Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

tires feel hot quickly !

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2013, 09:45 PM
Kenbow56
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tires feel hot quickly !

Just wanting some feedback on this, have a 2011 dyna street Bob Michelin scorcher tires front and rear, running recommended pressure. single rider 185 # weight. ride to work and home 16 miles each way. live in fla. hot days 90-95 air temp today was only 85-90 though.
ride on black asphalt pavement. when i get home or to work i feel the rear tire and it is almost too hot to keep my hand on, I can but its hot. not burning hot.... front tire very warm but not as hot, whats up with this seems too hot to me , anyone else feel there tires heat after a short ride? i have felt my car tires after similar drive and not nearly as warm. I ride normal most the time a little fast starts sometime on the throttle but not anything near hard pushing it riding. your guys input? thanks, Ken

Old 08-28-2013, 10:40 PM
slozomby
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

asphalt gets much hotter than ambient temp when sitting in the sun all day.

Old 08-29-2013, 09:26 AM
Squee
Cruiser

DoT tires are meant for quick warm ups and lots of heat cycles. When the tire warms up that is where you are going to get your traction. Some tires heat up faster than other as they are meant to give you grip as soon as possible. Typically, this also does not give the tire the “high mileage” title. Your car tires aren’t as soft of a compound and are designed for higher mileage. Also (while we are on that subject), motorcycle tires warm up faster with accelerating and stopping where car tires warm up by swerving back and forth.

What you are seeing is normal considering the roads you are on and more than likely your choice in tires. When you start to see the tire bubble and bugger up, then you may want to consider a different tire. That is when all of the oils are being released, leaving you with a very hard tire towards the end of it’s life.

Just did a quick look up on Michelin scorchers… Yeah, those tires are meant for grip not high mileage. They will get hot quickly. I may try them out when it comes time.

Old 08-29-2013, 12:21 PM
ynots
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Squee
DoT tires are meant for quick warm ups and lots of heat cycles. When the tire warms up that is where you are going to get your traction. Some tires heat up faster than other as they are meant to give you grip as soon as possible. Typically, this also does not give the tire the “high mileage” title. Your car tires aren’t as soft of a compound and are designed for higher mileage. Also (while we are on that subject), motorcycle tires warm up faster with accelerating and stopping where car tires warm up by swerving back and forth.

What you are seeing is normal considering the roads you are on and more than likely your choice in tires. When you start to see the tire bubble and bugger up, then you may want to consider a different tire. That is when all of the oils are being released, leaving you with a very hard tire towards the end of it’s life.

Just did a quick look up on Michelin scorchers… Yeah, those tires are meant for grip not high mileage. They will get hot quickly. I may try them out when it comes time.
If your going with michelin's do your self a favor and go with the commander II (duel compound) instead of the scorcher

OP, as long as the tire is at the proper PSI dont sweat it. Be sure and check it when cold

Old 08-29-2013, 04:54 PM
mud
muderator
Received 8,784 Likes on 2,066 Posts

Originally Posted by Kenbow56

Michelin scorcher tires front and rear,

ride to work and home 16 miles each way.

live in fla. hot days 90-95 air temp today was only 85-90 though.

ride on black asphalt pavement.

when i get home or to work i feel the rear tire and it is almost too hot to keep my hand on, I can but its hot. not burning hot....

16 miles is plenty of time to heat up the Michelin **scorchers**

or any other rubber.

don't worry yourself.

Old 08-29-2013, 07:37 PM
Kenbow56
6th Gear

I appreciate your replies to my concern Thanks , Ken