EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Dealer won't touch an EVO?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2014, 02:03 PM
sdoomaha
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dealer won't touch an EVO?

First....I know...it don't count without pics...they'll be coming. Picking up the bike in snow and below zero temps kinda tricky....

1990 FXSTS converted over to a hard tail, 2 inch belt drive, extended tank, drag bars, mildly built....

Yeah....been riding my twinkie geezer glide and wanted something I little less mild mannered. Keeping the Ultra for long trips and when girlfriend wants to go.

Talking to my Indy about the bike...commented that he's good with the EVO which is a good thing as HD dealerships wont touch them anymore. Called one of the local dealerships...other than oil changes and some basics, they didn't want anything to do with them.

HUH?

How does a manufacturer not support their products...albeit old products?

Glad this site is here....can handle anything with time and direction....and always have my Indy to back me up.

I'm sure I'll be having questions soon!

Old 02-28-2014, 02:05 PM
Spanners39
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 498 Likes on 285 Posts

Most Evos are older than the wrenches at the dealership....our local one doesn't like to work on bikes over 10 years old.....this is a good thing, it keeps the Indies in business!

Old 02-28-2014, 02:08 PM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Received 4,338 Likes on 1,948 Posts

They don't train mechanics any more.
They train Techs (parts changers) and the techs don't have any idea what to do with an EVO!

It's cheaper to do it yourself anyway.

Old 02-28-2014, 03:51 PM
1985gt
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Last I knew Frontier in Lincoln will. What about Dillons? If you don't want to do it your self, then take it to an indy for sure.

Old 02-28-2014, 03:52 PM
billzflhtc
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Evo dealers

I know most dealers don't like to mess with Older bikes, but I am glad to say at my local dealer all the "techs" love em! Even the parts guy is a Evo fanatic I would say. I can go in askin for something, he will just spit out a part number to the others. Two of the other parts help have evos so they like to learn what they can and they have a lot of "patrons?" who have older bikes. Glad I have them near. Sucks that yours wont even look at a bike that is not twinkie.

Old 02-28-2014, 03:59 PM
oldwarrior
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My dealer said he would work on my Evo if I asked him to, also been dealing with them since 1991, and 24 Doughnuts on a Sat Morning over the years as soon as they open doesn't hurt either.

Old 02-28-2014, 04:12 PM
bluharley
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

At the price the HD dealership will charge, I don't know why I would go to them. Find a good indie who runs a tight ship and doesn't have a bunch of guys hanging around drinking beer....that's a bad sign in my experience.

Old 02-28-2014, 04:36 PM
Tom84FXST
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 18,590 Likes on 5,481 Posts

Originally Posted by sdoomaha
How does a manufacturer not support their products...albeit old products?
With the exception of a couple of special model FXRs, they quit making EVOs in 99. Most company's only carry parts for 10 years for a model...so for all practical purposes...all EVO parts are obsolete..they sold them off to venders to get rid of them...so if they wanted to work on an EVO, they would have to buy the parts back from venders, or buy from aftermarket company's...which most dealers don't want to deal with.

Old 02-28-2014, 04:41 PM
Spanners39
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 498 Likes on 285 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom84FXST
With the exception of a couple of special model FXRs, they quit making EVOs in 99. Most company's only carry parts for 10 years for a model...so for all practical purposes...all EVO parts are obsolete..they sold them off to venders to get rid of them...so if they wanted to work on an EVO, they would have to buy the parts back from venders, or buy from aftermarket company's...which most dealers don't want to deal with.

Our local dealership still stocks Shovel and Ironhead parts...I guess we're just lucky down here.

Old 02-28-2014, 04:55 PM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 9,726 Likes on 5,226 Posts

You need a new dealer. Around here they proudly will work on most any HD 1939 to present.
Not many will service cars or bike that are 24 years old. But a new dealer will help you have a messed up one.
Now Honda ten years they tell you if they will look at it cash up front.
To many people bring them in a leave them.

Last edited by smitty901; 02-28-2014 at 04:58 PM.

Quick Reply: Dealer won't touch an EVO?