Opinions/Advice 1993 90th Anniv Electra Glide

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2016, 10:36 PM
ozbatts
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Opinions/Advice 1993 90th Anniv Electra Glide

Hi all,

I've just joined the forum and would appreciate any advice or feedback.

I have the opportunity to purchase a 1993 90th Anniversary Electra Glide Classic. It's available through a friend (not on open market). The bike hasn't been ridden for a couple of years due to owners health. He got the bike running for the owner, needed a battery and carb kit.

The bike has under 30k miles and is original owner. Cosmetically I'd say it's a 9/10, completely original even has stock pipes and cassette deck. At this stage the bike needs a new belt, current one has rock imbeded in it and about to go. The rear base gasket is leaking, and tires are dated 2000 so I imagine hard as a rock. As its sat so long I imagine all fluids would need changing.

My questions are;

1) Any guesstimate hat the bike is worth as is.
2) Anything else to look out for?
3) Any comments, upgrade suggestions.

Thanks all, I really appreciate your time.

Old 04-18-2016, 10:57 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 395 Likes on 337 Posts

I wouldn;t care about an 'anniversary".

changing the belt in labour intensive- the complete primary drive needs to come off ( clutch everything) the swingarm has to come off.
this is the times to replace the bushings on the swingarm

tires, fluids, brake lines, fluid rebuild the master cylinders and calipers.

all can be done at home if you are savvy.

Mike

The following users liked this post:
ozbatts (04-19-2016)
Old 04-18-2016, 11:08 PM
0maha
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,668 Likes on 1,660 Posts

I bought a '90 last year.

If put the value around $5k to $6k, more or less, assuming it presents well. Super clean, near perfect units might get more. Not a lot of us goofballs looking for these older baggers.

Things to look for? Pretty much everything. Tires, brakes, fluids are a given. From there, it's just a matter of troubleshooting stuff as it happens and/or upgrading stuff as you see fit.

I first "went Evo" a couple of years ago. My overall impression is that these things need a bit more care and feeding than the newer stuff, but the ownership experience is far more satisfying if you're the type that wants that sort of relationship with a bike.

ozbatts (04-19-2016)
Old 04-18-2016, 11:09 PM
JesseDyna
Road Warrior
Received 312 Likes on 228 Posts

A 30k EVO in original condition. I'd take it in a second.

Are you mechanically inclined? You can get a manual for instructions on all the work but the tools and knowledge of how to tackle everything will be a factor.

Nadaguide has a good guide for values. Considering the lack of use and the significant maintenance, I'd be looking for a significant deal. Those things can be done in a weekend by someone experienced but would take considerably more time if first time. If you need a pro to get the bike road-worthy you'll likely spend more than a bike which is already maintained and safe to ride as is.

ozbatts (04-19-2016)
Old 04-18-2016, 11:21 PM
ozbatts
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No I'm not mechanically inclined, so I'll need to pay to have the work done

Old 04-19-2016, 12:50 AM
Hackd
Elite HDF Member
Received 81 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by ozbatts
I have the opportunity to purchase a 1993 90th Anniversary Electra Glide Classic.

My questions are;

1) Any guesstimate hat the bike is worth as is.
2) Anything else to look out for?
3) Any comments, upgrade suggestions.
1) Bike values are market and geography dependent. In my locale, I'd imagine around $5000 would buy one.

2) 93 was transition year (I own an 93 FLHS-ElectraGlide Sport) for the touring models. Factory cam sucks, carb is EPA choked, cam bearing is cheap junk. Wheel bearings are the old school pack your own type (a good think, IMHO). If the tires are old, the bearings need to be cleaned/packed when you buy new rubber. The base gasket leak is common. Mine leaked for 12 years before I got it fixed. Bad design on how the oil returns from the heads to the case. It's a good 4+ hour job to do them. I think the Stealerships got 6 hours labor to do them. The belt may or may not be in need of replacement, more on this below.

3) If you want a bagger and can get it really, really cheap (under $4k), then it's a good deal.

Immediate needs: Tires, wheel bearing re-pack, spark plugs, fluids (oil, transmission, primary) change. Brake system flush and fresh fluid. Fork oil probably needs to be changed too. Hit all the Zerk fitting with some grease. Lubricate the throttle cables and speedometer cable too.

Upgrades: Cam, exhaust, air cleaner. EVO's were strangled by the EPA (noise and emissions) and barely put out 50-60 hp. They need to breathe: Air In, Air Out. I remember my new 93 was a DOG in stock configuration.

Originally Posted by 0maha
I'd put the value around $5k to $6k, more or less, assuming it presents well. Super clean, near perfect units might get more. Not a lot of us goofballs looking for these older baggers.
Yup. On both counts... But I really doubt even a pristine 93 FLTCU would fetch more than $6k. Too many newer bikes out there. I'd be tempted below $4k.

Originally Posted by mkguitar
Changing the belt in labour intensive- the complete primary drive needs to come off ( clutch everything) the swingarm has to come off. This is the times to replace the bushings on the swingarm

tires, fluids, brake lines, fluid rebuild the master cylinders and calipers.
I'd evaluate how bad that rock really is. I picked up a small stone ~1/4" probably twenty years ago on my 93. Used an ice pick to push it out, and have never had an issue. But... It was in the middle of the belt, not on an edge. If he's got to replace the belt, I'd also upgrade the drive sprocket nut. Harley upgraded the design in 94.

Originally Posted by ozbatts
No I'm not mechanically inclined, so I'll need to pay to have the work done
Don't take this wrong, but you really don't want to be messing around with 23 year old junk if you can't 'spin a wrench'. These EVO's will drive you nutz with all their 'funny' noises (valve train, transmission, etc). You'll be paying someone an hour worth of labor just to squelch your paranoia. A lot of the parts for the older bikes have been obsoleted by Harley. The aftermarket has a lot of support for certain things, but for the rest it's going to be an adventure finding them. eBay, Craigslist, swap meets, forums (like this one) are the best sources.

Most Harley Stealerships won't even work on an EVO. I've had at least two dealerships tell me: 'We don't work on bikes more than 12 years old'. Don't know why 12 is the magic number.... Soooooo.... If you need repairs/maintenance, you'll need to find a GOOD bike shop to do the work for you. There are a lot of places that say they can work on Harleys, but a lot of them haven't a clue.

Good Luck.

ozbatts (04-19-2016)
Old 04-19-2016, 02:11 AM
Ron750
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,515 Likes on 6,271 Posts

If you don't have the DIY skills (I don't) don't do it. Harley maintenance gets expensive at $100/hr.
A good Indy could save you money.Mine is $70/hr.

ozbatts (04-19-2016)
Old 04-19-2016, 05:29 AM
Tom84FXST
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 18,234 Likes on 5,406 Posts

Originally Posted by Hackd

If you want a bagger and can get it really, really cheap (under $4k), then it's a good deal.

Don't take this wrong, but you really don't want to be messing around with 23 year old junk if you can't 'spin a wrench'.

If you can't do the work yourself, you would be better off to leave it alone... unless you can get it really cheap.

ozbatts (04-19-2016)
Old 04-19-2016, 07:15 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Talking

Hi from the UK and welcome to HDF. I've owned my 1990 Glide from new. Adding to the comments above, we each of us establish a 'line' up to which we feel able to tackle jobs on a bike. Changing belts is beyond my own threshold, so I entrust my local friendly indy for such work and other jobs that require skills beyond my own.

However it is right to say that owning an older bike like that 90th would be most wisely done with some mechanical knowledge, so that you can do the routine stuff, at the very least. Now some of the chaps in here would give their right arm for a chance at that bike.....

Last edited by grbrown; 04-19-2016 at 07:20 AM.
ozbatts (04-19-2016)
Old 04-19-2016, 07:37 AM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Received 4,317 Likes on 1,946 Posts

Here is the obvious question.
What are they asking for it????

Quick Reply: Opinions/Advice 1993 90th Anniv Electra Glide