Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replace FXD tank with FXDB tank?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2005, 10:53 PM
New Dyna Guy
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replace FXD tank with FXDB tank?

I want to replace the stock tanks from 06 FXDB to my 06 FXD. Same frame, same tank right?? Will the handlebar factor make a differance.? I just hate the look of the 4" speedo in my face and on the bars.

Old 05-10-2007, 09:24 PM
Mag7
6th Gear
Default RE: Replace FXD tank with FXDB tank?

Bump.

Me to. Has anyone changed out the tank on my son'sFXD to one with a speedo on the tank?

Or... are there any aftermarket speedometers with a bit more sex appeal than the stock one?

Old 05-10-2007, 10:40 PM
SURFOR Chop
Elite HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Default RE: Replace FXD tank with FXDB tank? Visor?

The look used to kind of bother me too, I was seriously contemplating replacing it with the 1200XL Custom pull-back riser and speedo setup. It has a chrome cover over the gap between the risers that covers the wires and the speedo sits inboard (vice outboard) of the risers. H-D Part no 68041-04.

The cost of all the parts for that solution was considerably less than the cost of changing out the tank and dashboard, etc. I was this close to doing it, but haven't yet. I think I've just gotten accustomed to the look now and don't think it's that bad ... think I'll leave it as is. Also, as some others have pointed out, the position of the speedo as on the stock Super Glide allows you garner the info in a more heads-up view ... you don't have to look down as far to see how fast you're going.

On another note, I still don't like the look of the eyebrow (visor) and am thinking of borrowing some parts from an XL--usingthe chorme cover the goes over the brow mount on the top triple tree (P/N 68041-04) and I'd have to drill out the lower triple tree and get a headlight mount and possible a new shell. Guess all you guys with '06 and later don't have that as a consideration.

I'm still trying to work out the details of everything I'd need ... that's assuming I don't decide to install a Wide Glide conversion kit (triple trees, etc). Or, I had been contemplating installing a FLST front end ... that could still happen. All in due course, I guess. I think some decisions are best not to rush in to.

R/
Priest

Old 05-11-2007, 12:04 AM
jt1965
Road Captain

Having a FXDL I will say I only occasionaly look at the speedo. I can tell by sound when I am at or under 3000 rpm. If I am in 5th gear that is about 65 mph. It would actually be better if it was up higher. But I do Like the cleaner look on the bars.

Old 05-11-2007, 12:31 AM
Boxjoint
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just got a lowrider tank from e-bay for my FXD but I am doing something a little different. I am keeping the speedo on the bar and putting a dakota digital tach in the tank (looks blacked out when not running)

The low rider tank is the exact same as the bob tank but uses a different panel for gauges. Look for lowrider tanks on e-bay for great deals. I got mine (a 2006 lowrider tank) for 152 dollars no dents.

Old 05-11-2007, 12:37 AM
jt1965
Road Captain

I have actually thought of trying a WD tank on my Lowrider and going to a dual Speedo/Tach.
It would also give me a slightly bigger fuel tank.

Old 05-12-2007, 01:51 AM
JayFromPa
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: Boxjoint

I just got a lowrider tank from e-bay for my FXD but I am doing something a little different. I am keeping the speedo on the bar and putting a dakota digital tach in the tank (looks blacked out when not running)

The low rider tank is the exact same as the bob tank but uses a different panel for gauges. Look for lowrider tanks on e-bay for great deals. I got mine (a 2006 lowrider tank) for 152 dollars no dents.
So no major changes involved? i like your tach idea, but if I did a tank swap I would go with a tach/speedo set up in it.