General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Winter Storage and Oil Breakdown?

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2011, 05:56 PM
wi.st.rod
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Winter Storage and Oil Breakdown?

Living in Wisconsin, I always winterize and store my bikes (won't ride them through the salt). Part of my normal process is changing the oil. Have always done it, regardless of how close or far away it is from their scheduled interval. In reading countless articles about winterizing bikes, I have read many times that the reason for the oil change is that used (dirty) oil becomes acidic as it sits, and can cause internal corrosion issues.

I've never questioned the logic of this - seemed like cheap insurance for keeping the engine in good shape. However, this year I find myself questioning the need for my pre-storage oil changes. I typically ride 7,000 to 8,000 miles per year. This past year, for a variety of reasons (mainly out of town on business 2/3 of the time), I have only put about 700 miles on each bike!

So, should I change the oil as I normally would, and stop looking for reasons not to change it (and stop being a cheap a$$)? Or, with only 700 miles since the last oil change, should I do all of the rest of the normal winterizing things and skip the oil change? If it makes any difference, the bikes are stored in a heated garage.

And please, no comments about moving to a warm climate and not having to worry about winterizing bikes at all -- I moved to Wisconsin from San Diego, so I already know that living in a year-round riding state provides the best answer to storage questions!

Old 10-17-2011, 06:01 PM
MrMax
Cruiser

I wouldnt change it yet. Oil does not break down over the winter, it does collect moisture/ condensation inside the block if you do not store in a climate controlled garage. Just make sure the last time you ride it you get it up to running temperature to burn off any condensation/moisture before putting it away. Same goes for the first time you start it up in the spring. Get it up to temp to evaporate any condensation from winter storage.

Old 10-17-2011, 06:03 PM
Sgt. Fury
Tourer

With Harley's you gotta remember one thing about the oil system. It's a dry sump system, which means the oil is not just hanging around the crankcase, it's in the oil tank which is completely separate. Most people change the oil for storage and think, all is good, but in reality, the clean oil is just sitting in the oil tank, having never mad a trip near the motor. If you're gonna change the oil for storage, once the new oil is in the tank, take the plugs out and ground them and spin the motor a few times to get the new oil circulated though the motor.

Old 10-17-2011, 06:04 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 929 Likes on 571 Posts

All manufacturers have a stated oil change interval that they recommend for their product which is in miles OR 1 year. Even if you don't have the miles if it is one year change it.

Old 10-17-2011, 06:05 PM
dyna rider
Club Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Default Oil Change

Cheap insurance...better than acidic pitting on engine internals.

Old 10-17-2011, 06:21 PM
Gliden
Club Member
Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts

If all your hops were just short hops in which that engine didn't get the opportunity to burn out any moisture from the last short hop etc...I change it just for peace of mind.

Old 10-17-2011, 06:40 PM
cameraboy
Outstanding HDF Member

it IS cheap insurance, so all you have to lose is maybe 40 bucks....BUT has anyone EVER heard of an engine failing or having problems because the owner didn't change the oil before winter layup? I haven't. Have any of you?

In previous years, I've changed it before layup, and taken it for a ride to make sure that the OLD oil that is left on parts gets washed away by new oil.. but this year I just changed the oil at 25K a week ago, and it's mid october... so I'm going to just put it away after the first salting and not worry about it.

Old 10-17-2011, 07:23 PM
2kids3pets
Elite HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Change it before storage...never could figure out why someone would drop 20k on bike and then cheap out on looking after it