General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Turn signal problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2014, 10:59 AM
SoCal Bob
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turn signal problem

I have a problem with the left front turn signal on my Ultra Classic. It blinks normally four times and then goes to rapid blinking, like a car does when a bulb is burned out.

All four turn signals' bulbs are working, but at the suggestion of another rider, I switched them around and tried all four bulbs in the problem turn signal - it did not fix the problem.

If I take the bulb out and put it back in repeatedly, sooner or later the problem goes away. But, within a few days, it comes back again. I've sprayed the contacts in the turn signal socket and on the base of the bulb with electrical contact cleaner, but the problem persists.

Does anyone have any thoughts or suggestions on what this might be and how to fix it?

Thanks!

Last edited by SoCal Bob; 12-16-2014 at 11:24 AM.
Old 12-16-2014, 11:17 AM
ohioflhs
Road Warrior

Received 231 Likes on 161 Posts

I have only found a couple others that agree but mine does that when it has a code stored. Probably a turn signal code. I would check for codes and go from there.

Old 12-16-2014, 11:27 AM
JohnMn
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 272 Likes on 211 Posts

Sounds weird, I guess I'd try the cheap fix first and trace down the harness connectors, giving each a pull and twist to see if there's a bad connect there.
Then if that don't do it I'd replace all 4 bulbs, could be something hincky inside a bulb you can't see

Old 12-17-2014, 12:14 AM
Potato_Potato
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by SoCal Bob
I have a problem with the left front turn signal on my Ultra Classic. It blinks normally four times and then goes to rapid blinking, like a car does when a bulb is burned out.

All four turn signals' bulbs are working, but at the suggestion of another rider, I switched them around and tried all four bulbs in the problem turn signal - it did not fix the problem.

If I take the bulb out and put it back in repeatedly, sooner or later the problem goes away. But, within a few days, it comes back again. I've sprayed the contacts in the turn signal socket and on the base of the bulb with electrical contact cleaner, but the problem persists.

Does anyone have any thoughts or suggestions on what this might be and how to fix it?

Thanks!
You’ve tried some good things. I would check the function of each socket by pressing down on the contacts to check the springs. Does each spring loaded contact return to its fully extended position when you release the spring or does it get stuck a little ****-eyed?

I would also use dialectic grease on the contacts. In addition to preventing corrosion & fretting it helps in making a better contact.

If that didn’t work I would replace all of the bulbs — you could have an intermittent bulb failure — they are cheap at Wallmart. Get the ones with part numbers ending in “LL” signifying heavy duty / vibration resistant.

Last edited by Potato_Potato; 12-17-2014 at 12:56 AM.
Old 12-17-2014, 05:42 AM
Next In Line
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 160 Likes on 126 Posts

Change the relay.

Old 12-18-2014, 05:08 AM
kojak
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,494 Likes on 1,244 Posts

Is water getting into the housing? Check for corrosion in the electrical connections.

Old 12-18-2014, 08:56 AM
kingomtn
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if all wiring, contacts (bulb socket and switches), and bulbs have been eliminated try disconnecting the battery and cleaning terminals. Also, how old is the battery.
If it's a newer bike everything is electronically controlled and voltage is important.
Also a simple fix for bulb/contact issues is to level/clean the two contacts on bulb with some 200 sand paper, lightly scratch a "#" mark on the socket contacts with an o ring pick, apply di-electric grease and reinstall.