Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

quick release problems on quarter fairing

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2013, 11:09 PM
fxdx-matt
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default quick release problems on quarter fairing

Hey guys, I finally got my fairing painted and was putting the QR clamps on when I hit a problem. The bottom 2 will not mount the same way the top 2 do because of the bracket. Bike is a 2002 fxdx so 39 mm clamps and able to use the brackets that came with the fairing. The only way I can tighten the bottom clamps is if the clamp openings are facing the ground. Has anyone else ran into this?? All I can figure is I'll have to grind down the portion of the bracket that is not allowing me to turn the clamp in the correct position. Thought I would check with you guys first before I just started letting sparks fly. You can see in the pictures what I am talking about. Sorry not great pics, cell phone. Thanks for any help.

Matt

Attached Thumbnails quick release problems on quarter fairing-clamp-1.jpg   quick release problems on quarter fairing-clamp2.jpg  
Old 09-03-2013, 09:08 PM
fxdx-matt
Advanced

Nobody else running a HD quarter fairing with QR clamps on a 39 mm front end??

Old 09-04-2013, 12:09 AM
EricInNCa
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Sorry, no help here with your issue. Only suggestion is to see if you can post different pics. Those are tiny and you can't really see anything. Good luck!

Old 09-05-2013, 10:15 PM
kokemill
Road Master
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts
Default I'll get some pics

I have a fairing from my 00 FXDX, I can't tell if it is the same as yours, try some loading a pic of the fairing and mount as well.

I mounted it on the FXDX with no problems and then moved it to an 05 1200 Roadster , also no problems. I'll take pics when it's light out. The 1200 front end is identical to the FXDX except for the shock inserts.

Old 09-06-2013, 09:49 AM
jluvs2ride
Elite HDF Member
Location: Back in the Good Ole USA. South Carolina to be exact.
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

I can't tell anything from the pics. Too small.

Old 09-06-2013, 12:58 PM
kokemill
Road Master
Default Pics of my fairing test

Matt, this is my guess after looking at the pictures(small) and at the ones I took this morning. It seems to me that you may have a "Standard Detachable Fairing" and are using it with "Quick Release" mounts. I want to do this with mine. I have attached some pics showing the fairing shape (I have seen pics of a different fairing type from the same era), The "Standard Detach" mounts, and the mounted fairing. I have a few QD windshield and I would like to setup the fairing to interchange quickly with the windshields. I hope this helps.

Note- the fairing and docking hardware is on an 05 1200 Roadster- I think it the same front end as my 00 FXDX. I got this fairing color matched with the FXDX.

Fairing- currently in the midst of a Plastidip hi-speed bug test - needs thicker plasitidip

Mount

Docking hardware

top dock

bottom dock

regards
dean

Old 09-06-2013, 01:45 PM
fxdx-matt
Advanced

Dean thanks for the pics. I am using the same fairing but like you guessed I'm using the quick release mounts. I just hit the bottom mounting point on the bracket with a grinder because the quick release clamps would not go in correctly on the bracket to clamp onto the fork.(at least not on mine). My clamps came off a wind shield that came with the bike so I know they work, but the brackets on the fairing weren't actually made for the quick clamps (just a guess). Not completely sure but 5 minutes with a grinder and they work now. Thanks for at least taking an interest and taking the time to snap the pics.

Thanks,
Matt

Old 09-13-2013, 04:26 PM
kokemill
Road Master

I'm looking for a cheap windshield on CL to get another set of QR clamps. I will follow your lead. I like the QR much better than quick detach.

Old 09-13-2013, 05:03 PM
byrdman.45
Road Captain
Received 311 Likes on 146 Posts

Did the same thing on my 1200R. Just hit the brackets with a grinder and installed the QD clamps. On and off in seconds and nothing left on the forks. Only thing, I had to extend the headlight mount forward just over an inch to meet with the rubber piece on the fairing and zip tie the throttle cables so they wouldn't get caught on the clamp. Have to figure a better looking way to hold the cables tho. To bad HD can't can't figure how to do this to start with. Good luck with yours.

Old 09-15-2013, 03:27 PM
tcollins123
Stage IV
Default Clamps

Are you looking for quick release, 39mm clamps?