Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Problems starting 03 superglide

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2014, 08:18 AM
CajunSausage
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Problems starting 03 superglide

I am hoping someone can give me some ideas on what and how to check the starting system on my bike. I do have a way to start it, but I have to run it down the street and pop the clutch, but it won't start from the start button.

I have a 2003 Dyna Superglide. When I press the start button, I hear the vacuum down by the starter solenoid and I hear it clicking each time I press it. I took the solenoid appart and cleaned off the contacts and reseated the cables. I reseated the battery cables and had just recently replaced it. It just wont even try to turn over the engine. I don't know what's next to check after the solenoid, if it's the voltage regulator next or what. And even though I hear the solenoid clicking, I don't know if it's working properly.

I can't afford a lot of money sending it to Harley to check everything, so I've come to my online experts. Any ideas what I can do to verify that all parts are working properly or what may be the problem?

Thanks in advance.

Old 02-09-2014, 08:21 AM
TAMUFAN
Road Warrior

I know this may be obvious but, how is the battery situation? New/old?

Old 02-09-2014, 08:49 AM
InvaderCC
6th Gear

Have you checked the battery ? Unless you have a break out box diagnoissing your electrical problem maybe a issue..

If it is not the battery my next suggestion would be to bypass the switch on your handle bars ..It is not very hard to do but i would suggest you google the directions for the how to....

I would also trace all wiring in the ignition circuit looking for lose connectore or broken wires...

If the bike is starting when you push start it it means that it most likely will be the Battery ,Handle bar switch ,soilenoid or starter...

Due to the fact it does start it is unlikely to be anything like the ignition module ,bank angle sensor,crank case sensor or TCM module.....

So my suggestion is start simple in this order check your battery first,Switch second starter and solenoid third...P.M me if you need anything further ..I am a builder and maybe be able to give you a hand over the phone ...

Last edited by InvaderCC; 02-09-2014 at 08:52 AM.
Old 02-09-2014, 11:08 AM
CajunSausage
6th Gear

Thank you very much guys. I'll post back what I find from your suggestions. The battery was replaced in August last year. It was on a battery tender while I went back to Afghanistan for 2 months and then I rode it every day through december when I got back. I periodically rode it in January, but it was definitely enough to keep the battery up. if my battery is dieing again, I've got bigger problems.

Last edited by CajunSausage; 02-09-2014 at 11:12 AM.
Old 02-09-2014, 02:43 PM
seniorsuperglideE8
Supporter

Received 4,299 Likes on 2,353 Posts

You can bypass the switch by removing the solenoid cover and pushing on the plunger. Once you get the motor running, do a voltage check to the battery, should have about 13.5 v at idle and 14.2 at 2200rpms. Check for voltage at the posts. You could also take the battery out of the bike do a full charge then take the battery to a shop where they test the battery. If the battery checks good, voltage checks good, take the primary chain inspection cover off, if you smell burnt odors then your stator is fried. You may also have to do a stator check. Check the DIY section for charge sys. testing.

Old 02-09-2014, 02:58 PM
hdbob2006
Stellar HDF Member
Received 419 Likes on 297 Posts

Maybe you bought a junk battery.It does happen you know. I'd start by charging the battery overnight,then take it to Autozone,Carquest,whatever you have nearby,and have them LOAD Test it. [even if the battery has 12.7 voltage,doesn't mean it's any good-needs a load test]

Old 02-09-2014, 03:49 PM
Jeff's 1st Harley
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I bought a junk battery this past November on the internet. The thing was supposed to have 500 cold cranking amps and for a few weeks it worked really good. Cold weather came and on the battery tender it went for a couple of weeks. Went to ride one warm day and the damn thing was deader than Custer's nuts. Checked it on my volt meter and it only had 10.4 volts sitting idle. Went to Hd and got a real battery and no more problems.

Old 02-09-2014, 05:04 PM
CajunSausage
6th Gear

I went ahead and checked the battery. It looks fine. It was at 12.49 volts at run, when I pressed the start button, it didn't drop below 12 so it's still from what i can tell very good. I've never actually tried pressing the plunger when the solenoid was open and the bike on....will I need to suplement my hand with something to push it? I was looking at purchasing a replacement cap that has a plunger incase this happens again....

Old 02-09-2014, 07:20 PM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 8,497 Likes on 4,612 Posts

The first step in troubleshooting a starting problem is to make sure the battery is fully charged and in good condition.

You are not going to be able to determine the condition of the battery with a voltmeter. Charge the battery fully, and have a shop do a load test on it.

Once you know that the battery is fully charged and in good working order you can start to chase down the problem.

Old 02-14-2014, 01:56 PM
CajunSausage
6th Gear

Battery was tested and is good, so I pulled the solenoid cover off and pushed the plunger. Same problem....hear the vacuum click on...but not starting. Not sure what to check next, so I guess it's time to take it in.... crap

Quick Reply: Problems starting 03 superglide