General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Old friends with bikes who won't ride

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2014, 01:06 PM
sharkey
Grand HDF Member
Received 433 Likes on 260 Posts
Default Old friends with bikes who won't ride

Our social circle goes back decades and we all have HD's except one couple. This last year or so as we all approach or have passed the big 6 ohh the rest show less interest in riding, especially long distance, than the wife and I still enjoy...is it age or what?
We're the only couple who each ride their own bike; is two up on an Ultra not as much fun as solo on a Dyna? It seems as people get older they become less tolerant of any form of "discomfort"; am I correct? Well; we'll still find time to spend together but I'm too passionate about riding to give it up for a lakeside cabin or a fancy car...

Old 11-01-2014, 01:12 PM
shore
Stellar HDF Member
Received 95 Likes on 69 Posts

you're right and it happens.

I'm 40 and have my limits.

Old 11-01-2014, 01:35 PM
hawwk
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

None of our friends really ride ride anymore. A all day ride with them your lucky to put on 150 miles with all the stops they make. The wife and I each ride our own and do a couple of long distant trips a year, and several day rides in the area. We are 59 and 60. We don't do anymore iron butt rides but on a trip will do 6-8 hundred miles a day if we have to

Old 11-01-2014, 01:47 PM
Ape_Hanger
Road Master
Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts

I'm 34, one of riding buddies is 68. He has an Ultra and despite being in excellent shape for 68, the bike is just about too much for him. It's hard to get him motivated to ride anymore. I've told him a Dyna with a windshield would be much more enjoyable for him, but his wife still likes to ride with him and 2up on a Dyna doesn't interest them. They're actually contemplating one of those Can Am 3 wheel abortions. Whatever keeps them riding I guess.

Old 11-01-2014, 02:15 PM
Angelfire36
Road Warrior
Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

We moved out of the area where most of our friends (that ride) live several years ago.

Occasionally, we will ride back there or they ride to visit us, but by the time they get to our place, they already have had their ride and just want to kick back. We do have a friend who moved here after we did, but he had kids later in life and he wants to spend time with them; so he doesn't ride as much anymore.

And yes, I guess the older you get the more you appreciate the creature comforts. We have been staying in motels vs. camping on the road more nowadays. It does seem to make the long rides a little easier.

Old 11-01-2014, 02:29 PM
sharkey
Grand HDF Member

One thing I've noticed about "old vs creature comforts" is you only get softer. It seems to be irreversible in people I've watched. Applies to more than biking, too.

Old 11-01-2014, 02:36 PM
JimmyDee
Road Master
Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts

This is a shallow observation, but around my area it is the 55 plus guys that do most of the riding. I live close enough to the mountains to make them a good day trip and quite often I see the same guys out enjoying the day. In talking with them I have learned that most have been riding 25+ years.

Like I said, it was not a highly technical observation so I guess it has a lot to do with riding being a large part of their lifestyle.

Old 11-01-2014, 02:48 PM
sharkey
Grand HDF Member

JimmyDee; I think you nailed it. It is definitely part of my lifestyle; since I was 14. It may be that it is more of a hobby for some of my friends and a licence to wear the clothing (LOL). The one couple wanted to travel to Sturgis with us a couple years ago and I said "meet you there" because I knew they wanted to bring some casual riders and a chase Escalade for a couple of their spouses...no way I wanted to be part of that parade. They still have never gone...

Old 11-01-2014, 02:50 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,940 Likes on 2,295 Posts

Yep, we've seen the same thing with some of our friends.

Wife is 58 and I'm 56. We still travel a lot and in all weather. We have gone to some creature comforts, like heated jackets for cold weather.

But many just ride less and less.

Tri-Glides are getting much more popular for those that aren't comfortable with holding up a touring 2 wheeler anymore.

For us, we enjoy the ride too much, and will stay in shape and continue riding for as long as possible.

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Old 11-01-2014, 03:40 PM
Angelfire36
Road Warrior
Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by sharkey
JimmyDee; I think you nailed it. It is definitely part of my lifestyle; since I was 14. It may be that it is more of a hobby for some of my friends and a licence to wear the clothing (LOL). The one couple wanted to travel to Sturgis with us a couple years ago and I said "meet you there" because I knew they wanted to bring some casual riders and a chase Escalade for a couple of their spouses...no way I wanted to be part of that parade. They still have never gone...
You hit it right there. Once you get too many people together everybody has their own idea of how the trip should go. That rarely turns out well, (in my experience). Unless your the type that wants that.

Most of the time, we are the "meet you there" people too. Takes the pressure off and when there are no-shows, or they want/don't want to stop there, etc... it's OK because we are on our own trip anyway.

Quick Reply: Old friends with bikes who won't ride