Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FXDX speed wobble...but different.

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2016, 10:04 AM
Robottom
Road Master
Received 138 Likes on 58 Posts

May be kind of an obvious question but are you testing riding on the same road every time? I've felt something I think is similar to your description but it turned out to be the rain groves in the freeway. It feels like the bike is sliding sideways one side then the other.

Agree with everyone else on testing methods but just a thought, try a different road.

Old 12-07-2016, 11:24 AM
TheSSPirate
Cruiser
Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Robottom
May be kind of an obvious question but are you testing riding on the same road every time? I've felt something I think is similar to your description but it turned out to be the rain groves in the freeway. It feels like the bike is sliding sideways one side then the other.

Agree with everyone else on testing methods but just a thought, try a different road.

Its been on different roads each time its happened. I thought it may have been the freeway grooves, but its happened on parts on the 55sb that doesn't have grooves. So I ruled that out.

Old 12-08-2016, 11:57 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts

I had a new FXDXT and installed a True-Track, which transformed my bike for the better. How long have you had your high bars and forwards? After checking tyre pressures my doubts are with them, as there is a possibility you are pulling on the bars, or holding them tight. That alone can introduce what you describe, assuming everything else is ship-shape.

When test riding make a point of sitting forwards, so you are not pulling on the bars and ensure you aren't holding on tight. You will find ear plugs will help there, if you don't normally use them.

Old 12-09-2016, 08:14 AM
TheSSPirate
Cruiser
Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Ive been reading that the Commander 2s are a little touchy with the tire pressure and some people have been experiencing wobbles too. I used to be a hardcore Metzler guy so these are new to me. I bumped up the PSI to 41/42 from 38/40 and it did make a noticeable difference, the suspension seems to work better and it feels good and solid. I'm going to have to see how it works on a longer ride this weekend but it seemed much better after riding to work this morning.

Originally Posted by grbrown
I had a new FXDXT and installed a True-Track, which transformed my bike for the better. How long have you had your high bars and forwards? After checking tyre pressures my doubts are with them, as there is a possibility you are pulling on the bars, or holding them tight. That alone can introduce what you describe, assuming everything else is ship-shape.

When test riding make a point of sitting forwards, so you are not pulling on the bars and ensure you aren't holding on tight. You will find ear plugs will help there, if you don't normally use them.

My old Tsport was solid as a rock with no stabilizers or anything, stock front and rear suspension with 12" bars would be perfectly stable well above freeway speeds all day long. Same deal with a Defender I owned, no stabilizers and that one had 12" bars/risers as well. Its strange this bike now is so much more off. It is better now with the PSI bumped up.

Old 12-09-2016, 11:37 AM
F86
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 898 Likes on 599 Posts

I would highly recommend removing the fork brace and checking for improvement. I have a Super Brace on my FXDX, and it took a bunch of fiddling before it was actually an improvement, rather than a detriment. When I first installed it I followed their directions exactly, which I think just involved loosening the axle pinch bolt and torquing the brace correctly (as I recall, it was a bit ago). I ended up lifting the bike upright with the front wheel just making contact with the ground, loosening the axle and pinch bolts, as well as the lower tree pinch bolts, installing the brace hand tight, bouncing the fork against the ground a few times, then torquing the brace. It now works very well.

But before I did all of that it definitely caused some funky stuff up front...

Now it actually does kind of feel like I have a beefier fork than I did.

Old 12-09-2016, 01:00 PM
H-D Nomad
Cruiser
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Fingers crossed the tyre pressures sort it for you.

Old 12-09-2016, 02:04 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,254 Likes on 3,627 Posts

Check Rear wheel alignment with the front. You can use strings, bars, whatever.. Make sure the rear wheel is vertical with the front. I use levels on the discs with the bike upright.. Adjust the top motor link. Tire pressure and swingarm bushings, as mentioned, are good to check.. Right side bushing is pretty loose even when new..

Old 12-09-2016, 02:38 PM
F86
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 898 Likes on 599 Posts

+1 on tire pressures... I've never had a set of Commanders, but my Avon Cobras like at least 5 PSI more than the owner's manual listed for the stock Dunlops...