General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

High oil pressure after stage 1 a/c install

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2014, 04:41 PM
OsoFat
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default High oil pressure after stage 1 a/c install

I had a strange problem after installing the Fuel Moto stage 1 a/c, but the fix was simple. I'm just posting this for anyone else that sees this issue.

While taking a test ride after installing the new a/c and micro tuner, the bike was running great, but I noticed the oil pressure was in the high 50s. I don't normally monitor the gauge, but that seemed way too high. After running pretty steady and downshifting to a stop, white smoke started pouring out of the exhaust. Holy Crap! Bike was still running fine, with no weird sounds or idiot lights, then the smoking stopped. I rode another mile to the house and pulled the plugs. The rear plug was wet. ECM or the FM micro tuner out of whack? No. I checked all the injector wiring, then I pulled the air filter, to see if blow-by oil was shooting into the throttle body. It was clear. I tried to get it to smoke again, in the garage, but all seemed good. Went on another test ride. Same results, lots of white smoke after coming to a stop. Back in the garage, I pulled the air filter and examined the breather tubes. It's kind of a tight fit, so I thought they might be kinked. Started the bike and revved it, while holding a finger near each tube. Front tube was puffing air, but the rear was not. I pulled that tube off, along with the spacer cap, and carefully reinstalled it. Started the bike and got air puffing from both tubes. Rode out again. Oil pressure was good, around 35 psi, no matter how I rode it, then it dropped as I stopped to about 10 or so, which is normal. No more smoke. Bike is running great.

Evidently, a pinched tube was causing high pressure in the top end, and forcing a small amount of oil past the rings or valves, causing the smoke. I don't think there's any permanent damage. The bike is running good and clean.

Bear

Old 03-23-2014, 05:30 PM
upflying
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 26,264 Likes on 11,133 Posts

Good catch, maybe the mods will consider your post as a sticky.

Old 03-23-2014, 05:47 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,543 Likes on 3,794 Posts

Just another version of thought. Sure if you pinched one tube, the other side would need to share the vent load since basically the crank case vents up thru the pushrod tubes equally and then out thru the one way poppet out. However as designed, the oil injectors at the base of the cylinders are designed to not spray at idle, hence the as designed 8-16lb oil pressure at idle depending on the year. This is designed that way to prevent overheating the oil at idle since short term, the engine can take more heat then the oil and the cylinders do not need to be overwhelmed with oil. At speed (higher rpm), the oil injectors are designed for a maximum of 35 lb pressure volume of oil for cooling. I think for some reason, your pressure relief valve stuck in the valve body and overwhelmed the cylinders with almost twice the volume of oil that is designed for mainly cooling at speed. This would not hurt anything short term. Leaving the high pressure and driving the bike in 95+ temperature in stop and go traffic is rough on the oil if the oil temperature stays way up there.

Attached Thumbnails High oil pressure after stage 1 a/c install-oil-passage-1-.jpg   High oil pressure after stage 1 a/c install-oil-passage-2-jets.jpg  

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 03-23-2014 at 05:59 PM.