Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

Road King - stalling, sputtering, lugging

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2007, 02:03 PM
carolinva
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Road King - stalling, sputtering, lugging

First of all, I am new to the forum. I ride an 02 Road King Classic, 20k miles with a Stage 1 kit.

I am not sure if any of these symptoms are related or not but will list them anyway. Sorry , this is long but want to give as much info as I can. I would appreciate any ideas on what the problem could be. The mechanics at the dealerships don't seem to know...

It started about 2 months ago, with an occasional backfire when I would start it. It didn't matter if the engine was warm or cold. Every once in a while it wouldn't start on first try. I rode from Northern VA to Laconia,NH and the day I arrived it started running rough, it stalled once or twice while at idle,and started making aspitting noise. I took it to the local dealer who couldn't reproduce the problem (of course) and told me there were no diagnostic codes on the computer. I didn't get it out of the parking lot, it started again. This time the mechanic heard it, theyloosened themanifold gaskets because 'they were tightened down too much', andtightened a loose fuel injector line. Rode fine for 2 days, started all over again. I was caught in a down pour on the way back to VA, but it was already running poorly by then. When I got home, I took it to my dealer...who couldn't recreate the problem. They changed the spark plugs as part of the 20k service, was toldthat should do it. Well...it ran fine on the way home. It sat for 2 days and then I rode it, about10 miles, mostly interstate and it ran fine. Once on the local roads, it started spitting and running rough at idle. It sat all day, when I rodelater onthat afternoon, it was spitting and running rough the minute I started it. I rode for 20 minutes or so, then itstarted lugging while in 3rd and 4th gear, spitting and stalling at idle.It also had started to rain. I rode straight to the dealer andthe mechanics were able to listen to it. So...they have put it on the dyno and ran the diagnostics and found nothing. The mechanic rode it,of course it's running fine. They are not sure what their next step is.
I use premium gas and not always from the same station. I did a bit of reading before posting this, someone said thatchrome spark plug covers caused his problem. I have had those on mine for about 3 months, I will ask the dealer about that tomorrow.
So the bottom line is it is intermintently spitting, stalling, running roughat idle. Lugging and trying to stall in 3rd and 4th. No pattern; warm or cold engine, rain/no rain. Worse part yet, it is at the dealers and I can't ride!! Any ideas are appreciated...I have lost faith in the dealer's abilityto idenifty the problem. HELP!

Thanks
Carol

Old 07-05-2007, 12:21 PM
radio
Novice
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Road King - stalling, sputtering, lugging

You may want to pull the crank sensor out and clean it. The sensor gets magnetized and will hold small particles on it, which will affect the timing.