Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cam swap info needed.

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2014, 03:56 PM
kevin_s
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cam swap info needed.

I'm getting ready to do a cam swap in my 13 wide glide.I have already done the exhaust and a/c and looking at doing the cams,I have just about everything I need except the cams.and I will be ordering them this week.
Anybody have any first hand recommendations for me?
I've been looking at the Woods 777 AND 555
Looking for... more mid range+top end.

What I don't want...
1. loss of reliability.
2.don't want to change the springs

WHO'S GOT WHAT AND HOW DO YOU LIKE IT?

Old 07-06-2014, 09:53 PM
HD Pilot
Elite HDF Member
Received 55 Likes on 47 Posts

Hey Kevin, here is the problem with the direction you are going: you want cams that help in the mid to high rpms but no mention of raising the compression any. Those kinda cams have later intake valve closing and really could use some extra compression over stock. You can put them in and they will work but not in an optimal way. Of the 2 you mentioned, the 555s would be better and you will be "OK" but hopefully you can follow up with a 107 Big Bore in not too long and raise the compression up some. If you decide to do the Big Bore at the same time as the cams then go for the 777s.

Not saying that the 555s will not be a big improvement over stock, just that they will perform much better with ~ 10.2:1 compression instead of the 9.6:1 stock, IMO.

Old 07-06-2014, 09:55 PM
deuce_streetbob
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have the woods 222's in my SB and love them. From everything i read before choosing mine is how far you are going to go with the engine work. you may not see the full benefit of the 555 or 777 without higher compression and some headwork. the 222's hit hard and fast and i have no issue with them running out of steam in the upper rpm's. mine was a stage 1 103 prior to the cam and lifter change and i'm completely happy.

Old 07-06-2014, 09:59 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,255 Likes on 3,627 Posts

The 555s are fine unless you never rev it above 4500 then the neutered 222s are the way to go... The I've used the 777s at 9.9 to 1 cr and like them a bunch also..

Old 07-07-2014, 09:31 AM
target64
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 45 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by bwoltz
The 555s are fine unless you never rev it above 4500 then the neutered 222s are the way to go... The I've used the 777s at 9.9 to 1 cr and like them a bunch also..
the 555 desire more compression over the 222 with the intake closing of 41 of the 555 the engine will be very doggy down low until about 3000 rpms than will pull hard out to rev limiter. that cam likes 10.3:1 and the 777 10.3-10.5:1. Ben there done it was not happy until compression was corrected. it effects the driveabilty of bike right where you ride it . 2200-2500 is average cruising rpm in 5th gear and when you twist throttle it lags until you reach 3000 rpms than it responds well. just installed a set of andrews 48 in a 13 breakout and its runs very strong from idle to limiter. if no other work is going to be done this is also a good cam and is very quiet . the woods 555 I had install where very noisy even with after changing to woods directional lifters. but that's in the past now.

Old 07-07-2014, 10:03 AM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,255 Likes on 3,627 Posts

Originally Posted by target64
the 555 desire more compression over the 222 with the intake closing of 41 of the 555 the engine will be very doggy down low until about 3000 rpms than will pull hard out to rev limiter. that cam likes 10.3:1 and the 777 10.3-10.5:1. Ben there done it was not happy until compression was corrected. it effects the driveabilty of bike right where you ride it . 2200-2500 is average cruising rpm in 5th gear and when you twist throttle it lags until you reach 3000 rpms than it responds well. just installed a set of andrews 48 in a 13 breakout and its runs very strong from idle to limiter. if no other work is going to be done this is also a good cam and is very quiet . the woods 555 I had install where very noisy even with after changing to woods directional lifters. but that's in the past now.
Compression will cure a multitude of sins fer sure.. Funny but I have a 103 with a CR at 9.9 to 1. Tried 4 cams in the bike.. SnS570, W5, Syke SP232, W777. Liked the W777 the best.. Still in the bike. Funny but for me the W777 is pretty quiet.. I've known others to have valve train noise with the 48.. Since Andrews grinds both, there may be a QA issue.

You need to know how to set up the right exhaust system to get the motor to pull.. I've got a set of 107 cylinders/pistons that will boost the compression to close to 10.5 to 1 but the bike runs so well, no reason to change it.. Current top end has 45K on it.. Do you have a dyno run of the 48 in the Breakout.. Would be interesting to see.. What did you use for a tuner and what is the limiter set to?

Old 07-07-2014, 10:33 AM
kevin_s
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

good reading here guy's.
Anybody else?
What about the Andrews 57h?
any real difference between the 222 and 48h? performance wise.

Old 07-07-2014, 10:46 AM
target64
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by bwoltz
Compression will cure a multitude of sins fer sure.. Funny but I have a 103 with a CR at 9.9 to 1. Tried 4 cams in the bike.. SnS570, W5, Syke SP232, W777. Liked the W777 the best.. Still in the bike. Funny but for me the W777 is pretty quiet.. I've known others to have valve train noise with the 48.. Since Andrews grinds both, there may be a QA issue.

You need to know how to set up the right exhaust system to get the motor to pull.. I've got a set of 107 cylinders/pistons that will boost the compression to close to 10.5 to 1 but the bike runs so well, no reason to change it.. Current top end has 45K on it.. Do you have a dyno run of the 48 in the Breakout.. Would be interesting to see.. What did you use for a tuner and what is the limiter set to?
hasn't been tuned yet using pv with auto tune right now with limiter set at 6200. everthing matters as far as having great torque, Headwork is the most important! compression set correct for the cams. good exhaust and a tuner that know how to get it done correctly.

Old 07-07-2014, 10:48 AM
target64
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by kevin_s
good reading here guy's.
Anybody else?
What about the Andrews 57h?
any real difference between the 222 and 48h? performance wise.
57's need compression bump

Old 07-07-2014, 11:10 AM
Scrmnvtwins
Stellar HDF Member
Received 97 Likes on 72 Posts

I see alot of the replies are suggestig a bump in CR. In my experience, with Hgh Compression applications, things seem to shake loose or break alot more than before the CR bump.

I have bumped Evo's and TC's and in both lost reliability. My current toy is aan '03 EG at 95" running 10.5:1 and SE-211 cams. After that upgrade I blew the side out of the tranny, twisted the hubs in 2 rear spoke wheels, and scissored my flywheels. Maybe it is because I run it harder or maybe it is the additional vibration, but things start breaking after that kind of power increase. Also the higher CR requires higher octane fuel that some stations dont have leaving you to deal with ping till you find better gas. If you want reliability stay with the stock CR and pistons. Ive pulled stock assemblies apart at 75k and still find hone marks in the cylinders. They will be reliable for the long haul. I am contemplating the SE-255's for my '13 Limited and plan to never change the heads or pistons, again looking for reliability.

SE-254E CAM KIT
This cam provides great low-end torque along with
good midrange. A good “all-around” cam, the SE-254E
is a good match for a Dyna, Softail or light Touring bike
- Road King
®, Street Glide® or Road Glide® Custom -
when the aggressive rider desires a little more top-end
horsepower. In a 0-60 sprint or 1/4 mile drag race, the
SE-254E-equipped model would pull ahead of an identical
model with a SE-255 cam.

SE-255 CAM KIT
The ultimate in torque cams, this cam offers substantial