General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sturgis 2015 Da Bus

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2015, 01:04 PM
roadrage12
Intermediate
Received 18 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Sturgis 2015 Da Bus

Nine years ago at my second rally I remember having a beer at One Eyed Jacks and talking with my friend about getting around. We thought it would be a great idea to have a shuttle service during the rally, especially during the evening hours. Not being a local resident and wanting to miss out the fun we knew it was something we would never do. A few rallies later we have the Da Bus, or found out about then.
This is one of my favorite things to use during the rally. I can go back after a day's riding the area and go into Sturgis or out to the Chip and party without the worry of getting pulled over or being in a wreck. The equipment is older and sometime there is a wait but all in all I have always thought the bus was run pretty good. I didn't know what this year would be like, but as I posted before I kept my expectations low.
First night using it on Monday went off without a hitch. I thought there would be modifications to the times and routes. Apparently they decided to keep the same schedule. On Tuesday we were going out to the Chip for the Skynyrd concert. Caught the bus in Spearfish made it into Sturgis no problem for the transfer over to the Chip. Damn what a cluster that night. Now outside of Sturgis itself the Chip is probably one of the most visited places during the rally. You would think a modification in schedule for a record rally year would happen. No such luck. Buses were coming in to go to the Chip already full, no one getting off. This went on for almost 2 hours before we could get on. At one point we watched some riders almost start a riot with these young kids working for the bus. I really though someone was going to get hurt. Riders demanding refunds and buses to get on. These kids looked like a deer in headlights. Finally a kid called the boss and he had a bus pulled to go just out to the Chip with no stop at the Throttle. Now you would think they thought about this before the rally started with the Chip being the most popular stop because of concerts. The bus showed up everyone got on and we barely made the second band.
I love the Da Bus and will use it again, but some planning needed to be done on these routes for this many people. Our regular driver from Spearfish was great. I've had him every year and he is great guy.
Another 2015 rally experience for you.

Old 08-12-2015, 01:40 PM
RHPAW
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 13,787 Likes on 6,213 Posts

Maybe they could service more people if they pull trailers. I heard it's all the rage now.

Old 08-12-2015, 01:51 PM
Ilovebeer
Cruiser
Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by RHPAW
Maybe they could service more people if they pull trailers. I heard it's all the rage now.
You might be on to something, you can ride your bike to wherever you would like to go for the day and have a few beers. DaBus could pick you up and put your bike on a trailer, (which is where I hear most people's bike is spent on the drive out). They could then drop you and your bike off at your trailer in the trailer park!!!!! Now if they could just clean out the black/grey water tanks on the way out it would be a win, win, win!!!!

Old 08-12-2015, 02:02 PM
heritageblue2013
Grand HDF Member
Received 557 Likes on 308 Posts

They should get some double decker bus's like they use in England. And of course if women are topless, they ride up top for free!

Drive by flashes, America, what a country!

Old 08-12-2015, 02:08 PM
Hasher
Road Captain
Received 331 Likes on 180 Posts

DaBus is one of the best shows in Sturgis.

Old 08-12-2015, 02:33 PM
Reindeer
Supporter
Received 728 Likes on 404 Posts

We used the Jone-Z bus. Minimal waiting, less crowded, $2 beers. Worked great for us.

Old 08-12-2015, 03:31 PM
E8USMCRET
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 20,250 Likes on 6,546 Posts

I stay a the Lamphere Ranch. I can walk to the Full Throttle and Beaver Bar, no need for a Bus for me. It is a good way to get around for cheap though.

Old 08-12-2015, 07:44 PM
01dyna
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2,013 Likes on 655 Posts

Both "Da Bus" and "Jonez" are good services. If you plan to travel a lot, a week wrist band is the way to go. If you only plan to go downtown once or twice throughout the week and drink, Jonez would be more cost efficient.

Old 08-12-2015, 11:12 PM
zeus33
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by E8USMCRET
I stay a the Lamphere Ranch. I can walk to the Full Throttle and Beaver Bar, no need for a Bus for me. It is a good way to get around for cheap though.
ditto, I stay there too.. BTW, I hate the bus, and don't want to wait for it. Also it stops running early, like midnight or 1 am, the bars are still going strong. It's sure nice to leave the bike at the tent and walk across the highway to the FTS. (crawl and stumble home, lol). You have to plan ahead and stay somewhere that you don't need to take a bus. For example don't stay at Shady Acres, it's out in the boonies and a good half hour trip to town. It sucks.