EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Rear Shocks?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2016, 02:43 PM
RLH3175
Stellar HDF Member

Received 2,411 Likes on 904 Posts
Default Rear Shocks?

Has any used, or know anything about these shocks, Progressive Suspension 412-4049B 12 Standard 412 Series Shocks For Harley Davidson Touring.
I need new shocks on my bike.

Old 06-06-2016, 03:09 PM
0maha
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,668 Likes on 1,660 Posts

Originally Posted by RLH3175
Has any used, or know anything about these shocks, Progressive Suspension 412-4049B 12 Standard 412 Series Shocks For Harley Davidson Touring.
That's almost what I put on mine last winter. I went with the 13" ones.

I like them. Not sure what else to say. They are a noticeable improvement over the stockers. I don't have a frame of reference to say how they compare to the big bux stuff (Ohlins, etc).

Old 06-06-2016, 03:16 PM
DeputyLoud
Road Captain
Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Think I had the Progressive 944 STD and HD versions on mine and honestly hated them. Maybe it depends on style of riding? We are 2up 90% of the time and loaded. Sold em and got some Ohlins and never looked back. HUGE improvement! So for a matter of maybe another $150 initially I could have just went with the Ohlins. But instead I messed around with the progressives for about a year. Live and learn!

Some here are satisfied with them, some are not. Lot's and lots of threads to read on this subject.

Old 06-06-2016, 03:21 PM
Dazzauk
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

these have been on my 1996 wide glide for almost 20 years and they still work fine

I emailed progressive the other day because the bushes are starting to perish and they said as long as they still work they dont need replacing..

I cant compare with stock shocks as never rode with them but i can corner my wide glide like a lot faster than one would imagine a harley to corner and thats sfter 20 years

Old 06-06-2016, 03:33 PM
Beemervet
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 435 Likes on 317 Posts

Originally Posted by RLH3175
Go with 13".

Old 06-06-2016, 03:35 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts

If you are keen to buy new shocks we have Hagons available over here old chap. Their 'normal' ones are OK on my Sporty, although I wish I had splashed out on their Nitros, which should give a better ride. If you ride mostly solo then choice of brand is not as critical as riding 2-up, especially with a special passenger. I have Ohlins on my Glide and they are sublime, especially 2-up and fully loaded on tour. It's the only way to travel!

Old 06-06-2016, 03:48 PM
billib1954
Road Master
Received 353 Likes on 233 Posts

I use 412's on my dyna, good inexpensive improvement over stock.

Old 06-06-2016, 04:24 PM
Schex
Supporter
Received 6,816 Likes on 1,760 Posts

When I bought the Ohlins, Howard at Motorcyclemetal just came out with the #2 adjustables, which he called 2.5's at the time, they have the longest stroke @94mm (3.7")of all the models he offers, which is a big advantage, and quite more than other high end aftermarket shocks offered for a touring Harley.
2.5's are not on his website, and Ohlins doesn't offer them either AFAIK, you have to call him to order them.

Yes they are expensive but worth every penny to me,
(you also get a HDF member discount)

I'm two up almost 100%, have about 35k on them.

When I got the '09 ultra a few months back, on the first ride, it was a good reminder of how bad the air shocks rode compared to quality shocks.
I came home and ordered another set.
I had to send a check to reserve a pair because parts for them where on order, and not available for a month, and I believe he was sold out before the parts arrived, I was going to wait however long I had too, took a little over one month.
And well worth it.

The shocks are built from specs you provide, such as model, two up, combined riders weight, luggage.

You don't just throw them on, you have to check swingarm alignment and correct it with shims, accurately set up sag(spring preload), then damping, not hard at all.

The shocks are 13", but with the riders aboard are under 12" with the sag set up at 1/3 of the total stroke.

Old 06-28-2016, 08:45 AM
rivercityslim
Road Master
Received 46 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Schex3x
Yes they are expensive but worth every penny to me (you also get a HDF member discount)
Just got my Ohlins from Motorcycle Metal installed along with new Race Tech single rate fork springs and emulators up front. It's like a new world!

Several years back I dumped the stock air suspension front and rear in favor of Progressive 440 shocks and Progressive fork springs with Ricor Intiminators. This was a big improvement over stock from a handling perspective, but the ride was no longer quite as plush. I decided that the handling improvement was worth the somewhat rougher ride.

Over time though, my old bones began demanding a little more comfort, so I finally splurged on the upgrade. The handling is just as good if not better, and the ride is smoothed right out. Win-win. Expensive, yes, but in this case you get what you pay for.

Old 08-09-2016, 09:20 PM
Adventure Nut
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just purchased my 2.5 adjustable Ohlin shocks from Howard "The Man," Messner. So, now I have to wait until the delivery date. I am pretty excited about installing and setting them up on my 16 Road King. It should make a world of difference. By the way, Howard was great. Very knowledgeable, but I am sure I will be picking his brain in the near future.

Quick Reply: Rear Shocks?