General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Windscreen experiment failed

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2016, 06:44 AM
Qdog002
Stellar HDF Member
Received 866 Likes on 546 Posts
Default Windscreen experiment failed

I have heard and read of so many cures to eliminate or reduce the notorious "buffeting" associated with wind screens, I had to try and see for myself. I have the HD Compact wind screen for my SGC which has about 2" of travel on the 49mm forks. So I had a couple brackets made up to kick the lower end of the wind screen out about 2" to increase the angle. Tried multiple runs at 60+ mph sliding the screen up and down on the forks.

Results: My head wasn`t bobbing all over the place but it was a constant shaking like a paint can mixer but not that extreme.

So then I switched the brackets to the top to kick out the top of the wind screen and of course made multiple runs while sliding the screen up and down the forks.

Results: Way worse than angled at the bottom and also worse than the normal mounts.

So I realize that the air comes up from the bottom and around the tank but I thought I would give this a try. I`m only out $40.00 bucks for the brackets and who knows, maybe those with the addition of lowers or something else, the buffeting can be reduced or eliminated.

The following 2 users liked this post by Qdog002:
Smogbob (12-17-2016), Sw1 (08-26-2016)
Old 08-26-2016, 08:18 AM
ILMFBL
Road Warrior
Received 132 Likes on 114 Posts

Nice try anyway Qdog. It's always fun trying to beat the system though.

Old 08-26-2016, 09:02 AM
Sw1
Road Captain
Received 51 Likes on 45 Posts

I am glad that you posted this and went through the effort. I was admiring a friends triumph explorer and the windshield that had factory adjustments like that. I thought for sure that moving the upper part forward would help, so I now I know not to bother making something.

Old 08-26-2016, 09:31 AM
Next In Line
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 160 Likes on 126 Posts

Remove the windshield and the problem solves itself.

Old 08-26-2016, 09:45 AM
Crashone
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 241 Likes on 192 Posts

Originally Posted by Next In Line
Sort of.

Have you tried one of the recurve windshields? I put a long rider shield on my Road King and it made a big difference. LRS will run some wicked deals every now and then making them very affordable.
For what it's worth I tried to make my own recurve out of an old windshield by heating the top 2-3" with an industrial heat gun and trying to bend it. It did not work. But I do have a windshield to cut way shorter if I ever want to.

Old 08-26-2016, 10:12 AM
Tampa Fatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 10,431 Likes on 4,751 Posts

Imagination, sometimes works out, sometimes not. You no doubt saved a few hours for someone else. Good post.
I also heard good things about the recurve. I'm lucky I guess, have no probs with mine on the Deluxe although seem only time I sport it is in the winter.

Old 08-26-2016, 10:31 AM
Imold
another old guy

Received 4,614 Likes on 2,726 Posts

Wind deflector legs extending below the windshield along the outside of the fork make a big difference, and I've read that putting a solid piece, leather or plastic, to fill in the space between the forks and between the headlight and fender stop a lot of wind coming from below, too. None of that looks very elegant, but after buffeting for hours, a little bit of ugly doesn't seem so bad. I've given up on small shields to relieve body pressure; all I've tried hammer my head with buffeting, so now it's full shield or naked. And a lot of full shields buffet bad, too.

Old 08-26-2016, 11:12 AM
77dream
Road Master
Received 326 Likes on 158 Posts

This is what I did. Fugly, but estimate it got rid of 80% of the buffeting. I haven't come up with an idea to keep the turbulence down when using the hi-way pegs. That seems to route the air flow up and right under the helmet, especially in a angled head wind. But then that was going 80-90 on the interstate.

Bought a couple clamps that fit the forks on Amazon and got some 1/4" poly-carbonate from a local window shop. Cut it with my little saber-saw and did some forming using a heat gun. You have to do some forming on them or they will vibrate like hell.

Old 08-26-2016, 05:18 PM
Qdog002
Stellar HDF Member
Received 866 Likes on 546 Posts

Originally Posted by Sw1
I am glad that you posted this and went through the effort. I was admiring a friends triumph explorer and the windshield that had factory adjustments like that. I thought for sure that moving the upper part forward would help, so I now I know not to bother making something.
Please remember that I have a SuperGlide Custom. You have a FL which could yield entirely different results because of the larger front end and tank. I think you should still try.

Originally Posted by Next In Line
LOL. Yeah I wear a FF helmet so I am just trying to eliminate some body pressure at highway speed. I just recently added a Mustang backrest to my seat and the wind can only push me back so much now. What a difference!

Originally Posted by Tampa Fatboy
Imagination, sometimes works out, sometimes not. You no doubt saved a few hours for someone else. Good post.
I also heard good things about the recurve. I'm lucky I guess, have no probs with mine on the Deluxe although seem only time I sport it is in the winter.
I was looking at the laminar lip and thinking of giving that a try along with the brackets I made.

Old 12-17-2016, 04:20 AM
Smogbob
Road Captain
Received 95 Likes on 80 Posts

This is the best example I have seen yet, many thanks to the op.

Originally Posted by Qdog002
I have heard and read of so many cures to eliminate or reduce the notorious "buffeting" associated with wind screens, I had to try and see for myself. I have the HD Compact wind screen for my SGC which has about 2" of travel on the 49mm forks. So I had a couple brackets made up to kick the lower end of the wind screen out about 2" to increase the angle. Tried multiple runs at 60+ mph sliding the screen up and down on the forks.

Results: My head wasn`t bobbing all over the place but it was a constant shaking like a paint can mixer but not that extreme.

So then I switched the brackets to the top to kick out the top of the wind screen and of course made multiple runs while sliding the screen up and down the forks.

Results: Way worse than angled at the bottom and also worse than the normal mounts.

So I realize that the air comes up from the bottom and around the tank but I thought I would give this a try. I`m only out $40.00 bucks for the brackets and who knows, maybe those with the addition of lowers or something else, the buffeting can be reduced or eliminated.

Quick Reply: Windscreen experiment failed