General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which model is right for me?

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2015, 09:55 PM
GulfCoastGuy
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a ninja back in my 20s then stopped riding for 15 years. I'm now looking to get back into the sport and could use some advice for narrowing the list to say 3 Harley models that I could buy used. Price range is wide open from cheap to say 15k.

I already took the motorcycle training class so I have my endorsements.

Basically I am looking for a laid back 35-45 mph ride on less busy roads. Just the wind going through my hair and "losing the world" for a bit. I think I'd prefer something somewhat nimble and not heavy feeling. I am 5'10" and 200 lbs. I'm too laid back now to care about speed.

Also, I'd like to learn about exhaust. I've heard some Harley's on the road that were just too loud and would get me in a lot of trouble with my neighbors. I'd like to learn which exhaust has the cool voice without being overly loud. I've heard some bikes in traffic that sound really great without being crazy loud.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 05-28-2015 at 10:33 PM.
Old 05-28-2015, 10:03 PM
QC
Club Member
Received 19,786 Likes on 9,863 Posts

Welcome to the Forum from Colorado!

A Super Glide Custom or a Low Rider sound just like what you're looking for. Good luck on your search.

Old 05-28-2015, 10:04 PM
Kayakguy
Road Captain
Received 83 Likes on 42 Posts

I have a nimble bike already so I was looking at a cruising tourer and went with the Heritage. But the new Lowrider is damn sexy and probably one of the more nimble models past the sportster. Wish I could have one of each, but right now that's not happening.

Best thing to do is ride a few and go with what your heart says.

Old 05-28-2015, 10:11 PM
NDBadlands4-2
Extreme HDF Member
Received 66 Likes on 56 Posts

Two words, "Test Rides". Any bike Harley makes will do what you said you want. Test a few and see what feels best.

Old 05-28-2015, 10:14 PM
mrmarklin
Road Warrior
Received 90 Likes on 45 Posts
Cool

For nimble the Sporster is the best. Dyna and V-Rod are probably a tie. Then touring because of lean angle. IMHO Softails are least nimble.

Don't knowu about Street series. They are smaller.

Old 05-28-2015, 10:15 PM
dirtdobber
Elite HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

With the speeds you will be riding I would consider a older, 03 upward. Low rider, super glide would be my thought with a 88 ci engine. Great mpg, light weight, nible so as you can see it has what your after.
I have bad legs now and our super glide is about the only thing I can ride now on 2 wheels. Our wide glide is almost too much for me with the forward controls. Too costly to go to mid controls.
I suggest getting in some test rides so you can see what you might like.

Find the bike you like then start searching for exhaust for that bike.
Test ride everything you can.

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 05-28-2015 at 10:34 PM.
Old 05-28-2015, 10:21 PM
GulfCoastGuy
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the quick replies.. I like the looks of the Wide-Glide with the flames on the tank and chopper looking front fork but I have no idea if that model will ride "nimble". When I looked online for used Harley's in the Tampa area, there were so many models that I had no idea where to start. I could go see a used bike and think it was ok when perhaps there's a better model out there for my needs. So all your input is useful..

Old 05-28-2015, 10:25 PM
Kayakguy
Road Captain
Received 83 Likes on 42 Posts

The wide glide is not going to handle as well as the low rider because of it rake. But they do look good. And honestly I haven't ridden one so I don't know how much handling is compromised due to that front end. Someone will chime in with experience.

Old 05-28-2015, 10:28 PM
cbump
Cruiser
Received 41 Likes on 20 Posts

Lowrider is probably my favorite bike. Just felt to tippy to me for a first bike so I went softail. Would love it for a second bike someday.

Anyways, look into them as they would be nimble for sure.

Originally Posted by Kayakguy
The wide glide is not going to handle as well as the low rider because of it rake. But they do look good. And honestly I haven't ridden one so I don't know how much handling is compromised due to that front end. Someone will chime in with experience.

Wide Glide is what I wanted when I first started looking until I rode one. The rake, skinny tire, and forward controls all made it harder to handle for me compared to others I rode.

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 05-28-2015 at 10:34 PM.
Old 05-28-2015, 10:34 PM
bklynbob
Grand HDF Member
Received 530 Likes on 376 Posts

2001-2 superglide, 3 or 4 different models those years.get it at good price and put a few bucks into it. You'll love it.

Quick Reply: Which model is right for me?