Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DK or other lowering blocks for Dyna weight limit ?.....

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2014, 10:17 AM
03geetee
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DK or other lowering blocks for Dyna weight limit ?.....

Guys,

Thought about dropping the back of my street bob with a lowering block kit instead of dropped shocks. My reason #1 is cost right now, #2 my wife only rides with me a handful of times a year and it would be for a long distance destination so I could easily ditch the blocks for a weekend for a little extra height for 2 up riding.

My question is I see a 200# weight limit for the lowering block kit on DYNAs on DKs website, specifically for Street Bobs. I weigh over 200# myself (not a fat *** just big) and with my wife she is another 100 or so. Does anyone ride 2up with blocks without issues? Will I have issues just riding solo because Im over 200 alone?

Thanks for any help!

JTR

Old 04-02-2014, 12:37 PM
BigDogIdaho
Grand HDF Member
Received 187 Likes on 145 Posts

I've wondered this also...

Maybe DK can comment on this...?

Old 04-02-2014, 08:02 PM
DK Custom Products
Sponsor
Received 48 Likes on 35 Posts

The reason the weight limits are there are to prevent the bike bottoming out and the tire scraping the fender.

If you are over that weight limit, then if you hit a big bump, then your tire might scrape your fender.

If you are going to install these, I would recommend that you check and make sure there is nothing under the fender that can puncture the tire if that does happen. If you ever have questions feel free to give us a call.

Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Old 04-03-2014, 10:42 AM
BigDogIdaho
Grand HDF Member

Thanks for responding!

Old 04-03-2014, 10:48 AM
Guitarman_sg
Road Master
Received 129 Likes on 80 Posts

I have 1 1/2 inch lowering blocks on my wideglide, I weigh 225 and OL weighs about 120. Never had any issue with fender scrape. But that is just my experience, not saying that is how it will be for everyone.

Old 04-03-2014, 11:10 AM
BigDogIdaho
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by Guitarman_sg
I have 1 1/2 inch lowering blocks on my wideglide, I weigh 225 and OL weighs about 120. Never had any issue with fender scrape. But that is just my experience, not saying that is how it will be for everyone.

I'm guessing most should be the same. Haven't looked yet, but I believe there isn't much there usually to be a problem.

Old 04-03-2014, 01:00 PM
03geetee
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DK Custom Products
The reason the weight limits are there are to prevent the bike bottoming out and the tire scraping the fender.

If you are over that weight limit, then if you hit a big bump, then your tire might scrape your fender.

If you are going to install these, I would recommend that you check and make sure there is nothing under the fender that can puncture the tire if that does happen. If you ever have questions feel free to give us a call.
Thank you for your response. I have the wide tire kit installed on my bike with the only wires being the rear brake light (do not have rear turns or wiring) so I think these will work for now. I am going to give them a shot and see how she goes and I will report back my experience.

JTR

Old 04-03-2014, 04:53 PM
DK Custom Products
Sponsor
Received 48 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by 03geetee
Thank you for your response. I have the wide tire kit installed on my bike with the only wires being the rear brake light (do not have rear turns or wiring) so I think these will work for now. I am going to give them a shot and see how she goes and I will report back my experience.

JTR
I need to elaborate on something that I stated earlier. When I said to make sure there is nothing that can puncture the tire, what really needed to be said was to make sure there is nothing under the fender that can gouge or scrape the tire.

Also, with the wide tire and the wires, it would probably be best to route the wires to the outside of the fender, so that if it does bottom out, the scraping will not damage the wires in any way.

For most people, the best way to check and see what can or will hit, it to remove the shocks and lower the fender onto the tire. That way you can see what will hit, and exactly how much clearance you have.