EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Stereo speakers 90 Ultra

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2007, 04:34 AM
pajoe
Road Captain
Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Stereo speakers 90 Ultra

The speakers are the same size, front and rear, and if you want to measure them, just pull the grill off one of the rear speakers. I also saw a fellow that installed bigger speakers in the lower glove boxes - sound wise, that would be a benefit for me as I ride 2 up all the time and the rear speakers are blocked, almost worthless with a passenger sitting there.

With the Biketronics kit installed we were also able to continue using the stock HD intercom on our 1990 Ultra - not sure if the same will happen with newer Ultras. We never had the CB working but was told we would not be able to use it - on the other hand they also said we would not be able to use the intercom. Also, I tried tapping into the HD rear speaker amplifier leads and got some weaker signal out the rear speakers but never followed through figuring out what needed to be done to actually make it work as we ended up getting the portable J&M Intergratr4 intercom ( keep it in the tourpack) for the the intercom so we could hook in our GPS. It took some time to get our system working the way we like it, but it is OK now, well I would like a little more output power but under normal riding conditions we can hear our music up to about 80 mph with the boomcan exhaust on, after that the we have to push the system to the point where, some , not all, of the mp3s we are playing have some distortion - that is with the iPod and radio set for our hearing level - yours may be different as your hearing will be different than mine. BTW: we did find the iPod ( with Sony interface) the best for us, we didn't like Sat radio as well as the iPod, and we tried both XM and Sirius, although sat radio is better for talk.

http://www.biketronics.com/ kit cheaper through http://www.denniskirk.com/
http://www.jmcorp.com/ J&M stuff cheaper through http://www.sierra-mc.com/
or Dennis Kirk

On the speakers, they say 4 ohm speakers may cause the stock HD radio amplifier circuit to overheat, but I had no trouble with 4 ohm speakers. I don't know if I would recommend 2 ohm speakers though, however, most newer radios will work with 2 ohm speakers. If you go from 8 ohm to 4 ohm it will increase the output, likewise going from 4 ohm to 2ohm will increase the output and speakers that are more sensitive will increase the output because they don't require as much input. That is why I would like to try the Infinity (2 ohm) Kappas - overall specs make them the most powerful for our current setup. They are more expensive though, about $120 at Crutchfield.

I think there is an alternative setup to use a Pioneer radio, might be through DragonFly, the people that make the fairings .

Old 08-26-2007, 07:16 PM
pigbike
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just ordered a set of 4" Polk Audio speakers to try out. From what little I know about audio I believe Polk makes good quality speakers and they should be a improvement over the 17 year old stock speakers I have now. I toyed around with the idea of Hogtune speakers but they where twice the price I paid for the Polks and are probably not as good. The Polks where on sale so I decided to go with them. I also ordered a larger set of the Polks for my boat. Also the Polks are marine certified so I don't care if they get wet.

[IMG]local://upfiles/30319/548485985980467BAE3FCD0D0B07EFCB.jpg[/IMG]

Old 08-28-2007, 08:40 PM
pigbike
Advanced

Well the Polks came in today but I need different size push on connectors. I'll pick them up tomorrow and see how they work out. I"ll imstall the rears first and then tackle the fairing. I'm still up in the air on the radio. I might just try it with the stock radio for now. I don't want to lose the auto vol control or handbar controls. I'll have to look into the Biketronics adapter but not sure what it really does for you. I guess it just supplies the hookup between the controls and the radio.

Old 08-30-2007, 07:07 PM
pigbike
Advanced

Well I installed the Polks in the rear speaker boxes and they make a huge difference in the mids and high range. I still have the old speakers in the front so I can flip back and forth.The old onesseem to handle the bass ok but have no mids and highs to speak of. You can't even hear some instruments fromthe front speakers, that just bellow out of the Polks. I wish I had a set of the Hogtunes to compare them with but I don't. The Polks mountin the old speaker mounting holes so the install was a snap. I'll get to installing the fronts shortly but I am kind of tied up for the next few weeks.

Old 10-17-2007, 10:04 PM
baggertime89
Stage I

any clue what kind of wattage the stock radio is putting out?

Old 10-19-2007, 05:42 PM
pigbike
Advanced

I don't have a clue on the wattage. It's probably not that much on a 17 year old stereo. It does sound decent with new speakers.