Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fairing wobble

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2013, 10:29 AM
politronics
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fairing wobble

So, after a number of years of "wanting," I finally bought a fairing (Dragonfly) for my 1994 FLSTN. I got it, wired it in, and mounted it. When I was carrying it over to the bike I kept thinking about how heavy it was to be sitting on the front end.

Got it all buttoned up and went for a ride. I figured it would add some issues to the ride, and it did. Felt a few more grooves and I could feel that is was there in slow turns, but the big issue was when I was crusing along at high speed. I hit a slight bump and I got that "high speed wobble" I have read about. I had it once before when I had afer market wheels. Went back to HD wheels and never had the problem again.

So my question is, should I expect this when adding that much weight/air turbulance to the front end? Other than that other one time, I have NEVER had an issue with the ride on this bike.

Comments? Questions? Offers to buy fairing?

JP

Old 09-15-2013, 11:44 AM
kozy22
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I've never had any issues like that with mine on

Old 09-15-2013, 11:45 AM
challutz
Cruiser

I dont have any issues with my faring it actually made ny ride more stable than before. I went with Woodys and to be honest its not heavy at all . And ive got a marine radio and 4 speakers in there.

Old 09-15-2013, 12:00 PM
tmilo1000
Tourer
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I would check to see if the steering head bearing and the fall away is adjusted. Loose steering could be more noticeable if there is more weight on the fork.

Old 09-24-2013, 05:50 PM
Glenn W
Tourer
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

A fairing will magnify any current problems the bike may have, just like adding a load of gravel to a pickup with bad rear springs and/or shocks. If the truck seemed to drive OK prior to adding the gravel it's easy to simply declare "there's something wrong with the gravel" and unload the truck to confirm it. There are probably some bikes that like certain fairings over others, but if there are others running the same combination as you (successfully) than as long as yours is mounted correctly you'll have to take a long look at the bike. A fairing's weight is one factor but perhaps more important is the downforce a fairing creates, like the front wing on a racecar. If you have a slightly out of round front tire, a fairing will usually make it show up, likewise worn/loose steering head bearings or swingarm bushings (and even worn shock bushings on Road Kings) will be more apparent with a fairing. If your front tire is high mileage it may have some cupping or other wear patterns causing it also. Do you have a super tall shield on it by chance? Tall shields that work fine on FLH bikes can be a marginal choice on a Heritage's front geometry. Edit: forgot to mention; "loose or unevenly torqued spokes can cause this, as they can allow the wheel to run more out of true under increased loads"

Last edited by Glenn W; 09-24-2013 at 05:54 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Grizz72 (01-24-2017)
Old 09-25-2013, 05:31 PM
rudder2716
Novice

OP, I am interested to know what you find (found) out about this. I have an '05 FLSTN with a Dragonfly fairing on the way. Bad (old and worn) front tire causing wobble is being replaced this or next week and fairing should arrive shortly thereafter. You aren't serious about offers for the fairing, right?!?!?!

If you don't mind, could you please keep us posted?

Regards,
John

Old 04-21-2014, 11:05 PM
politronics
Intermediate
Default Fairing Wobble

Hey all,

I just happened upon this, as I hadn't checked it for awhile. I still have the fairing off. I guess I need to check the front end stuff. The tires are relatively new, Metzlers. Haven't had the front bearings and fallaway checked. I don't have a tall shield, but I do have one of the top "curled" ones that are supposed to help the aerodynamics.

John, did you ever get yours? Any issues?

JP

Old 04-22-2014, 03:37 PM
wils5150
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have a reckless fairing on my fatboy and have no issues. however on a previous fatboy that I bought the front end would do as you described and had a metzler front tire. changed out the tire problem was solved

Old 04-22-2014, 04:27 PM
Raddazzz
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I put a reckless on my heritage without any problems. I used to have a wobble when I let got of my handle bars, tightened my neck bearings and that cured it. A few years back I spent the whole winter updating my rolling parts, new tires, spoke adjustment, rim true, wheel bearings, brake pads. Did most of the work myself, made a huge difference! My bikes a 97 and it felt like a brand new old bike !

Old 07-02-2014, 11:57 PM
JLM49
Stage IV
Default Wobble

Newbie to forum, I have a 99 Softail Fatboy and installed hardbags and a Stealth Batwing on it, had Dunlops tires in front and Metzelers in back rode like a champ no wobble issues. I replaced cracked sidewall tire with new Metzelers ME888 front and rear, now at 70mph and above get really bad wobble. Have you figured out your wobble problem? Wondering if its tires..

Quick Reply: Fairing wobble