Electrical/Lighting/Alarm Having electrical problems? Discussion on everything electrical and lighting systems.

Tail light question

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2015, 01:52 PM
Joe Mann
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tail light question

My road king has a security system on it and was wondering if it has something to do with my taillight staying on when the bikes turned off?

Thanks in advance

Old 09-21-2015, 07:10 AM
nhrider1
Road Warrior
Received 53 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe Mann
My road king has a security system on it and was wondering if it has something to do with my taillight staying on when the bikes turned off?

Thanks in advance
I doubt it. The security systems on my bikes doesn't leave the taillight on.

Look for a short in the wiring to the tail light.

Old 09-21-2015, 11:05 AM
enodrano
Road Captain
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Yes you security system does interact with the tail lights but it would not leave the taillight on for an extended period of time while the bikes off. It's possible you security system is malfunctioning but I would check your brake light switches first.

There will be a switch at the front brake lever and one near the rear brake foot pad. I would start with the front brake lever. The front switch is usually the most likely colporate, especially if the brake housing was disassembled without shimming the brake lever damaging the switch.

Try pushing the front brake lever forward away from the grip and see if the brake lights go out. If they do then the rubber cover over the brake switch plunger is probably not seated right. The master cylinder plunger may also not be returning all the way. If that's the case lubricate the plunger with some brake fluid. Worst case you would have to have the master cylinder rebuilt or replaced.

Also, if your red security key light is on the ECM may be throwing a Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC). Check the code and go from there.

Old 09-21-2015, 06:47 PM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 8,499 Likes on 4,612 Posts

Originally Posted by nhrider1

Look for a short in the wiring to the tail light.
A short discussion...

A short in the tail lamp circuit would not cause the lamp to illuminate, it would cause a blown fuse.

But some lamps can be illuminated when there is a short, such as the oil pressure and neutral indicator lamps.

In the case of the neutral and oil pressure indicator circuits, a short between the indicator lamp and the switch would cause the indicator lamp to illuminate, however, a short between the battery and indicator lamp would cause a blown fuse.

The indicator circuits are different than most circuits, because the switches actually control the ground side of the circuit.

Last edited by Dan89FLSTC; 09-21-2015 at 07:08 PM.