Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Running Real Rough!

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2006, 08:24 PM
arachman
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Running Real Rough!

I took my bike in on Monday as it was running rough and backfiring. On accelleration it is coughing and seems as though the motor is cutting out. If I am running steady at just under 2000 RPM it almost acts as thoug it is chugging or missing. If I acellerate up and past the 2000RPM it will start to miss and miss lots. If I ride at a steady speed and maintain a range of 1800-2200 RPM it missed lots. IT seems to do it more when it is cold but it does do it all the time. The tech (as he called himself) said that it was within normal ranges...it has just started doing this and it is not intermitent....There is no way that that kind of missing is normal. I have been riding for months and this was not happening at all.

Today a guy in a little white car....i bet his motor was smaller than mine...were sitting at a traffic light.....when i took off it was missing bad...even back fired twice....and all the way to third gear and once i get an even speed it was missing like crazy. We stopped at the next light and the guy was laughing at me....he said "Nice bike....to bad it runs so shitty....maybe next time you should buy a yamaha!!!" HE laghed me off into the distance.

I took the bike back to the dealer and told him that not only were my buddies giving me a hard time, as in....."what your bike can't pull a 250llb guy around? but now people in cars are making fun of me....is this the way a Harley should ride? I don't think so. I told them it was too humilating to ride and asked that they fix it.

I think they shold cuz when i asked them to fix it the first time they said there was nothing wrong with it and that I didn't need the Techlusion TFI thing and charged me $40.00 in labor.

Any input as to what I can do or suggest to the dealer would be apreciated.

Old 06-01-2006, 09:12 AM
93HD
Advanced
Default RE: Running Real Rough!

Look for a new dealer or shop.There are alot of good shops besides your stealer dealer.Don't
feel like you have to go to your dealer.Some of the best mechanics are found in liitle shops.

Old 06-01-2006, 10:05 PM
Mike05
Tourer

You stated is some older posts about your bike running poorly and it appears it has gotten worse. Your problem may be fuel delivery, electrical or associated with electrical components. There is a lot of data that passes from the engine sensors to the EFI and spark control systems. Find a good shop and have them run a complete diagnostic check. I wouldn't take any chances. It may cost some dollars, but having your bike quit in the middle of the road somewhere could be dangerous.

Old 06-02-2006, 04:18 AM
arachman
Cruiser

It turns out that the problem is carbon build up. I have a spina chord injury and i am not aboe to ride for extended periods of time...as a result i stay mostly in the city and this....i am told....is a problem. I need to get somehighway miles in. So, tomorrow i will go on a 1.5 hour trip....it will be very dificult but i want the bike to last me a long time.

The front plug was very fouled and no doubt the top of the piston and the cylinder are likely carboned up. Hopefully the highway miles will corect the problem and keep it from comming back?

Old 06-02-2006, 10:04 AM
T Tommyt
Road Warrior

SeaFoam Look into this its sold in Autoparts stores,
it takes out Carbon in cars ,boats, lawn mowers I would say bike too
I ues it in all my Gas engines (except Bike but I have had no need Yet)