General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does anyone ride with a "sticky throttle"?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2009, 01:19 PM
ionate
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Does anyone ride with a "sticky throttle"?

Lately (for the past couple of years now), I have been riding my '08 super glide with the cruise control (is that what it's called? The little thumbwheel in shape of a star underneath the throttle?) tightened up just enough so that my throttle does not automatically spring back to closed. I haven't had any issues with this configuration and in fact seem to like it more than the default, which too me is too springy for street riding.

In this configuration, my bike does not quickly decelerate, just in case I have to take my throttle hand off of it for a brief second, for whatever reason.

I'm wondering though, is the way this "feature" was intended or was it just for long trips when you're using it like a cruise control for long stretches, and meant to be "turned off" when riding around town, etc.?

Does anyone else ride like this??

Am I hurting anything by riding like this all of the time?

Seems like I heard the older harleys were like this (throttle didn't spring back), but I'm sure it was done differently (lack of a spring, etc).

Thanks

Old 08-18-2009, 01:33 PM
Slowpoke84
Road Captain

I use it to lock my throttle slightly open as the bike's warming up so I don't have to keep the enrichener out. Other than that, I personally don't like using it as a cruise control. Doesn't hurt nuthin' though.

The old Harley's throttle didn't spring back as quick 'cuz there was no throttle return cable. It relied on a spring in the carb which wasn't quite as snappy.

Old 08-18-2009, 01:58 PM
Johnnyiroc
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

My Uncle does this too so he can maintain idle...I say fix the carburetor. He rides like that all the time. If I ride his bike I put it back to normal right away. If you want a simpler throttle lock ,buy a throttle meister or something easier to operate. You are not hurting anything other than you may wear out whatever causes the friction to hold the throttle sooner. Personally If i let off, I want the throttle to return....if not I twist the weight on my bar end locking the throttle.

Old 08-18-2009, 02:04 PM
Juno
Banned

Originally Posted by ionate
I'm wondering though, is this the way of the future?

Does anyone else ride like this??

Thanks
Dude, I think you've changed the way people will ride now!

Old 08-18-2009, 02:07 PM
jluvs2ride
Elite HDF Member
Location: Back in the Good Ole USA. South Carolina to be exact.
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Your are correct, older HDs didn't have a throttle return spring. I set the friction on mine just enough so the throttle stays where I put it. I may tighten it up some when I get out on the road, and I tweak it to stay around the speed I want. I loosen it up around town to just enough to keep it from returning. Been doing this for years.

Old 08-18-2009, 02:50 PM
TOMMAY
Stellar HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I've got one of those little levers that attaches to the friction star with a set screw with the lever to the inside between the throttle cables. Full forward,no friction,pulled toward me the throttle locks in place with just enough tension to hold the throttle in place but the throttle grip can still be easily moved. Use it all the time on a road trip,kind of a poor mans cruise control.

Just a little tension on the star wheel feels better to me even around town,keeps the throttle from moving so easily when you're on a bumpy road. Just depends on what you're used to.

It's surprising to me how many people don't even know they have a friction wheel on their throttle. Was talking to a friend of mine just the other day who complained about how tired his hand and wrist got on a road trip. Told him to put a little tension on the star wheel and he could just rest the palm of his hand on the throttle grip and he didn't even know he had it on his bike. Not the first time this has happened.

Good Luck

Tom

Old 08-18-2009, 03:22 PM
oldgeezer
Grand HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I never use the thing.

Old 08-18-2009, 04:15 PM
camman
Cruiser

Always use mine. I have it adjusted so it (slowly) will return when around town but just a touch will tighten it up on the highway. No more wrist strain and more constant speed.

Old 08-18-2009, 05:08 PM
jc93230
1st Gear

Use mine too, but am able to adjust it as I ride to maintain speed and give my hand a break.

Old 08-18-2009, 05:08 PM
danmo
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Yeah, I have mine tensioned all the time. It's really nice.