General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ugly Tx inspection tag and plate 2014 fxdb

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2015, 07:25 PM
2obscura
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ugly Tx inspection tag and plate 2014 fxdb

I have two issues here with the my plate & sticker in Texas. Hopefully someone can chime in.

Any Texas guys have a solution for displaying the ugly inspection tags that we have to display on our bikes. I have been looking into the laws and can't find any solid info on it. If I could hide it that would be ideal. Unfortunately I am not to sure that that's legal or illegal for that matter. Trying to clean up the rear a bit is all.

My 2014 street bob has the side mounted plate which is kind of ugly. I have seen others flip the bracket to tuck the plate in a bit. But all I have seen is other states without having TX inspection tags. I could trim the inspection stickers plate to match the width of the plate, but would rather hide the thing on the back side.

Could use some other ideas or input, thanks.

I would like to stay with the idea of don't give them a reason to stop you.

Original orientation

My solution still need to trim the tag

Old 02-25-2015, 07:31 PM
TSheff
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,362 Likes on 1,561 Posts

Yes either search ebay or the net for inspection or military base sticker plates. You can get them black or chrome - $9.99 - $29.99 - I've bought several.
BUT - with the new Texas law - go get it inspected and keep the new paper form with your insurance and you'll need it or you can't register your bike. Plate only after March - no inspection sticker.

Old 02-25-2015, 07:35 PM
benford46
Intermediate
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Starting in March you will be required to get an inspection then then get your registration (tags) .no separate inspection sticker.problem solved

Old 02-25-2015, 07:37 PM
TSheff
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,362 Likes on 1,561 Posts

Examples

Old 02-25-2015, 08:44 PM
Bone Doc
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 10,866 Likes on 4,113 Posts

I keep the inspection sticker on a metal backing plate in my saddlebag. If a LEO wants to see it, I'll show it to them. Never been hassled or stopped because it isn't displayed. Nonetheless, as others mentioned, the law will change in March.

Old 02-25-2015, 09:04 PM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,072 Likes on 2,556 Posts

Mine looks like the top picture. And since it's where I don't see it much, I don't care or think about it. BUT...there's no way I'd turn a plate side ways. I just don't care for that "look".

Old 02-25-2015, 09:20 PM
Str8chuter
Road Captain
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

We also have annual Safety Inspections here in Hawaii. I've found that the decal fits perfectly on the top of the drive belt guard. If I'm stopped, I simply show the officer my registration, insurance card and the decal on the belt guard. In the last three years that has happened exactly once and it was essentially a non-event. As always, YMMV.

Ride Safe - Ride Smart

"He Who Lives In Joy Does His Creator's Will".
The Baal Shem Tov, Founder of Chasidic Judaism... ca. 1750's

Old 02-25-2015, 10:38 PM
2obscura
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I totally forgot about the single sticker going into affect soon. I can live with it until then, although I hate to go have it re-inspected. Everything is current, bought it new the day after Christmas. So everything is good until December.

I will just flip it, cut it and wait till next year.

Thanks guys for the reminder and helpful info.

Old 02-25-2015, 10:40 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 929 Likes on 571 Posts

I have been considering selling my house and moving to El Paso. however, I don't think that I want to try to place those tags on my collection of 14 bikes.

I guess that I will check out things in New Mexico now.

Old 02-25-2015, 11:02 PM
Mi3ninos
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,762 Likes on 700 Posts

Originally Posted by lh4x4
I have been considering selling my house and moving to El Paso. however, I don't think that I want to try to place those tags on my collection of 14 bikes.

I guess that I will check out things in New Mexico now.
Have you ever made a post without citing you own 14 bikes? Good news for all 14, no tags necessary in Texas starting this Sunday. 3/1/15 More good news for all 14 bikes (dont forget, at least one from each family too), NM is excellent riding.
See, you always win. Every single post. Congrats.

Quick Reply: Ugly Tx inspection tag and plate 2014 fxdb