Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harbour Freight Lift Modification and DIY Adapters

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2013, 07:57 PM
Emmo
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Harbour Freight Lift Modification and DIY Adapters

I thought I would share a couple of DIY projects I just completed. I have been researching a jack/lift on this site for my Super Glide. I had settled on the Harbour Freight ($59.95), but I had decided not to alter the jack and instead make my own lift adapters. I didn't care for some of the things I read and pictures I have seen of the HD adapters. I made my DIY adapters out of 2" flat steel with 1 1/8" x 2" blocks of old seasoned poplar. The flat bar is held on by two lengths of all thread and the inside of the adapter wall is filled with two strips of hard rubber that make a perfect fit for the bike frame. The one odd adapter for the rear right I made from a section of U channel padded with leather and filed with the same rubber to allow for a tight fit to the 1 1/8" protective shield that's welded to the frame. The three adapters are held to the frame by two strips of innertube.

Once the adapters were complete I got to looking at the jack and thinking about how someone had moved the lift rails futher apart by attaching the lift arms to the inside slot on the lift rail. I liked the idea of moving the lift rails further apart. Since I had some 1 inch square tubing in the shop I decided to beef up the jack by adding four new sections of lift arms. This modification did not require any drilling to the Jack, only re-bolting the lift rails one slot left and right. So, I did end up modifying the jack ....a little.

Based on the modifications other have made and used for several years, I'm sure this is overkill. But, I thought I would share anyway. I had the all thread, rubber and square tubing in the shop, so al I had to buy was the flat steel and four bolts. Total cost was right at $20. Maybe I'll try it out this Saturday. Emmo

Attached Thumbnails Harbour Freight Lift Modification and DIY Adapters-hd-adapters-001-640.jpg   Harbour Freight Lift Modification and DIY Adapters-hd-adapters-003-640.jpg   Harbour Freight Lift Modification and DIY Adapters-lift-004-resize.jpg  
Old 05-22-2013, 09:12 PM
FastHarley
Former Sponsor
Received 441 Likes on 246 Posts
Default Great Beginning posts

Nice way to be known around here. Helping others overcome their problems in doing the same thing you do. Helping others is what it is all about. A big hand for you:

Last edited by FastHarley; 05-22-2013 at 09:15 PM.
Old 05-23-2013, 07:01 AM
Emmo
Advanced

Thanks FastHarley for the kind words. I've gained so much from this site over the last year, just trying to give back a little.

Old 05-23-2013, 12:05 PM
SC-Longhair
Club Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

I'll agree that what you did is overkill.

If you modded your HF jack per the sears red modification thread (link in my signature) you wouldn't need any sort of lift adapter which is the purpose of the mod. Just slide the jack underneath your bike and begin lifting. The bike will tilt back onto the pads and remain there until you lower it.

In the end, if you're happy with what you've accomplished more power to ya.

Old 05-23-2013, 03:56 PM
Emmo
Advanced

SC-Longhair, my original plan was to just build the adapters. I hadn't planned to modify the jack at all. One of those things where you get started and just keep going. I got the idea to move the lift rails from the changes you had made to the Craftsman and changes that "rbartick" had made to the Harbour Freight. I ended up moving the lift rails and adding the four lift arms thinking it might make the jack more stable. Maybe, maybe not, at any rate it was an easy modification and a fun project for an evening. I enjoyed your video, thanks for sharing.

Old 05-23-2013, 04:29 PM
Mascman
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Are you guys lifting with the kickstand up or down?

Reason I ask is that I have a sears jack and I just kick the stand up and slide the lift under...no blocks or any modifying. I've slid it in from either side with no problem.

I was wondering if it was the fact that I have the kickstand down or just the way the Sears jack is made that I didn't have to use a block or anything.

Old 05-23-2013, 05:04 PM
Emmo
Advanced

Mascman, someone else will have to answer your question. I just bought the jack ( Harbour Freight) and made the modifications based on different discussion I had read on this site. I haven't lifted my bike on it yet, that's planned for Saturday. SC-Longhair has a link on his post to a great video that he made showing modifications he made and showing the jack in use.

Old 05-23-2013, 06:56 PM
SC-Longhair
Club Member

Originally Posted by Mascman
Are you guys lifting with the kickstand up or down?

Reason I ask is that I have a sears jack and I just kick the stand up and slide the lift under...no blocks or any modifying. I've slid it in from either side with no problem.

I was wondering if it was the fact that I have the kickstand down or just the way the Sears jack is made that I didn't have to use a block or anything.
How would you be lifting your bike with the kickstand up? Two people? One to stand the bike up and the other to operate the lift?

I tried that once by myself. Standing the bike up and trying to slide the jack underneath. I've never felt more awkward and dang near dropped my bike.

In both of my videos, the bike is on the kickstand. Slide the modded jack underneath and begin lifting the bike.

So when you lift your bike, it's partly sitting on the irregular part of the frame? Not level.

Old 05-23-2013, 07:03 PM
Mascman
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I am lifting it myself.

It is a little akward and the weight of the bike can be an issue, but I havent dropped it yet.

It feels like its leaning away from you when you start to lift but it gets sturdy.

Old 05-23-2013, 07:13 PM
SC-Longhair
Club Member

Originally Posted by Mascman
I am lifting it myself.

It is a little akward and the weight of the bike can be an issue, but I havent dropped it yet.

It feels like its leaning away from you when you start to lift but it gets sturdy.
Especially with that very nice paint job, I hope it never happens. I guess you're a gamblin' kinda guy.

If you feel that you must lift your bike that way, at least use a wheel chock to support the bike in the vertical position prior to lifting. HF has a decent one. I had one for a while. When you need one, they come in handy.