General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2006 softail, sputtering?

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2013, 08:30 PM
Unsung
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2006 softail, sputtering?

I have a 2006 softail standard with carburetor. It seems to do a weird sputter every now and then. It's usually when I'm running at low rpm in 3-4 gear on backroads. It'll make a noise that sounds like it's backfiring through the carb, a "pshhh" noise and when it does this, it sounds like the engine stops running for a very brief moment during this. Any ideas? TC88B, Vane & Hines big shots, otherwise stock to my knowledge.

Old 10-24-2013, 10:13 PM
IronAss
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 12,220 Likes on 4,770 Posts

Mine was doing the same thing after I switched out exhaust a couple weeks ago. I went from a Thunderheader to a set of SE's. It was doing it when cruising at the spot where just enough throttle to keep it going is needed, usually in 3rd or 4th at around 40 MPH or so.

I put on a CV Performance EZ-Just mixture screw a couple years ago. http://www.cv-performance.com/carburetor-parts/

It allows me to just reach down and adjust the fuel/air mixture with a lil thump screw that sticks out of the bottom of the carb.

I just richened it up a tad and the hesitation went away.

Old 10-25-2013, 12:10 AM
2AMGuy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,494 Likes on 1,604 Posts

If it was my bike, I'd pull the carb and either clean it thoroughly myself (or have a tech do it) and install a new accelerator pump diaphragm, as well as new intake seals. Not a lot of money but it is a couple of hours work.

Old 10-25-2013, 02:07 AM
Unsung
Intermediate

I just bought the bike used from a dealer, and I could tell the carb was probably a little dirty from sitting in their showroom. Before I had a chance to run some seafoam through it, it seemed to run better. Is there no mixture adjustment on the stock carburetor? I think I'll run some foam through it, and if that doesn't fix it, I'll do the kit and maybe try that mixture adjuster.

Old 10-25-2013, 03:43 AM
brenn
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Unsung
I just bought the bike used from a dealer, and I could tell the carb was probably a little dirty from sitting in their showroom. Before I had a chance to run some seafoam through it, it seemed to run better. Is there no mixture adjustment on the stock carburetor? I think I'll run some foam through it, and if that doesn't fix it, I'll do the kit and maybe try that mixture adjuster.
The mixture adjustment screw is covered. You have to drill out the soft metal plug over it to get to the screw.

Old 10-25-2013, 06:27 AM
IronAss
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 12,220 Likes on 4,770 Posts

Originally Posted by brenn
The mixture adjustment screw is covered. You have to drill out the soft metal plug over it to get to the screw.
You will have to remove the carb to get to the plug. If you do drill it be very careful to not let the bit go in too far or you will bugger up the mixture screw. Use a small bit, just big enough to allow you to get a pick in the hole you drill and pull the plug out. The EZ-Just is a longer screw with a knurled end that you replace the air/fuel mixture screw with so you can make adjustments without have to remove the carb or try to get up into it with the carb on the bike.

If you are going to remove the carb and clean it, I'd go ahead and get one and put it on. They are not that expensive and can save you some grief if you need to make minor adjustments. They sell an idle adjustment screw also that lets you adjust the idle without having to maneuver a screwdriver down in there.

Old 10-25-2013, 09:45 AM
wyndnface
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,131 Likes on 1,055 Posts

Originally Posted by IronAss
You will have to remove the carb to get to the plug. If you do drill it be very careful to not let the bit go in too far or you will bugger up the mixture screw. Use a small bit, just big enough to allow you to get a pick in the hole you drill and pull the plug out. The EZ-Just is a longer screw with a knurled end that you replace the air/fuel mixture screw with so you can make adjustments without have to remove the carb or try to get up into it with the carb on the bike.

If you are going to remove the carb and clean it, I'd go ahead and get one and put it on. They are not that expensive and can save you some grief if you need to make minor adjustments. They sell an idle adjustment screw also that lets you adjust the idle without having to maneuver a screwdriver down in there.
Great info ironass!

Old 10-25-2013, 01:37 PM
Unsung
Intermediate

Thanks guys, you're all a huge help.

Old 10-26-2013, 05:29 PM
Unsung
Intermediate

I put some foam in it, and after riding about 30 miles or so and it felt like it was running better, so I went down some back roads on the way home and never sputtered once. I "think" it's squared away, we'll see.