EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Exhaust Tick

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2015, 02:39 PM
Tony_N
Road Master
Received 252 Likes on 175 Posts
Default Exhaust Tick

Ok guys...I installed a set of Rush Racing 6020ST-175 pipes on my '91 Heritage Softail Classic back in January. There's a tick coming from the exhaust at idle that seems to be coming from the top pipe. I pulled the pipe to make sure there was nothing loose inside the pipe that could cause a rattle. Still have the tick. Any ideas?

Sorry...the second video is a little shaky.

Thanks,
Tony

Old 04-30-2015, 03:59 PM
Owtlaw
Road Warrior
Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Sounds fine to me.

Old 04-30-2015, 05:48 PM
Harleycruiser
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

That sounds like a burnt valve to me, have you done a compression test, or leak down test?

Old 04-30-2015, 05:59 PM
D_gyver
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

its hard to tell from a video but it sounds like an exhaust leak rush pipes are known for leaking at the o2 sensor ports and at the head they have a crappy quality control department.

Old 04-30-2015, 07:13 PM
Tony_N
Road Master

Originally Posted by Harleycruiser
That sounds like a burnt valve to me, have you done a compression test, or leak down test?
Compression / leak down test was done about a year and a half ago and it was good. Still runs good, just that anoying tick when idling.

Originally Posted by D_gyver
its hard to tell from a video but it sounds like an exhaust leak rush pipes are known for leaking at the o2 sensor ports and at the head they have a crappy quality control department.
Thanks Dale...I wish I'd know about the QC before I picked them up. I replaced the gaskets when I installed the pipes with tapered mesh gaskets. Also used Never Seize on the o2 sensor plugs. I did pick up a new set of HD tapered 65324-83B gaskets this afternoon. They're still tapered, but harder than the mesh gaskets. I'll see if I can find a leak...quit smoking 11 years ago, otherwise I'd use a cig...but don't need to get the temptation again.

Tony

Old 04-30-2015, 07:16 PM
Harleycruiser
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Tony_N
Compression / leak down test was done about a year and a half ago and it was good. Still runs good, just that anoying tick when idling.

Thanks Dale...I wish I'd know about the QC before I picked them up. I replaced the gaskets when I installed the pipes with tapered mesh gaskets. Also used Never Seize on the o2 sensor plugs. I did pick up a new set of HD tapered 65324-83B gaskets this afternoon. They're still tapered, but harder than the mesh gaskets. I'll see if I can find a leak...quit smoking 11 years ago, otherwise I'd use a cig...but don't need to get the temptation again.

Tony
When did the tick start?

Old 04-30-2015, 07:31 PM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,812 Likes on 3,316 Posts

Take the rear pipe off and look for a carbon trace. As loud as that leak is you should see something and just for the hell of it do a comp and leak down test. Its definitely in the rear cylinder or exhaust.

Last edited by 98hotrodfatboy; 04-30-2015 at 07:33 PM.
Old 04-30-2015, 07:33 PM
Tony_N
Road Master

Originally Posted by Harleycruiser
When did the tick start?
The tick started about a month after I changed the pipes, so sometime in February. I did re-torque the exhaust flanges. From what I can tell, it only does it at idle though. It sounds like the tick is coming from the top pipe. In the second video, the upper exhaust pipe without the heat shield on it would not allow me to hold my hand over it…it would force my hand out. The bottom pipe still had the heat shield on it and is not air tight like the actual exhaust pipe, there’s a gap around where the pipe goes into it and the cutout on the back.

Last edited by Tony_N; 04-30-2015 at 07:35 PM.
Old 04-30-2015, 07:37 PM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,812 Likes on 3,316 Posts

Actually by the video it sounds as if your getting it at higher rpm's as well. When you put the pipes on did you re-jet the carb? For now Pull the plugs and post a pic. It will tell a lot.. Just let us know which one was the rear....Thanx....

Old 04-30-2015, 07:53 PM
Tony_N
Road Master

Originally Posted by 98hotrodfatboy
Take the rear pipe off and look for a carbon trace. As loud as that leak is you should see something and just for the hell of it do a comp and leak down test. Its definitely in the rear cylinder or exhaust.
I don't have the equipment to do a compression / leak down test, I'll have to get my indy to do that.

Originally Posted by 98hotrodfatboy
Actually by the video it sounds as if your getting it at higher rpm's as well. When you put the pipes on did you re-jet the carb? For now Pull the plugs and post a pic. It will tell a lot.. Just let us know which one was the rear....Thanx....
I'll pull the plugs in the morning after I get off work and get a little rest. The carb was re-jetted when I changed the air cleaner out and I have checked the plugs in the past to make sure they aren't white. I'll check in the am to see what jets are in it. From memory I think it's 45/185 with a CVP needle.

Quick Reply: Exhaust Tick