally there is no slot for the turn signal wires on the factory bar. They an them straight through the turn signal bolt slots and it would appear they are sealed units with no plugs requiring me to cut the wires and then re spice. Surely I must be missing something. I can't believe I would have to remove the rear tire and cut my turn signal wires just to remove a sissy bar. At least slim thought ahead. If there were no factory bar the slims bar would be a drop in...any advice or am I missing something. If not then the new bar will sit on my shelf until I need a new rear tire. Not looking to disassemble my bike just for a sissy bar removal. Grrrrr!

Old 06-20-2015, 12:42 PM
Fireguy88
Road Master
Received 55 Likes on 41 Posts

I got you bro.
Your turn signals/license plate wires run along/under the fender and under your seat where the battery is. There are three plugs there. Unplug them and pull them all the way through the fender. Take a car jack and lift the rear of your bike using the frame. This will raise the fender and should allow the rear bolts to slide out. At least on my street bob it did. I think you may have a wider rear tire so I don't know. Also, those slots on your bar...those were my idea when I ordered it from Slim. Hope this helps.

Old 06-20-2015, 01:09 PM
Mr Bentwrench
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Fireguy88
Take a car jack and lift the rear of your bike using the frame. This will raise the fender and should allow the rear bolts to slide out.
Same here on an '07 FXDL and it was still a real tight squeeze.

Old 06-20-2015, 01:19 PM
Juggerpops
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just did this install on my Street Bob yesterday. I unbolted the Torx bolts on the shocks (my bike is lowered with burley slammers). Then I jacked up the bike, the swing arm will hand down and the tire will be out of the way.

Old 06-20-2015, 01:52 PM
Gadgetech
Club Member
Received 52 Likes on 41 Posts

I recall helping a friend install a sissy bar on his low rider recently and the bolts holding things in were a bear. What I did was as the bolt was coming out, I moved the collar that the bolt goes through which all goes through the fender and it came out no problem. Took a minute to figure out the right combination but it can be done with the tire on. I'm assuming there's some similarity b/w the 2 setups since I haven't worked on a WG.

Old 06-21-2015, 06:40 AM
dupmaronew
Cruiser

You do not need to lift the bike. If you have a jack then sure why not. However, I did mine in my front driveway just last week. Let some air out the rear tire. You can muscle the bolts out easily enough. That's what I did.

Old 06-21-2015, 09:33 PM
user 8382390
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Thanks

Thanks for the advice, while I was too busy to do the install today I experimented and looked and I have it figured out. By using my motorcycle atv jack I can lift very slightly before the rear swing arm. This dropped the rear tire enough for the bolts to be able to clear. Found the connectors under the seat for the turn signals and that will be no problem on the removal. A bit tight working quarters working under the fender around the rear tire but doable as long as I take my time. Another reason I didn't do it today was because I was in rush mode which means " screw something up" pictures upon completion

Old 06-22-2015, 07:10 AM
dupmaronew
Cruiser

Put something between the fender and the bar also when you slide it on. I used a paper bag and it was fine until it ripped and I got a small scratch. Touched it up with the paint pen and it's fine but it's just another thing to watch out for. I also did just the front and then just the back on the advice of others and I'm glad I did. Seems like.it would be hard to get it all lined up otherwise