Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

my new FXDX! mods and questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2012, 09:15 AM
Puglia10
Road Warrior
Received 479 Likes on 230 Posts
Default my new FXDX! mods and questions

Some of you may have seen it in another thread, but I just scored a BONE stock 2001 FXDX with only 5,000 miles! I've been looking all over the country for one and this popped up 45 minutes from home. I am super pumped and excited to start making this mine.

I made this thread so I can try to keep everything in one spot. I'll have some questions, and as money allows...some new parts! I've ridden dirt bikes my whole life, and more recently supermotos. So the plan for this one is handling and comfort. I kind of want to combine a supermoto with a bagger. Tear up the mountain roads and still do multi-day, long-mile trips. Gonna be "club" or "thug" style I guess.

Enough chat, here she is in all her stock glory (besides the big fat seat, but the stock one came with it STILL wrapped in plastic, never even put on.) I almost feel bad modding this thing...ALMOST....

Immediate plans for the winter:
1. Lay down license plate and smaller brake light (preferably with turn signals in it because I want to run bags)
2. FXDXT bags from leatherpro
3. Straight risers and narrow bars (maybe sportster or vrod?) Not sure how tall on risers yet, I'm only 5'7" ...considering protapers but seems like extra money for no real gain over other setups.
4. PC wheels (probably black but tossing red around) triple trees, and lower fork legs.
5. FAIRING. Lots of questions here I'll ask later. Cant decide what I like. HD, tsport, rifle roadster, etc.
6. If money is still there, 2-1 pipes that dont scrape. (Maybe bassani instead of t-header? I need to do more research there.) and Maybe something with the AC. Cams and 95 kit eventually.

Thanks for letting me ramble on! Any suggestions, ideas, pictures, etc feel free to share!

Old 12-20-2012, 10:14 AM
arkstreetbob
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Nice bike! Have fun.

Old 12-20-2012, 10:18 AM
Robbie13
LOSER
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Enjoy!

Old 12-20-2012, 10:25 AM
rs87277
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

nice bike and truck

Old 12-20-2012, 10:27 AM
Red89
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sweet. Are you leaving the speedo and rev counter where they are?

Old 12-20-2012, 10:32 AM
Puglia10
Road Warrior
Received 479 Likes on 230 Posts

Thanks guys.
Not sure Red, gotta see what I do with the bars and risers first. Looks like a lot of guys use an accutronix mount.

Old 12-20-2012, 10:44 AM
JRK5892
Banned
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

let me know on the powder work we have done many and are more than happy to help out! congrats on the new ride

coated trees (shaved lower)

Old 12-20-2012, 11:33 AM
Geordie Pete
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well with my FXDX-T I have tried to do the same - better handling and power.

So for that I have warmed the engine up with a big bore kit, Mikuni, Andrews Cams and ported heads etc. For the handling bit I have fitted a True-Track kit, fork brace, progressive springs and standard length Hagon shocks. Also LOWER bars off a 883R are really better (IMHO) for higher speed handling and a SuperTrapp 2:1 helps with power, weight and ground clearance. I also took off the FXDT-T fairing as I couldn't get it to work for me. And put on a lower seat. The -T seat is comfortable but raises you up a bit and I have my own padding in that area!

Oh and no extra chrome.

Not sure if they are what most people like but it does for me!

Hope the mods go well and you enjoy your new bike.

Last edited by Geordie Pete; 12-20-2012 at 11:44 AM.
Old 12-20-2012, 11:39 AM
justfnride
Intermediate
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Nice bike, I'm jealous! Been looking for one of these myself in 2013. I aggree with Geordie's suggestions. Exactly what I plan to do with mine, a focus on handling and performance. As far as bags are concerned what about mounting hardbags instead? The t-sport bags are pretty expensive used.

Good luck with it!

Old 12-20-2012, 11:48 AM
Ridewva
Grand HDF Member
Received 344 Likes on 197 Posts

Originally Posted by Puglia10
Immediate plans for the winter:
1. Lay down license plate and smaller brake light (preferably with turn signals in it because I want to run bags)
2. FXDXT bags from leatherpro
3. Straight risers and narrow bars (maybe sportster or vrod?) Not sure how tall on risers yet, I'm only 5'7" ...considering protapers but seems like extra money for no real gain over other setups.
4. PC wheels (probably black but tossing red around) triple trees, and lower fork legs.
5. FAIRING. Lots of questions here I'll ask later. Cant decide what I like. HD, tsport, rifle roadster, etc.
6. If money is still there, 2-1 pipes that dont scrape. (Maybe bassani instead of t-header? I need to do more research there.) and Maybe something with the AC. Cams and 95 kit eventually.

Thanks for letting me ramble on! Any suggestions, ideas, pictures, etc feel free to share!

It’s always interesting seeing what we all do to similar bikes to make them “just right” for us. I thought about some of the mods you’re considering and actually did some. FWIW;

I needed to relocate my turn signals to accommodate bags. I forget what HD kit I used but it included the license plate mount.

Excellent choice on bags. I believe they are the same bags I have only mine came through Boss Bags.

For me the stock bars are perfect, one of the nice upgrades that come in the FXDX package. They’re not low, or too high and the very slight swept back angle just fits me. If you change bars you’ll probably need or want to change the cables. The dealer replaced my clutch cable (with the wrong one) and it looked stupid sticking up a couple inches higher. I ordered the correct one and changed it. I was surprised the wrong cable was only an inch or so too long above the adjuster.

Mine came from the factory with spoke wheels but I had the dealer swap them for mags that were on a FXDX. I’m completely pleased whit how they work, and look.

I have no experience with fairings. Early on I bought a HD quick release windshield. It fit fine but is positioned near vertical (probably to clear the speedo and tach). With it on I got a lot of noise, buffeting, and air coming up from underneath. So after a couple rides with it on I took it off and never put it back on, including a 5,000 mile ride to Colorado and back. No windshield and a full face helmet works well for me on this motorcycle.

I like the look of the stock exhaust and I don’t like loud, but the stocker is a bit too quiet even for me. I tried “the quiet version” SE slip-ons and found them too loud. Then I heard Harley slip-on mufflers on another bike. They have a noticeably louder and deeper sound than the stockers but not as loud as the SE’s, so that’s what I went with and they’re perfect for me. In fact they get a lot of compliments. It also got the air box opened up with a SE air cleaner kit and dealer download. Nice little boost in performance.

The stock seat came off first thing, I’m very happy with the Corbin Solo and fender rack which replaced it. I added HD’s little triangle accessory box which fits behind the battery. I also made a fender extension to keep some of the mud and road spray off the front of the engine. I mounted the passing lamp kit HD offers for the Dyna. (They offer the windshield optionally with relief cuts to clear the lamps.) I replaced the stock front brake lines with braided steel ones.
Then with 18K on the bike I sold it to a friend to buy my FLHT. I soon regretted it and told him to let me know if he ever decides to sell it. While it was his he had the dealer install the upgraded HD hydraulic tensioner kit, bearings, and SE 204 cam. They also installed a new (the wrong) clutch cable. After owning it two years and riding it 1,000 miles he decided to sell it so I bought it back with just under 19K. I must say it runs and sounds much better with the 204 cams, with just a bit worse mpg.
For some reason I decided to try a SuperTrapp 2 into 1. It was ok but I didn’t like how the header pipes were routed as well as the stock headers, and it offered no improvement in performance that I could detect. So I sold it and put the HD slip-ons back on.
I recently removed the passing lamps just because I don’t like how they look, and I seldom ride it at night anyway. The way it’s set up the bike is comfortable, runs well, sounds great, handles well. For me it’s also quite capable for long distance touring in warm to moderate weather. I’m glad that I have it back, it’s a keeper now. I hope you enjoy yours as much as I have mine!

Early on, about 2005

2006 Riding and camping in Colorado.

Today

Quick Reply: my new FXDX! mods and questions