Engine Mechanical Topics Discussion for motor builds, cams, head work, stripped bolts and other engine related issues. The good and the bad. If it goes round and around or up and down, post it here.

Breather Bolts holding air breather bracket

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2014, 04:24 PM
hoghead5860
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Breather Bolts holding air breather bracket

Does somebody know what is behind the breather bolt that holds the bracket that keeps my Carb in place. I have a 2002 Harley Fatboy with partially stripped threads. Located just below the chrome block covers. It is on one of the two bolts only. I already have the Heli Coil Kit to repair it, but have been reluctant to do this job because after you screw in the Heli Coil there is a very small little clip that's part of the Coil that must be broken off. This little clip as I'm calling it, is there to allow the bolt to screw down the coil, but must be broken off to allow the new bolt that will now hold bracket to be tightened. The problem is that I don't know where the breather hole leads to, which concerns me in case the little clip that is usually broken off with a screw driver, and the light tap with a hammer. In this case because I don't know what it goes, had thought of using some very small needle nose pliers, and am thinking ahead in case it slips off the pliers and falls in. BOTTOM LINE: WHERE DO THE BREATHER HOLES LEAD TO. SEE PHOTO

Attached Thumbnails Breather Bolts holding air breather bracket-2014-02-26-16.15.54.jpg  
Old 02-26-2014, 04:39 PM
hobobiker
Tourer
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

It's basically a hole in the cylinder head that allows the motor to push air (and some oil at times) out of the motor - hence the "breather" bolt, which is hollow inside and allows the air to pass through. As for what's behind it, it's just a hollow port that goes up into the head/rockerbox area. Don't have a schematic that I can attach at the moment...

Old 02-26-2014, 07:09 PM
hoghead5860
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just need to be sure that if a little piece of the coil which amounts to about the diameter of a paper clip but less than a 1/4" long falls in there it can't cause any damage. If it can I may have to take it to a professional that has the tools to break it off without it falling into the hole. Thank you for your help

Old 02-28-2014, 09:58 AM
IBDAGRIZ
Road Master
Received 224 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by hoghead5860
I just need to be sure that if a little piece of the coil which amounts to about the diameter of a paper clip but less than a 1/4" long falls in there it can't cause any damage. If it can I may have to take it to a professional that has the tools to break it off without it falling into the hole. Thank you for your help
How about some needle nose pliers to hold/snap it off once it is in there? Maybe a pair of hemostat type of tweezers would help.

You could always take off the top cover on the rocker if you really wanted to..

Griz

Old 03-01-2014, 11:29 AM
bagman1
Elite HDF Member
Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

another thought might be to fill the hole behind the helicoil with grease, that will keep the piece from flying down the hole. Or thread some string or rope thru the helicoil and tight behind it, then pull or vacuum the piece out.