General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anybody use Marvel Mystery Oil in the hog?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2012, 05:03 PM
4 inch pistons
Road Master
Received 141 Likes on 81 Posts
Default Anybody use Marvel Mystery Oil in the hog?

Noticed I was a quart low today and you just can't get Amzoil anywhere close by without a 25 mile trip. I went to Advance Auto and they did not have it, but I saw Marvel Mystery oil additive. I used this a lot back in the 70's in my big US auto V8s back in the day, but quit for some reason. So I bought a quart and added about half of it in the crank and put some in the tank.

I was not expecting any difference in the running--- I just wanted to raise the oil level without mixing brands. But I did notice a pleasant surprise in the smoothness (looseness) that the engine suddenly displayed.

Anybody else out there use MM oil in the crank case? Anybody else have a problem with it?

Old 03-17-2012, 05:07 PM
CobraEd
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I always add some to the gas to lube the top ring & valves. Good stuff!

Old 03-17-2012, 05:27 PM
Jim Kraft
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 113 Likes on 40 Posts

It is a little thin for Harleys, but 1/2 qt. won't hurt. All oils will mix ok. You could have put in Mobil1, or any other oil. Even dino would mix just fine.

Old 03-17-2012, 05:50 PM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 8,534 Likes on 4,632 Posts

Originally Posted by 4 inch pistons
Noticed I was a quart low today and you just can't get Amzoil anywhere close by without a 25 mile trip. I went to Advance Auto and they did not have it, but I saw Marvel Mystery oil additive. I used this a lot back in the 70's in my big US auto V8s back in the day, but quit for some reason. So I bought a quart and added about half of it in the crank and put some in the tank.

I was not expecting any difference in the running--- I just wanted to raise the oil level without mixing brands. But I did notice a pleasant surprise in the smoothness (looseness) that the engine suddenly displayed.

Anybody else out there use MM oil in the crank case? Anybody else have a problem with it?
Well, for one thing, it isn`t motor oil, so why put it in?
You were at an auto parts store, with shelves full of motor oil...

Old 03-17-2012, 05:59 PM
big cahuna
Grand HDF Member
Received 227 Likes on 152 Posts

If your motor has any dirt left in it the mmo will clean it out. I put a oz or dos in the gas every other tank. I've seen it clear up a crappy running Honda, so that convinced me it will clean up a dirty fuel system.,,

Old 03-17-2012, 06:11 PM
4 inch pistons
Road Master
Received 141 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan89FLSTC
Well, for one thing, it isn`t motor oil, so why put it in?
You were at an auto parts store, with shelves full of motor oil...
Sorry guys--- I got a thing about mixing oils. May be part of my OCD issue, but it is my issue and my bike

I have seen the demo from years back where they mix 2 oz gas and 2 oz MM oil and set it on fire. The gas burns but the MM oil is left behind with lube capacity intact. I was impressed. It is not an oil, but an additive, and a good one at that. I was just wondering if others used it?

In the past I have added Seafoam, but I think I will start with the MM in the tank.

Old 03-17-2012, 06:20 PM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 8,534 Likes on 4,632 Posts

Originally Posted by 4 inch pistons
Sorry guys--- I got a thing about mixing oils. May be part of my OCD issue, but it is my issue and my bike
All motor oils can be mixed, without a problem. Synthetic, Dino, it does not matter.

Old 03-17-2012, 06:27 PM
*NIGHT TRAIN*
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Another snake oil/additive thread...

Hot DAMN!

Old 03-17-2012, 06:27 PM
SportsterBob
Club Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

.4/oz of MMO per gallon of fuel in the gas tank provides some lubrication on the upper cylinder walls and soaks into any carbon on the piston dome/combustion chamber/valves and burns off the deposits...Been using it since 1986 with no issues!

Old 03-17-2012, 06:48 PM
BLKBAGGER
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It will clean your motor out real good. But I wouldn't run it very long in there. To thin of an oil for a Harley. Even mixed with what you were running. It's like a 10wt oil.

Quick Reply: Anybody use Marvel Mystery Oil in the hog?