Electrical/Lighting/Alarm Having electrical problems? Discussion on everything electrical and lighting systems.

Brake light

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2014, 06:08 PM
Jorojin
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake light

Hello. I have a 2000 Springer Softail. On a ride to a family reunion, the taillight wires came off the fender into the caliper. I found out because I hit the brakes and nothing happened. No stopping. I got the bike pulled over and cut the wires. Once I got home, I reran the wires and am now having a problem. Using a circuit tester, the inline brake switch from the foot pedal lights up when I hit the pedal. The wire coming off the rear brake switch that I tie the wire from the taillight into lights up when I hit the pedal. If I touch the brake light wire from the taillight directly to the battery, it lights up. When I tie the brake light wire from the taillight to the wire off the rear brake switch, the brake light lights up when I pull the front brake lever, but when I hit the foot brake pedal, nothing. The regular taillight works and the brake light works if I use the front brake lever.

Long story short (kinda): taillight and brake light works. brake light works when I squeeze front brake lever. The rear brake switch lights up a circuit tester. The wire under the seat from the switch lights up a circuit tester when I depress the rear brake pedal. When I tie the brake light wire in with the wire from the switch, I get nothing from rear brake pedal. I test where the two wires meet and nothing, even though the wire from the switch lights up a circuit tester when no wire is tied into it. Basically, it tests good for power until I wire the brake light to it.

I hope this makes sense.

I forgot to mention that I have a tombstone taillight. It has two wires, one for normal taillight and one for brake light. The taillight works fine, the brake light is what I am having problems with.