Engine Mechanical Topics Discussion for motor builds, cams, head work, stripped bolts and other engine related issues. The good and the bad. If it goes round and around or up and down, post it here.

TC Tensioner Failure Prevention

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2017, 01:07 PM
Skofflaw
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TC Tensioner Failure Prevention

New to HD and new to this forum I'm seeking advice. This is likely a dead horse issue and my apologies if its totally beat to death but I learned of the TC 88 cam chain tensioner problems AFTER the purchase of my low mileage and seemingly flawless 2006 Road King. At 7k miles it sounds and runs perfectly and I intend to keep it that way.

I want to order the best replacement tensioner shoes, can you guys tell me what brands to trust?

Replace inner needle bearings. B148 I'm told is the number and is Torrington the best? Should I invest in the bearing tool or is a slide hammer type for removal and freezing the bearing ok to install?

I would replace the shoes every 10 to 20k miles which for me might be every 3rd year. Should I go back with adjustable push rods or can I remove oem without pulling heads?

I ride easy and use fully synthetic at conservative intervals.

Thanks for advice

Old 03-14-2017, 01:49 PM
djl
HDF Community Team

Received 2,031 Likes on 1,499 Posts

I already have provided my suggestions on tensioner shoes in your last post in another thread. I have removed the inner cam bearings with a blind hole puller that can be rented/borrowed from Auto Zone and/or Advanced Auto and installed the new by tapping them in with an old cam shaft. Freeze the bearing over night, apply assembly lube to the bearing and boss, make sure the bearing is started straight with numbers facing out and tap them in. Or spend $125, or thereabouts for the R/R tool.

Adjustable push rods vs removing heads is a personal call and a simple trade off between cost and time; either way will work. I would pay attention to the rotation of the chains and reinstall them so they are rotating in the same direction. I would also pay attention to the lifters and pushrods and put the lifters back in the same bore they came out of and the pushrods back on the rocker arm they came off of.

The following users liked this post:
Skofflaw (03-14-2017)
Old 03-14-2017, 06:56 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,253 Likes on 3,627 Posts

I think you mean rocker towers..

Old 03-14-2017, 08:05 PM
Skofflaw
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would prefer solid pushrods if I can remove rocker towers. I assume piston up on the compression stroke to relieve tension. But I won't be removing heads. I'm a noob to HD engines as you can tell.

I'll check crank runout while in there. Maybe gear drive cams in the future.

Old 03-14-2017, 08:18 PM
QC
Club Member
Received 19,786 Likes on 9,863 Posts

Originally Posted by djl
I already have provided my suggestions on tensioner shoes in your last post in another thread. I have removed the inner cam bearings with a blind hole puller that can be rented/borrowed from Auto Zone and/or Advanced Auto and installed the new by tapping them in with an old cam shaft. Freeze the bearing over night, apply assembly lube to the bearing and boss, make sure the bearing is started straight with numbers facing out and tap them in. Or spend $125, or thereabouts for the R/R tool.

Adjustable push rods vs removing heads is a personal call and a simple trade off between cost and time; either way will work. I would pay attention to the rotation of the chains and reinstall them so they are rotating in the same direction. I would also pay attention to the lifters and pushrods and put the lifters back in the same bore they came out of and the pushrods back on the rocker arm they came off of.

Old 03-15-2017, 11:55 AM
Lunchboxx
Road Master

Received 185 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by Skofflaw
I would prefer solid pushrods if I can remove rocker towers. I assume piston up on the compression stroke to relieve tension. But I won't be removing heads. I'm a noob to HD engines as you can tell.

I'll check crank runout while in there. Maybe gear drive cams in the future.
Get A service manual if you dont already have one and follow the steps! Super easy I used CYCO shoes

Old 03-16-2017, 07:39 AM
Hillsidecycle.com
Sponsor
Received 816 Likes on 581 Posts

The Cyco shoes work well.
Scott

Sales/Support 315-495-6650
www.hillsidecycle.com
Walk-in Retail Showroom
Complete H-D Machine Shop
Case & cylinder boring
Complete Cylinder Head Shop
High-Performance Engine Kits
Crank Rebuilding
Direct Link & PowerVision Tuning
Goodson HD Tooling Manufacturer
Maxton Mile World Record
4500 sq ft. facility

OVER 35 YEARS OF H-D ENGINE BUILDING.
See us on Facebook.
Old 03-16-2017, 04:30 PM
Roadflyer
Road Master
Received 189 Likes on 116 Posts

Leave the bike alone for another 20k miles, it will be fine.
I also got all caught up in the internet hype about tensioners.
Mine had 9500 miles and I just had to do the conversion.....
Shoulda just left it alone, spent a lot of money and created some other problems in the process.

Old 03-17-2017, 11:05 AM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,253 Likes on 3,627 Posts

I suspect that tensioner longevity is really based on heat and how much time the bike sits idling.. Idling puts the most load on the tensioner as the lifters can roll the cam forward loading the spring.. When the tensioner side of the chain slackens, tensioner slaps the chain. Those little bubbles you see in the tensioners are from the tensioner impacting the chain. If there were in the tensioner from the start, you'd see them with a cross section.

I know a guy that got close 60K out of a set of tensioners. He didn't use his bike in town much. I removed a set with 22k on them and they looked like they could have gone 60 easy.. Bike didn't sit in traffic much even thought it was driven to work through town.

Letting the motor get real hot does not help. Plastics all have a temp limit.

Old 03-20-2017, 04:55 PM
13RoadKing
Banned
Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Replacing good parts is interesting way to spend time and money. Can you find something better to do?
Unfortunately I did exactly the same, replacing some part just in case on my KLR650 after reading their forum.

Last edited by 13RoadKing; 03-20-2017 at 04:59 PM.

Quick Reply: TC Tensioner Failure Prevention