Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

Exhaust Pops

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2007, 10:27 AM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 137 Likes on 108 Posts
Default Exhaust Pops

is this something I need to get used to?

I bought and had the HD dealer install the screaming eagle race tuner. Also have stage 1 kit with thunder header pipes.
Live in Houston so the altitude is not an issue.

Worked fine for a little while (maybe 5000 miles) but it's back to popping upon deceleration.

Todd

Old 12-03-2007, 10:30 AM
SPARKY01
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: Exhaust Pops

WHAT SIZE ARE THE BAFFLES?

Old 12-03-2007, 10:42 AM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member

thunderheaders.. there are no baffles.

Old 12-03-2007, 04:36 PM
extech
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Could possibly be intake or exhaust leak.
Have you had any other work done before this started?

Old 12-03-2007, 07:21 PM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member

hi and thanks for your replies.

I haven't had anything else done to the bike motor-wise.

with about 1000 miles on it is when I had the stage 1 kit, thunder headers, and about 4000 miles later, i had the SE race tuner added. It worked fine for a while (maybe 5000 miles), then started popping again. Brought it back, they charged another $65/hr for dyno time and corrected it again. Then later on (another 5000 - 6000 miles) started again. I'm beginning to wonder if this is some technical sales gimmick to get me to keep coming back.

Todd

Old 12-04-2007, 12:52 AM
2fas4u2
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

simply installing the race tuner by the dealer or DIY with one of its pre-programmed maps is not going to work for thunderheaders...only a full dyno tune from scratch 3-5 hours from a true certified race tuner technician (factory trained of course)mind you not the select a map and tweak the AFR kind of tune is going to give you the results (ie. eliminate popping) you desire...i myself have gone through the headaches trying to save money by shortcutting on the dynotune to finally understanding how the race tuner can most efficientlytune your bike...i run the SE Pro Heavy Breather, VH Headers with Thunderheader Slip-ons...needless to say thats a whole lot of air coming into the bike as compared to stock...neither the stage 1 nor the stage 2 race tuner downloads can compensate for this setup...I had to have the bike properly dynotuned to produce an efficient use of cam selection, breather, headers and muffler choice...also if you look into your Thunderheaders you will see several thin tab thingys...these can be bent in such a way that it will eliminate your popping situation as well...this is used in the tuning process of Thunderheaders

Old 12-04-2007, 08:17 AM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member

2fas4u2. I much appreciate the response. When the SE RT was put on they charged me (and I actually waited there while they did it) 3 hours of DYNO time. The 2nd time was again 2.5 hours of DYNO time. The 3rd time was the same 2.5 hours.

So in essence, I'm not short-cutting anything. I look at this bike as an investment so to shortcut things on a $20k bike would be like putting water in the powersteering pump on my brand new car.

I get your point though and as I stated before, I think that this is a technical sales gimmick or as you stated, someone who doesn't know what they're doing in tuning this device. I just found a HD mechanic who is in fact a certified RT technician and is a master mechanic. 27 years old to boot so being that young, still has a desire to do **** right! LOL

Todd

Old 12-04-2007, 12:11 PM
Old Gunny
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If it runs good for awhile after adinoadjustment,and then after awhile causes same old problems, a varitableis changing. One thing lately is the weather. I know it doesn't get real cold in SE Tex. but a little and humidity sure does change.
Gasoline vapor pressure is generally lowered in the winter blend also.
What else? Maybe an intake or exhaust leak. Head gasket?
Engine mounts a little loose could be causing enough vibrations to loose something up.
Something to think about in this area.

Old 12-04-2007, 08:36 PM
Dalton
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

All things being equal, once it is tuned properly you should not be picking up a decel pop due to tuning. Something is changing, and if it was just the weather, then there would be a whole lot of us complaining everytime the temp dipped below 50 that there were issues. Decel popping comes from a couple of things, and first to look for seeing it happens after a period of time is an exhaust leak. Cech your exhaust flange nuts to ensure they are snug. Check all clamps, etc to ensure everything is tight. If everything is right, then maybe, just maybe you have something in you ecm/tuner that is allowing the parameters to change after a period of time, again really should not happen. A rich condition will cause decel popping which is raw fuel in the exhaust that is actually igniting, thus the popping. An exhaust leak with most any fuel condition will cause decel popping as there is always some unburnt fuel due to cam overlap, that enters the exhaust, and a leak adds the necessary air for combustion in the pipe.