Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

True Duals -vs- Stock Headers

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2007, 09:44 PM
VicDawg
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default True Duals -vs- Stock Headers

My last bike was a 98 FLHT with a ton of engine mods (SE heads and pistons, Andrews cam, Rolling Rockers, Crane Single Fire, Mikuni HSR42, Bub dual headers w/ White Bro's e-series, , JMS lifters, etc.) I just bought an 07 Street Glide and want to free it up a bit. I keep seeing posts that say the stock headers are efficient but I hate the sound so I'm faced with two options; 1 - slip on's and; 2 - re-do the stock exhaust. I'm thinking Rinehart True Duals, SE Air Cleaner and the SERT download. I'd like to get a bit of a performance boost along the way. Thoughts?

Thanks.

VicDawg

Old 07-29-2007, 10:38 PM
StrGlide
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: True Duals -vs- Stock Headers

You're on the right track. Go Rineharts full system and add a dyno tune and you won't be disappointed.

Old 07-30-2007, 08:44 AM
MiniMe
Road Master

If you like performance you will not like true duals. If you would like to keep the dual pipe look then go with slip-ons on your stock headers, they will out performe true duals all day long. If you don't care about having two pipes then go with a 2-1 pipe such as the V&H Propipe, D&D Fatcat, or Thunderheader. There are manymore models. Do some research and listen to some on others bikes. I had true duals on my bike and hated them. They robbed power where you need it most, to say the least, they sucked.

Old 07-30-2007, 09:11 AM
JPstreetglide
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Minime,
What pipes or mufflers do you have know. I was thinking about getting rinehart slip on or rinehart true duals but I see from you post you would opt for the slip ons over true duals.

Old 07-30-2007, 09:20 AM
sleepneagle
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I agree on slip=ons verses true duals. The scavneging with the stock pipes works better. The better alternative is 2 into 1 for best scavenging. scavenging gives you your best exhaust flow.

Old 07-30-2007, 09:54 AM
MiniMe
Road Master

ORIGINAL: JPROADKING

Minime,
What pipes or mufflers do you have know. I was thinking about getting rinehart slip on or rinehart true duals but I see from you post you would opt for the slip ons over true duals.
I currently run a V&H Propipe 2-1. There are many good slip-ons out there. If thats the direction you are going start doing some searches. V&H makes some great slip-ons, fulsac, thunderheader, Rush, Samson.....ect. There are many. Go to a local bike event and listen to some.

Old 07-30-2007, 10:09 AM
twin88cam
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

May want to consider the D&D fatcat with false pipe. 2 into 1 performance with dual pipe look.

Old 08-02-2007, 06:46 PM
mnormington
Intermediate

I just have to say it. Where does all this crap about duals ruining performance come from? I see it over and over ad nauseum and yet I have them and my performance hasn't suffered one bit. I was almost talked out of them, put them on anyway, and was kind of floored by the sound and - dare I say it - performance. I lost a little (stress LITTLE) torque on the low end but the boost in midrange more than made up for it.

Old 08-02-2007, 07:51 PM
StreetglideOK
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I run trueduals and have no problem with power, and it sounds mean. I also dont have the thigh burning crossover tube on my glide. In theory, the crossover helps with midrange torque as I recall, with a scavenging effect. In practice, I dunno the real difference. Would want to see the same bike, and setup up with stock header pipe and slip ons vs trueduals. There is also ways to get more power out of true dual systems, and supposedly rinehart does this with their tubing increasing in diameter as it goes downstream. With rineharts, you dont have to look at a stock pipe turnin blue.

Old 08-02-2007, 08:06 PM
chriscalabro
Cruiser
Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts

I agree with going with the True Duals. They sound fantastic, remove the heat from your right thigh, and I have not seen a drop in performance.

Quick Reply: True Duals -vs- Stock Headers