General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

harley riding/ RV living

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2014, 08:54 AM
deano360
Road Warrior
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default harley riding/ RV living

does anyone here live in a RV and ride a harley?... this is something we have been thinking of doing, we dont have any kids at home and this house is way to big for the 2 of us.. and its a good way to be able to see the country and not have to worry about having to make the big bucks that we have had to do up to this point.... anyone have any thoughts on this subject?

Old 04-12-2014, 08:58 AM
AlanStansbery
Road Warrior
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

I live in a van…down by the river…

I am not quite ready to retire. But I knew a couple who did this, sold their home and bought an RV to live in. They came to hate it. Their advice was to keep a 'base' (house), someplace to come back to between trips, and for when you get too decrepit to travel around. Your current house might be 'big'. But that RV, no matter what size, will probably start seeming pretty 'small' at some point. If you can't swing the house and the RV, then I'd think…and think again…about throwing the house over and living 'on wheels'. It might be hard or impossible to jump back the other way (from the RV into a house again). At some point, one of you is going to break down and not be able, or want, to travel anymore. How about down-sizing, taking that cash out, and using it to purchase a modest RV?

Keep a place of some sort. Optionally, get an RV to putt around in. Just my opinion.

Alan

Last edited by AlanStansbery; 04-12-2014 at 09:09 AM.
Old 04-12-2014, 09:01 AM
jcapps
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 374 Likes on 215 Posts

Personally I have not lived in an rv but friends have, its far from cheaper then living in a house. Maintenance, fuel, repairs, insurance it all adds up. Not to mention the cost of campground fees.
Best to check campground rates and think about where you will have some kind of a home base for mail, bills etc
If you are going to live in it, its got to be a quality dp, not an entry level. If you buy new its got some kind of warranty, if you buy used, repair costs for everything from the chassis to the house will cost.
Once you seriously weigh these numbers then you can decide whats going to cost big bucks.

Old 04-12-2014, 11:34 AM
upflying
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 26,213 Likes on 11,120 Posts

It gets old living permanently in 200 sq ft.
Rent an RV for 2 weeks and see if you like it.

Old 04-12-2014, 11:53 AM
NSCoyote
Club Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i'd recomend buying a piece of vacant land soemwhere not in the middle of no where but not right in town putting a pad on it septic well and power. then when the urge to travel biters you you can pul lthe chocks and roll out. hell in the right places land is cheap enough you can buy 2 or 3 pieces in various locations/climates to use as base camps

The following users liked this post:
coltsfan (11-22-2016)
Old 04-12-2014, 12:08 PM
deano360
Road Warrior
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

years ago i live in a 16ft vacation trailer with my wife at the time and my son that was 2, we both agree that we dont need much and are wanting to down size... it would be nice to get a small piece of ground and put the rv on it and yes use it as home base, what we are thinking of is about 35-40 ft toyhauler so we have some place for the bikes... i guess everyone has their own idea as to what is to small or to big

there are so many different configurations out there now with the slide outs and all that we should be able to find what will work for us, but , we havent decided to this yet

Old 04-12-2014, 12:20 PM
Eyeball Kid
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 357 Likes on 252 Posts

Originally Posted by deano360
i guess everyone has their own idea as to what is to small or to big
Very true.

My parents have a trailer at a nearby park (for summertime), and are rarely inside. And they usually only go back home once a week, for a couple hours unless a big storm is coming. They cook on a grill outdoors for the most part. Sit on the deck enjoying the sun. Walk to the lake and fish. Ride a golf cart around. Listen to the baseball games on the radio with friends...

Myself, personally, would not be inside much either. Just to sleep, and maybe watch some TV at night, or surf the web.

I love being out-of-doors.

Old 04-12-2014, 12:54 PM
ynots
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

I lived in a RV for 6 years and it was one of the best times of my life. Insurance was cheap, we rented RV spaces by the month at some very nice parks and never paid more than $290.00 a month, some with and some without an additional fee for electricity. All included cable TV and internet. We moved around between being inland and on the coast depending on the season. Some parks charge a hell of a lot more than others. Expect to spend considerably more on daily or weekly rates.
I still have my RV but mostly use my 7x14 cargo trailer and camp at State parks during the summer. We pick a favorite location, set up camp and ride our hearts out during the day. Redneck RV-ing at its finest!

For the past 25 years I have spent 6 months a year (2 months on, 2 months off) working aboard Tug Boats. Im sure the RV lifestyle fits some better than others. I personally loved it!

Old 04-12-2014, 01:35 PM
KW HD
Grand HDF Member
Received 855 Likes on 428 Posts

Myself and my girlfriend lived in my 28' trailer on the banks of the Umpqua river by the fish ladder back in 1980. A place called Winchester Oregon. I could have stayed there forever but after a while she longed for a house. Before the house we also gypsied around staying at state parks for two weeks at a time in places like Doheny and San Clemente state parks here in SoCal. I loved it and hope to do it again someday. Better start saving up! Also lived in Wolf Creek Ore. on a mining claim in the early seventies. Love that part of Oregon ynots.

Old 04-12-2014, 01:36 PM
jlgale
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We just downsized from a 36' Raptor Toy Hauler and 2500 HD Chevy Dura Max Diesel (boy did it pull beautifully). The 5th wheel got to be too much for my disabilities and arthritis. We now how a Itsaca Reyo (driveable diesel) and a Haulmark V-Nose Low Hauler 7x16 for the bikes (now I wish I gone to 8' wide). I have a Tri Glide and it takes up a lot of space. The driveable is so easy to set up! Waiting for the other half to retire so we can take some longer trips! I love it, although sometimes I get a little claustrophobic when inside the Reyo but you don't spend a lot of time inside.

Quick Reply: harley riding/ RV living