Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tripper Solo- first ride

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2013, 12:09 AM
killallninjas
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tripper Solo- first ride

Put a few hours on the new Mustang Tripper solo today, so I thought I'd share some of my initial thoughts. It's on an '02 FXDX with stock bars and forward controls. I'm 6', 170lb.

After about 2 hours of riding I noticed I was a bit more fatigued overall, and I definitely felt it more in my arms. I was riding today without a windshield (did the last few times with the old seat, too). Maybe once I get a fairing on the bike, it'll cut down on some of the fatigue. (RIFLE should be in on Monday!) I'm thinking the seat doesn't give me quite as much back edge/lip support, so I was doing more work with my arms. I absolutely felt like I was gonna fall off the back when I gave it some throttle. Maybe I just need to get used to it.

The seat itself is decently comfortable. I think it may push me forward just a bit more than I'd like. I'm gonna have to ride it some more to really see how I feel. I'm relatively new to this game, so I've got a lot to learn. From reading around on the forum, I've seen there is a lot of trial and error when it comes to finding the right seat for you.

thoughts? comments?

Last edited by killallninjas; 03-31-2013 at 12:19 AM.
Old 03-31-2013, 12:34 AM
Massive
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Give it some time, you'll feel better after putting the windscreen on. That will take some of the parachute effect off you. I had looked at the Tripper myself, but went with the Villain instead, it definitely has a lip that'll hold you.

Old 03-31-2013, 12:42 AM
jpicht
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Tripper Wide Solo with backrest

I read this review with eagerness because I just ordered the Wide Tripper Solo with backrest (it's in town, but UPS won't deliver it until Monday). Glad to hear it is comfortable. Hopefully the backrest will help even more with the comfort. As soon as I put some miles on it, I will post about the comfort.

I was a little disappointed when I read that it pushed you forward a bit. I'm 6'1" and was hoping for a little more room rearward. What seat did yours replace? I will be replacing a 2008 Superglide Solo I got off e-bay for $5. The Solo I have now pushed me forward from the stock 2-up Superglide seat I had been using.

Old 03-31-2013, 12:50 AM
killallninjas
Advanced

Originally Posted by jpicht
I read this review with eagerness because I just ordered the Wide Tripper Solo with backrest (it's in town, but UPS won't deliver it until Monday). Glad to hear it is comfortable. Hopefully the backrest will help even more with the comfort. As soon as I put some miles on it, I will post about the comfort.

I was a little disappointed when I read that it pushed you forward a bit. I'm 6'1" and was hoping for a little more room rearward. What seat did yours replace? I will be replacing a 2008 Superglide Solo I got off e-bay for $5. The Solo I have now pushed me forward from the stock 2-up Superglide seat I had been using.
To be honest, I'm not sure what seat I was replacing. It was on the bike when I got it, and I can't match up any of the numbers. It's a HD seat (actually in my sig pic). It looks like it could be an older version of a Sundowner. It's actually a really comfortable soft/cushy seat, but it's bulkier than I'd like. It's absolutely possible that it (the older seat) moved the riding position rearward, though.

Old 03-31-2013, 01:02 AM
SquidHead
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I love my tripper. I have both the normal and low versions. The low fits me like a bucket seat. I just got home from a 150 mile ride on the SOCAL freeways (no windshield) and never felt like I was going to slide off. The little bit of butt-support on the low keeps me firmly in position. When I ride the normal tripper, I don't feel as well supported, but it's just as comfortable for long rides for me.

I think you'll feel better on it once you've gotten used to it.

Old 03-31-2013, 04:02 AM
Foxster
Road Warrior
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I wonder if the difference in experience with this seat is because one of you have forwards and the other mids?

My Fat Bob was my first bike with forwards and it took some getting used to. You pull on the bars more and have less support from your legs. It is very important that the seat has a deep lip at the back to stop you from sliding backwards.

Could be that a backrest will help the OP.

Old 03-31-2013, 07:41 AM
WideGlideFever
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by jpicht

When I first got my Mustang Wide Vintage, the first thing I noticed is that it put me a tad bit higher and a tad bit more forward and I thought it was going to be a disappointment as well. But after riding with it, the sheer comfort of the seat relieved all my worries.

Old 03-31-2013, 08:13 AM
kknickmeyer
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a Tripper on the XL my son rides now. It took a couple hundred miles of riding before it broke in for me. If I buy a solo for the Switchback it will be a Tripper, for the money it's a good seat. Kurt

Old 03-31-2013, 09:41 AM
killallninjas
Advanced

Thanks for all the feedback. I agree the forward controls have something to do with it. Going back to mids and putting some highway pegs is something on my 'things to maybe do' list. I'm definitely planning on giving it time to break in.