Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4" combined tacho-speedo. help please

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2013, 05:33 PM
oakspeed
Tourer
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default 4" combined tacho-speedo. help please

i fitted a combined speedo/tacho to my 2011 FXDWG. been on the bike 5 months, and no probs. today it packed up, and would only display v in er.
no speedo, no idiot lights etc, nothing.
i phoned the dealers, and the service guy said he had no idea whats wrong, bring it in, and we can have a look. i declined, as they charge $150 per hour.

he then said to refit the old gauge, and if everything works, it must be the new gauge at fault. i did what he said, and it all worked ok. returned the combi unit to the parts dept, and they exchanged it without any fuss.

the parts guy and the service guy said they had never had one go bad.
the parts guy said to plug the new unit in, but if it was a problem with the bike, it would throw up the same code, and i would have no choice but to book the bike in.

now, im assuming that if there was a problem with the bike, the engine management light would come on, on the stock speedo unit, to indicate a fault. there is nothing showing. bike starts, runs fine. engine management light goes out upon start up, and all works fine, as it did from new.

can anyone confirm thats what would happen?
how do you know if theres a fault on the bike, with a stock speedo?

in the cars i have had, any ECU faults throw up the engine management light on the dash, then you plug it into the diagnostics software to find out what the trouble is.

has anyone run into the same problems??
the gauge has ben on the bike for abot 3k miles.

Old 02-05-2013, 08:18 PM
little squirt
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

heres a big thread with a ton of discussion on the new 4" speedo unit, might be some guys having your prob tossing in their .02 over there too.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-...eedo-tach.html

Old 02-05-2013, 08:26 PM
dirtdobber
Elite HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

The problem that is being addressed is on the pre 06 models.
They are throwing engine codes. They work okay but throw a code and the engine light comes on.
Was the mileage transferred to the new speedo?
HD may have to cough up a recall on these before this ends.

Old 02-06-2013, 02:56 PM
wastedranger
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 174 Likes on 127 Posts

I will be going back to dealer about this issue. I'm waiting till I can get back on the bike to see how long it takes for the code to pop again though. More snow coming Friday though. I'm thinking refund but who knows . Harley needs to wake up. I think they rushed this thing into production because of all the requests and people buying the Dakota digital one. Does anyone know why the original analog combo that was 400 bucks was discontinued?

Old 02-07-2013, 11:36 AM
kydav
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by oakspeed
i fitted a combined speedo/tacho to my 2011 FXDWG. been on the bike 5 months, and no probs. today it packed up, and would only display v in er.
no speedo, no idiot lights etc, nothing.
i phoned the dealers, and the service guy said he had no idea whats wrong, bring it in, and we can have a look. i declined, as they charge $150 per hour.

he then said to refit the old gauge, and if everything works, it must be the new gauge at fault. i did what he said, and it all worked ok. returned the combi unit to the parts dept, and they exchanged it without any fuss.

the parts guy and the service guy said they had never had one go bad.
the parts guy said to plug the new unit in, but if it was a problem with the bike, it would throw up the same code, and i would have no choice but to book the bike in.

now, im assuming that if there was a problem with the bike, the engine management light would come on, on the stock speedo unit, to indicate a fault. there is nothing showing. bike starts, runs fine. engine management light goes out upon start up, and all works fine, as it did from new.

can anyone confirm thats what would happen?
how do you know if theres a fault on the bike, with a stock speedo?

in the cars i have had, any ECU faults throw up the engine management light on the dash, then you plug it into the diagnostics software to find out what the trouble is.

has anyone run into the same problems??
the gauge has ben on the bike for abot 3k miles.
Had the same error on my 2009 FXD, happened right after having stag 1 download installed. Thought that causes it. Took it to the dealer, he cycled the ign a couple of time and still the same. Took bike to reload download. Once turned on the ign to do download everything was back to normal. Have not had a problem since. Maybe with this error if you cycle the ign 5 or 6 time the problem may go away like mine did.
Rick

Old 02-07-2013, 03:17 PM
wastedranger
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 174 Likes on 127 Posts

What do you mean cycle the ignition?

Old 02-08-2013, 05:51 AM
kydav
Cruiser

Originally Posted by wastedranger
What do you mean cycle the ignition?
Turn the ignition switch on and off. If you try to check for codes, this error does not through and codes. It just show up on the speedo and locks it up. All I did was start the bike wand went to dealer. They checked for error code and found non. They turned the ignition on and off (cycled) and still had error. Took bike back into shop to reload stage 1 download and when thew turned the ignition on the "V INER" was gone. And it had not come back, road all spring, summer and part of fall (many miles), had the bike out a couple weeks ago still problems.
Rick

Old 02-09-2013, 12:24 PM
oakspeed
Tourer
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

ive done some digging around, and the "v in er" code comes up if the unit is swapped to another bike, after it it mated to 1 bikes ecu. the unit mates, and is locked to a bikes ecu after it has done 50km. this is to stop you selling the speedo/tacho units on the 2nd hand market.

only problem is, mines been on for 3000 miles, its never been taken off, nor have i had any downloads added after the speedo instalation. it just went belly up, on its own.

maybe its because i ride my damn bike, and dont spend hours polishing the thing.

Old 02-09-2013, 01:11 PM
kydav
Cruiser

Originally Posted by oakspeed
ive done some digging around, and the "v in er" code comes up if the unit is swapped to another bike, after it it mated to 1 bikes ecu. the unit mates, and is locked to a bikes ecu after it has done 50km. this is to stop you selling the speedo/tacho units on the 2nd hand market.

only problem is, mines been on for 3000 miles, its never been taken off, nor have i had any downloads added after the speedo instalation. it just went belly up, on its own.

maybe its because i ride my damn bike, and dont spend hours polishing the thing.
I also read somewhere that this unit is subject to low voltage that would let the ecu "think" the speedo is incorrect. As I said the problem has not come back (knock-on-wood). And I do ride my bike have over 20,000 mikes on it.
Rick

Old 05-30-2013, 11:40 AM
kydav
Cruiser

Originally Posted by kydav
I also read somewhere that this unit is subject to low voltage that would let the ecu "think" the speedo is incorrect. As I said the problem has not come back (knock-on-wood). And I do ride my bike have over 20,000 mikes on it.
Rick
Read in the Touring section that if you disconnect and reconnect the + battery cable it will clear the V IN ER. The just pop-up on my speed/tach combo again and doing this brought everything back to normal. Try it, it should work.

Rick