General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

H-D Sales Efforts - What have you heard?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2006, 04:57 PM
Hound Dog 1
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default H-D Sales Efforts - What have you heard?

I found myself at my local dealer last evening. I chatted with the owner about any recommendations he might have for a custom painter to redo my bagger (I get impatient with paint, and decide to redo from time to time). He produced some recommendations promptly, but told me to price out a new paint job, and then come back to the dealership. He said that he thought that between the value of my trade-in and the additional cost of the new paint, I could probably get a comparably good deal just getting a new 2007 bike.

I thought he was absolutely nuts, but he insisted that I should consider it. He went so far as to make sure that I priced out the paint job first, and then came back to discuss the possibility of a new bike. I was stunned. It's really hard for me to figure how this could be possible, but he was definitely ready to play "Let's Make a Deal."

I just wanted some fresh paint, not a new bike.

Meanwhile, a nearby dealership is offerring 100% of the trade in value of a newly purchased 2006 bike in 18 months. Yes, 2006, not 2007, which probably means they've got a lot of leftover 2006 bikes. Still 100% of value upon trade in 18 months is really amazing. The last I remeber Harley trying that involved Sportsters, and I want to say it was in the late 1980s or early 1990s.

What's going on? Is this time to play some long-term dealmaking with Harley dealerships? Is this a short-term sales effort? Are other dealers trying this kind of stuff?

One thing is for sure. The days of waiting lists are long past. And, no one should be purchasing a Harley above MSRP. In fact, it may be time for significant less than MSRP sales.

Old 08-18-2006, 05:03 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,969 Likes on 1,718 Posts
Default RE: H-D Sales Efforts - What have you heard?

Alot of dealers have to get rid of some 06's. They are only allowed so many bikes and have to move them to get the 07's going. Shop around and you will be able to find deals all over.