EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Now what? Advice and help needed

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2014, 08:26 PM
tmanbuckhunter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by texashillcountry
If it ain't broke don't fix it!!!!!!!!!!!!
If it ain't leaking under the rocker boxes just leave it alone.
I have reused cam cover gaskets before.
If it comes off in one piece then it is still good to go.
How is he going to install the pushrods without pulling the lower box with the rockers?

re-using gaskets like that is a fools game IMO... better use RTV.

Old 12-21-2014, 08:34 PM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Received 4,317 Likes on 1,946 Posts

Originally Posted by tmanbuckhunter
How is he going to install the pushrods without pulling the lower box with the rockers?

re-using gaskets like that is a fools game IMO... better use RTV.
Ok oops I lost track of that conversation.
I don't reuse metal gaskets but all the others are reusable.
I have done it with no leaks several times.
The only thing that matters is if the gasket comes off in one piece.

Old 12-22-2014, 03:13 PM
Spanners39
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 447 Likes on 255 Posts

You'll need to pull the lower rocker when you put it all back together. All in the FSM man... read it carefully. Go with James gaskets for everything but the rocker box base gaskets... use the HD ones I sent you for that; they're the rubber coated steel ones. The james rocker box gaskets are great except for the base gaskets.

The James ones are steel and silicone too, its all I ever use. You can do the job without removing the lower rocker base if you pull the rocker shafts.

But knowing the Op's luck it might be time to change them while winter is upon him.

Old 12-22-2014, 03:21 PM
tmanbuckhunter
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Spanners39
The James ones are steel and silicone too, its all I ever use. You can do the job without removing the lower rocker base if you pull the rocker shafts.

But knowing the Op's luck it might be time to change them while winter is upon him.
The one James one I sent him is paper.

Old 12-22-2014, 03:24 PM
Spanners39
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 447 Likes on 255 Posts

The one James one I sent him is paper.

Never seen a paper James one...only ever seen paper H-D ones, its why I use James...

Old 12-22-2014, 03:27 PM
tmanbuckhunter
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Spanners39
Never seen a paper James one...only ever seen paper H-D ones, its why I use James...
I guess you guys get different stuff over there. The HD ones I sent him are a rubber coated steel and came out of a kit I bought earlier this year.

Old 12-22-2014, 03:35 PM
br549A1
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

I'm trying to figure out what to order and what not to. I'll post a pic of the paper James its part of the kit JGI-17042-92. There's many variations it seems. As of right now I removed the rocker shaft exactly as shown in the sticky spanners did. Haven't touched the lower box yet otherwise.

I am debating on just ordering one upper lower middle and one umbrella vs ordering a whole kit. If I need anything else the prices get close and I think I might need a few random pieces.

T, you send me a bunch of o rings in various sizes not sure about those yet either. Did you send two pushrods worth?

Old 12-22-2014, 03:37 PM
tmanbuckhunter
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by kp877
I'm trying to figure out what to order and what not to. I'll post a pic of the paper James its part of the kit JGI-17042-92. There's many variations it seems. As of right now I removed the rocker shaft exactly as shown in the sticky spanners did. Haven't touched the lower box yet otherwise.

I am debating on just ordering one upper lower middle and one umbrella vs ordering a whole kit. If I need anything else the prices get close and I think I might need a few random pieces.

T, you send me a bunch of o rings in various sizes not sure about those yet either. Did you send two pushrods worth?
Yeah, those are push rod O-rings and there are enough for two pushrods. You have an o-ring in the head, an o-ring in the lifter block, and one in the tube.

Like I said... either piece that stuff together, or buy new kits and keep the extras because you never know... those extras have come in handy for me.

I'm not worried about it because my motor is getting torn down for a 2nd time in 2015 for a complete and final build, so I don't need the extras right now... if she dies again she can just sit again. lol

Old 12-22-2014, 03:38 PM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Received 4,317 Likes on 1,946 Posts

Originally Posted by kp877

If he sent you 12 (3 sets of 4) then you have all you need for the pushrod tubes.

Old 12-22-2014, 03:43 PM
br549A1
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

It's coming apart again? What's the plan now?

Quick Reply: Now what? Advice and help needed