General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Extended warranty question

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2016, 02:44 PM
rick.crociata@gmail.com
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Extended warranty question

Ok so I got steal on my 2013 street glide with 2,300 miles on it. Im interested in getting an extended warranty but not sure if I should go to the dealer or not. I know the extended warranties are third party but im looking for a little guidance or opinions. I just bought the bike and the previous owner obviously didn't ride it. I live in Texas Any info would help, also recommendations on warranty companies too. Thanks

Old 02-22-2016, 03:02 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,543 Likes on 3,794 Posts

I think your bike may qualify for Harley's warranty which would be ever Harley dealer. Remember to negotiate the price. It can very $100's of dollars. Also, it's insurance. You really need to put a lot of miles on your bike to come out ahead..but like some, you may blow it up in 6 months and get a new engine for 50-100$ If you can't work on it yourself and you have to budget your money it would be a good idea.

Old 02-22-2016, 03:13 PM
0maha
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,668 Likes on 1,660 Posts

If you buy the extended warranty, you should buy the credit life insurance and the paint protection package to go with it.

Old 02-22-2016, 04:50 PM
dukdog
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 0maha
If you buy the extended warranty, you should buy the credit life insurance and the paint protection package to go with it.
Sarcasm?

Old 02-22-2016, 05:12 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,543 Likes on 3,794 Posts

Is there paint on a Harley?...

Old 02-22-2016, 07:31 PM
0maha
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,668 Likes on 1,660 Posts

Originally Posted by dukdog
Sarcasm?
Yes.

Unless you are a seriously high-miles rider (say 10k+ per year), any extended warranty plan has "hello, sucker" written all over it.

JMHO.

Not really an opinion, actually. Just basic math. It should be self-evident that the companies that sell these plans do so in order to make money. Which means that, on average, they know that they will collect more in premiums (even after paying very high sales commissions) than they will pay in repairs. Which therefore means that, on average, the customers lose out in the deal.

Those are not opinions. Those are irrefutable facts.

Unless you believe that your riding habits are such that you are significantly more likely than average to require major repairs, these things are a loser.

Old 02-22-2016, 07:52 PM
bdtaylor1979
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 228 Likes on 186 Posts

Originally Posted by rick.crociata@gmail.com
Ok so I got steal on my 2013 street glide with 2,300 miles on it. Im interested in getting an extended warranty but not sure if I should go to the dealer or not. I know the extended warranties are third party but im looking for a little guidance or opinions. I just bought the bike and the previous owner obviously didn't ride it. I live in Texas Any info would help, also recommendations on warranty companies too. Thanks
I would contact Jim palmer who sells cornerstone warranties. They are cheaper than the harley warranty. I have had one on two bikes and never had a problem with them covering repairs. http://www.discountesp.com/#!enroll/cwdi

Yes.

Unless you are a seriously high-miles rider (say 10k+ per year), any extended warranty plan has "hello, sucker" written all over it.

JMHO.

Not really an opinion, actually. Just basic math. It should be self-evident that the companies that sell these plans do so in order to make money. Which means that, on average, they know that they will collect more in premiums (even after paying very high sales commissions) than they will pay in repairs. Which therefore means that, on average, the customers lose out in the deal.

Unless you believe that your riding habits are such that you are significantly more likely than average to require major repairs, these things are a loser.
Actually, it doesn't matter if you are a weekend rider or a high mileage rider, you could have a major repair come up on a brand new vehicle or a high mileage vehicle.

Old 02-23-2016, 02:00 PM
emperor wurm
Road Warrior
Received 95 Likes on 67 Posts

I have worked for a few large OEM's.....Extended warranty is the biggest scam that OE's have.

Old 02-23-2016, 03:05 PM
gotnspikes
Road Warrior
Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts

Harley's Extended warranty covered the maintenance schedule. It was a three year unlimited mileage warranty. I happened to get the extended warranty when I got the bike and put enough miles on the bike to have maintenance done (on Harley's dime, once the amount I paid for the warranty was less than maintenance fees would have been), enough times that it more than paid for the cost of the warranty. Being a Harley warranty holder, also gave me preferential status (put me ahead in line, of non-warranty holders) on getting maintenance/repairs done at the dealership.

I will say I didn't renew the warranty because I'd decided to do my own maintenance, because it ends up being much cheaper still, than paying Harley or anyone else to do it, and at the same time lets me get even more time and familiarize with my bike.

Last edited by gotnspikes; 02-25-2016 at 12:07 PM.
Old 02-23-2016, 06:22 PM
dukdog
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Yes.

JMHO.

I'm with ya. My reply was tongue in cheek.