Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bullseye Paint Question

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2014, 06:22 AM
WhiskeyHarley
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bullseye Paint Question

Looking to paint my tank, 1/4 fairing, and rear fender in a similar manner to Zakk Wylde's bullseye guitar and was wondering what ideas were out there for the best way to mask perfect concentric circles so it looks correct. Thanks in advance.

Attached Thumbnails Bullseye Paint Question-zakk-wylde-gibson-bullseye.jpg  
Old 02-03-2014, 12:58 PM
Reindeer
Supporter
Received 728 Likes on 404 Posts

I would try to find some kind of a 'dot' sticker, something that is already round for the center of the bullseye, and then measure off that. Preferably something a couple inches in diameter or however big you want the center to be. Probably going to be kind of tricky going around the tank curves, but if you get the first one perfect it shouldn't be too hard from there.

Old 02-03-2014, 01:27 PM
FXD_noob
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by WhiskeyHarley
Looking to paint my tank, 1/4 fairing, and rear fender in a similar manner to Zakk Wylde's bullseye guitar and was wondering what ideas were out there for the best way to mask perfect concentric circles so it looks correct. Thanks in advance.
I've been wanting to do the same for months now! Don't worry though, I live in a different country, so we're never gonna run into each other

Old 02-03-2014, 01:40 PM
Ninety8NeonACR
Tourer
Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts

You may want to go to vinyl sign shop and have them make a mask for you.

Old 02-03-2014, 01:54 PM
WhiskeyHarley
Advanced

Yeah I was thinking either the sign shop or there's a website that sells the vinyl masking for the actual guitar. I emailed them to see if you can get the design without the guitar shape being cut, waiting to hear back....

Old 02-03-2014, 05:04 PM
07HDStreetBob
Cruiser

Originally Posted by WhiskeyHarley
Yeah I was thinking either the sign shop or there's a website that sells the vinyl masking for the actual guitar. I emailed them to see if you can get the design without the guitar shape being cut, waiting to hear back....
I don't think the vinyl will work, you'll never be able to get it to lay flat and the circle will be all messed up. I just painted my whole bike and tried all sorts of stuff. If you are painting it yourself here is what i would do. Find the exact center of what your are painting. Then get something like an ice pick to hold in the center point and tie string around it and the other end to a thin sharpie (by the point) go around the take and make a bunch of reference points. then get some thin line tape and get it on there and tape it off. Add more string and do the next circle and so on. Keep checking and keep measuring. Make sense at all? Kind of hard to explain.

Old 02-03-2014, 07:00 PM
WhiskeyHarley
Advanced

I see what you're sayin'. As soon as the vinyl hits a curve it'll wrinkle which is what I was afraid of, but I get what you're explaining with the string to make the circles. I was gonna try that initially until I saw the maskings.

Old 02-03-2014, 08:53 PM
bhaxton
Tourer
Received 36 Likes on 22 Posts

Try to find one of the overhead projectors to project whatever you want onto the tank/ fender/ wife. Draw it out and then paint. Using the projector will keep the perspective right to see it from the side.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Elmo-Overhea...item1c3be885b3

Old 02-03-2014, 09:14 PM
roush360r
Advanced

find some pin stripe tape. the thin stuff youll be able to get lay flat. then fill in the rest with masking tape. but itll be up to you to get a perfect circle. best bet is to tie a string to a marker, secure the end of the string and draw a circle then tape off from there.