General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

05 Road King won't crank

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2014, 10:03 PM
youwish
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 05 Road King won't crank

Bike was running fine, put it away one day went back to ride it another and it wouldn't fire, just cranked and cranked and cranked. Changed my spark plugs, same thing. My battery was old so I replaced that and was going to change my crank position sensor. Put the new battery in tonight and wanted to try and see if it worked prior to opening the crank position sensor and maybe stick some money back in my pocket, and it won't even turn over now. Turn the ignition on and the everything comes on, fuel pump, lights, etc... but there's nothing, like the ignition isn't even on. Any thoughts?

Old 07-11-2014, 09:32 AM
wraplock
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

did you bring the battery up to full charge before installing it? You never know how long the new battery was on the shelf before you picked it up. It could be low. Once you get it to crank check your plugs for spark. If no spark work backwards to find where your system is breaking down.

Old 07-11-2014, 09:55 AM
youwish
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yep, the battery is fully charged. It's just weird, cranked just fine before I replaced the battery but wouldn't start. Now I can't even get it to crank, when I hit the button it acts like the ignition isn't even on, even though everything appears to be working...

Old 07-11-2014, 10:59 AM
wraplock
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm not up to date on the newer bikes but I would try to jump the starter solenoid to see if it cranks. Doing this removes everything else from the starting circuit. Maybe a problem with the cable to the starter motor or the "Run" switch on the handlebar?

Old 07-11-2014, 11:39 AM
Thumper09
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Dumb question, I know, but did you get the right battery? May be fully charged to light the lights but not enough cranking amps to turn the motor?

Did you try putting the old battery back in to see if it would crank, since it was cranking before with the old battery.

Old 07-11-2014, 11:48 AM
JohnSWA
Road Captain
Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts

Pin hole in the fuel pump line. How much fuel is in your tank? This is a pretty common problem with the hard plastic flex line coming from the QD (quick disconnect) fitting on the lower part of your tank and to your fuel pump. The problem is that the hose is a bit too long and it rubs up against the top of the tank wearing a very small hole and the line which causes your bike not to start. Mine would not start when my tank was about half full exposing the the line to the air in the tank. It's not a difficult fix and do not go back with a Harley fuel line. Get a immersible fuel line from napa and you're golden!

Old 07-11-2014, 11:59 AM
longrideshields-1
Premium Sponsor
Received 74 Likes on 47 Posts

I would charge your old battery if you still have it, put it back in and see if you are back to square one. You haven't messed with anything else at this point aside from battery?

General Inquiries:
Info@LongRideShields.com
Sales and Marketing:
Sales@LongRideShields.com
Phone:

Old 07-11-2014, 12:03 PM
Scrmnvtwins
Stellar HDF Member
Received 99 Likes on 73 Posts

No crank sounds like a bad connection, Check your battery cables at the battery then follow the big Positive cable to the starter and confirm it is connected good.